Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

2 hours ago, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

I'm curious to see the figures we get in the CMF series (I am assuming that this has been confirmed). Hopefully, we can be getting a updated Peter Pettigrew figure, as the one in the Shrieking Shack was by far one of the favorite figures for me.

I hadn’t even thought of that, but an updated version of him would be amazing! We still need an updated Sirius, too. 

2 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

So we are getting a D2C, a regular wave and a CMF series.  This is awesome.:wub:

D2C is only just speculation at the moment. Only the rumors about the CMF series and I believe the regular wave as well (if I'm not mistaken) have been hinted at by trustful sources.

Edited by Huigberts Builds

How I could see things working is that if we get a D2C Hogwarts, the CMF will probably be focused on complimenting that set.

in the set itself we will probably get the main characters (Harry Ron Hermione) plus a few teachers. In the CMF we could get variants of those characters, but also other teachers and students. We could get Cedric and Luna in school uniforms so that we get Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw uniforms finally to populate the school.

31 minutes ago, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

Is anyone knowing what month the D2C and normal sets is going to be? I know the CMF will be coming out in September, but I am curious when the actual sets will be coming out.

Safe to assume the same time I'd say, an appropriate time considering Fantastic Beasts 2 is out in the November 

I'd like to see some generic battle packs, maybe a student one with generic students from each of the four houses allowing you to get torsos from each house. And maybe a Death Eater one as well.

9 hours ago, Whovastron said:

How I could see things working is that if we get a D2C Hogwarts, the CMF will probably be focused on complimenting that set.

in the set itself we will probably get the main characters (Harry Ron Hermione) plus a few teachers. In the CMF we could get variants of those characters, but also other teachers and students. We could get Cedric and Luna in school uniforms so that we get Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw uniforms finally to populate the school.

Seeing as Newt's a Hufflepuff it's possible they could use him if Lego just keeps the same uniforms for all the eras, even though it'll be different in the movie.

The way I see it they'll likely market a CMF line as Wizard World CMFs rather than HP CMFs or FB CMFs, that way they can use characters from both eras, I still need to buy the Fantastic Beasts Dimensions packs.

5 hours ago, OneWithTheForce said:

The way I see it they'll likely market a CMF line as Wizard World CMFs rather than HP CMFs or FB CMFs, that way they can use characters from both eras, I still need to buy the Fantastic Beasts Dimensions packs.

Yeah probably. But I still think the majority will be Harry Potter characters, or at least I hope so.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:18 PM, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I hadn’t even thought of that, but an updated version of him would be amazing! We still need an updated Sirius, too. 

Yes, I agree. It was very disappointing that they did not release him as the figure in the last wave unless of course we are counting this jeje. p1100186_small.jpg  

On 10/29/2017 at 2:40 AM, Hypernova888 said:

Honestly, no, I don't think it has. It may not be in the same place Star Wars is in right now, with new film releases, cartoons, toys and other things all orchestrated by Disney, but the Wizarding World never was really quite about the toys or the movies. They started with those books, and they gained success based on the world that was created within them. And the Wizarding World right now is about as strong as it has been in years, at least since the release of Deathly Hallows pt 2 in 2011. The world's not in fever for it all like it used to be, but those stories and products capitalizing on them will be popular for decades to come, with the people who became fans of the original stories largely still very loyal to the brand. Maybe Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them didn't really do as well as the Potter films, and Cursed Child didn't get the same sort of limelight. But it all consolidates into a cloud of strong success--the books keep reselling, the productions continue, and Universal Studios has employees literally standing in their other themed areas with signs just to direct guests to the reason many of them are there: Harry Potter. It's not the way it was, it's not a mania that came alongside the films and the excitement beside every 'premiere' of 'the next installment'. But it's still cemented itself in a very stable position that I doubt will fail any time soon.   

Yeah, don't forget Melbourne in 2019--Harry Potter's EVERYWHERE, like Falcon said. Kids still know him (somehow), even without the movie releases, and absolutely the kids that grew up on this stuff will largely still go for it as adults. I mean, I didn't have the money to get any but one of the Hogwarts sets in the original line. But now? LEGO could clean me out in less than a second if they released a new series with no warning, I'd do my best to get every last set. 

Yeah, Fantastic Beasts could even conceivably continue releasing past 2024 since they said it could sometimes be a little more than two years between releases--though those films may not end up being as wildly popular as the core Potter movies, they'll certainly draw some attention and because of them it makes sense to at least do a little bit for the Potter license, even just to hang onto it a little longer until they can make it worth every penny.

(Also Cursed Child is much better onstage, I'd highly recommend it to anyone. When I first read the script I felt a lot of its jenky-ness too, but I got used to it and by the time I saw it in the Palace Theatre, I was absolutely smitten. Though for the record I guess I still enjoyed the weird script, I knew it'd seem odd even before scripts are way different than books, and I laughed a lot at the funny writing and got attached to the characters. So to each his own, I'm sorry you don't like it very much. But I assure you, even if you don't like it--it's not bad. The show has fantastic reviews. Even if it's not the same sort of thing as the main series, it's not supposed to be the eighth book. Just the next story. Anyway, my apologies, soapbox over.) 

Yeahhh I agree entirely. It's a colour pallet iconic for and specific to LEGO Harry Potter, I think changing it would just be...sort of wrong. It still works with the portrayal in the films, and changing it would kinda devalue past sets a tiny bit from a display standpoint. If I had all of the full Hogwarts sets, and got a rockin' UCS Hogwarts to put next to them, it'd look pretty odd for the new, beautifully updated one to be dark tan next to its sandy predecessors. And I too am nostalgic for the 'puke green' roofs, as my sister used to call the colour. Those tan and green parts made up a huge part of my LEGO collection as a kid, it was like my LEGO identity. Maybe I'm just overly biased, but I think they still fit: sometimes LEGO picks colours a little more extreme than the source material that still (usually) adapt the subject well, just to make the model stand out more. It is still a toy, after all...at least most of the time. 

On the subject of display, It's certain that display is a crucial factor for a UCS set (though it wouldn't actually be UCS it'd be UCS on a practical level so yanno whatever), especially compared to playsets, both from a design and a sales standpoint. A detailed interior would be nice, and I like being able to play with my toys, but I feel certain that if LEGO is going to pull the stops out anywhere, it'd be on the outside of the castle, I think it'd just make the set more valuable. Honestly, though I'm not a crazy collector or anything, I'd mostly just end up displaying the castle. And as much as I'd love to see the great potential of an interior realized--the room of hidden things, or a detailed potions classroom--an ornately-crafted exterior that I can look at and think 'Man, that's Hogwarts' is really what I want. I wouldn't even need figures (though I want the minifig selection to be great in the release), I just love that castle and really, I just want one. I want it in my house, overlooking my work tables, always connecting me to the world I adore. 

though yeah it'd be pretty sick to see a perfectly done grand staircase with moving stairs and portraits of obscure wizards lining every wall up the seven floors but y'know

*edit* Sorry for the uber-long post, love you all. <3 

I enjoyed reading. Do you write?

Anyways, agreed on Lego clearing us out if they do another Lego line.  I'm in the minority here but while I don't think the movies are all that great, the world of HP fascinates me and I still go back on forth on pulling the trigger for the latest series from 2012. New sets would be day 1 buy for me.

I'm more of a LEGO Train fan than Harry Potter fan, but I might get a few sets.  I just hope they do a proper, really good Hogwarts Express, as the other two were disappointing.  Steam trains are not octagonal, but round.  I think a Hogwarts Express more like the Emerald Night is needed.

Edited by Vilhelm22

6 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I'm more of a LEGO Train fan than Harry Potter fan, but I might get a few sets.  I just hope they do a proper, really good Hogwarts Express, as the other two were disappointing.  Steam trains are not octagonal, but round.  I think a Hogwarts Express more like the Emerald Night is needed.

Plus, steam trains have tenders (holds the coal and water behind the cab, in case you don’t know the term). Got the first Hogwarts Express with Platform 9 3/4 back in the day, and couldn’t understand why Lego missed off half the train! So long as any new sets are a bit more accurate, I’ll be happy.

Since Niantic just announced a Harry Potter Go game to come out next year, I think there will be plenty of Pottermania. As someone who only got one HP set immediately coming out of my Dark Ages, I don't need new movies to buy these sets.

Weird, it's almost like there's going to be some kind of big media push for Harry Potter next year. It's almost like it's starting to make sense that there be some Lego sets.

1 hour ago, InnerRayg said:

Weird, it's almost like there's going to be some kind of big media push for Harry Potter next year. It's almost like it's starting to make sense that there be some Lego sets.

Fantastic Beasts 2 comes out next year. So I'd say that's why :classic:

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Fantastic Beasts 2 comes out next year. So I'd say that's why :classic:

er...i curious... does Fantastic Beasts 2 really have big impact?

17 minutes ago, reeve86 said:

er...i curious... does Fantastic Beasts 2 really have big impact?

Well the first one made over $800 million, which is good. Lego has made sets of franchises that grossed far less at the box office.

On 29/10/2017 at 2:07 AM, GryffindorResistance said:

4. Harry Potter appeals to EVERYONE. Whether it be the young kids or adults that have followed it since the beginning, everyone would be willing to build parts of Hogwarts, creatures, and locations from the beloved franchise.

It may appeal to all age groups but it doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone.

The other good thing about HP in the LEGO world is that it is quite girl friendly - from what I can tell looking at people at platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross and outside Harry Potter shops is that the majority of fans buying merchandise are probably girls - and it is also international - many of those people at platform 9 3/4 are Japanese and Chinese tourists. This gives a massive audience to buy the products. It also means that the theme doesn't get split like Superheroes into "boy" sets and "girl" sets, with mainly male minifigures for the boys and mainly female minidolls for the girls.

16 hours ago, MAB said:

It may appeal to all age groups but it doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone.

The other good thing about HP in the LEGO world is that it is quite girl friendly - from what I can tell looking at people at platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross and outside Harry Potter shops is that the majority of fans buying merchandise are probably girls - and it is also international - many of those people at platform 9 3/4 are Japanese and Chinese tourists. This gives a massive audience to buy the products. It also means that the theme doesn't get split like Superheroes into "boy" sets and "girl" sets, with mainly male minifigures for the boys and mainly female minidolls for the girls.

Hit the nail on the head there. here in the U.K., Primark (a high street clothes shop) has an exclusive Harry Potter clothes range that is 100% for girls with no boys clothes, except maybe a jumper or two, so the audience is definitely there to expand Lego's reach.

If Harry Potter merch is primarily targeted at girls these days... what if it's a mini doll theme with a minifigure CMF line?? I have nothing against the minidoll lines and am in fact happy they exist but my personal preference is for minifigures so that would be a bit of a bummer to me. Still, I think LEGO is wise enough to know that HP sets will attract an older demographic in addition to kids, so they'd keep it minifigure. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

9 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

If Harry Potter merch is primarily targeted at girls these days... what if it's a mini doll theme with a minifigure CMF line?? I have nothing against the minidoll lines and am in fact happy they exist but my personal preference is for minifigures so that would be a bit of a bummer to me. Still, I think LEGO is wise enough to know that HP sets will attract an older demographic in addition to kids, so they'd keep it minifigure. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

I don't think it is necessarily marketed towards girls, just that girls buy the stuff. I doubt they would mix minidolls and minifigures within a theme. For example, the is the DC Super Hero Girls is a separate theme and franchise to DC Comics Super Heroes. 

I can see a minidolls Harry Potter line happening. Probably focused on Hermione, Ginny and Luna

I hope and think they are not that stupid and crazy :wacko:

Minidolls have a very narrow niche; young girls (yes I know some AFOL like them as well). Minifigs are more neutral in a way and have a brother range of potential buyers. HP have a huge adult fanbase that Lego probably want to propose to, then minifigs are the way to go :wink: