Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, RealGeronimo11 said:

There is the possibility of multiple D2C sets like in the Simpsons. Perhaps 2 castles with components that connect together like in the 2010 and 2011 Hogwarts sets

I thing that would be quite unlikely. The Simpson sets are completely different buildings. It doesn't really fit with how lego produce their sets, in my opinion, to do two very expensive sets that are just different parts of the same building. They've not done anything like that before in this scale as far as I'm aware.

also I think people are forgetting that the design of the castle does not lend itself well to a playsets if we were to get the complete castle. There are a lot of thin buildings and towers that form areas with courtyards in between that would be quite hard to reproduce in a playset. The only way would be a scale model.

Just now, Whovastron said:

I thing that would be quite unlikely. The Simpson sets are completely different buildings. It doesn't really fit with how lego produce their sets, in my opinion, to do two very expensive sets that are just different parts of the same building. They've not done anything like that before in this scale as far as I'm aware.

also I think people are forgetting that the design of the castle does not lend itself well to a playsets if we were to get the complete castle. There are a lot of thin buildings and towers that form areas with courtyards in between that would be quite hard to reproduce in a playset. The only way would be a scale model.

Good point. In that case, I think the most realistic outcome would be like the Disney Castle with multiple small rooms

2 hours ago, RealGeronimo11 said:

Good point. In that case, I think the most realistic outcome would be like the Disney Castle with multiple small rooms

I would really prefer a more spread out castle, since Hogwarts has so many buildings and locations that a single huge castle wouldn’t really work. I’d be okay with small rooms as long as there’s some playability and some display value. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I would really prefer a more spread out castle, since Hogwarts has so many buildings and locations that a single huge castle wouldn’t really work. I’d be okay with small rooms as long as there’s some playability and some display value. 

I agree, as long as they have at least the four common rooms, the Great Hall, Dumbledore's office and the Chamber of Secrets; I'll be happy. Do you think it's a stretch to think TLG will include the Quidditch pitch, Forbidden Forest, Hagrid's Hut and Whomping Willow?

They could make a series of sets, each a different wing/room/area of Hogwarts that are their own sets, but have the ability to lock together to create a massive Hogwarts.

But I suspect that's not gonna happen...

2 hours ago, GeekByKnight said:

They could make a series of sets, each a different wing/room/area of Hogwarts that are their own sets, but have the ability to lock together to create a massive Hogwarts.

But I suspect that's not gonna happen...

I would love if they did it like the Winter Village. Every year would be a different section. We could get the Great Hall, Dumbledore's office, the various towers, the bridge, Hagrid's hut, the forest, the Quidditch pitch, and so on. Plus more sets means more minifigures, like specific teachers tied to the included rooms. (Snape with Potions, Hooch with the Quidditch pitch, Trelawney with Divination, etc.)

Edited by BlueberryWaffles

2 hours ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

I would love if they did it like the Winter Village. Every year would be a different section. We could get the Great Hall, Dumbledore's office, the various towers, the bridge, Hagrid's hut, the forest, the Quidditch pitch, and so on. Plus more sets means more minifigures, like specific teachers tied to the included rooms. (Snape with Potions, Hooch with the Quidditch pitch, Trelawney with Divination, etc.)

That's a great idea! I wish TLG would see stuff like this and actually use our ideas so they can see what customers are more likely to buy and so they get more money

On 25/10/2017 at 7:40 PM, BlueberryWaffles said:

The downside of something like that is taking probably 10 years before it is complete. If people know that, it is a huge barrier to buying into it. And during that time people move on from LEGO, new people may come in but realise they will never get the old bits and so don't buy new sets, minifigure detail will change and so those in later sets will look better than older sets.

And the big one - there is nothing to say that LEGO would ever complete it. Imagine spending the best part of $1000 on sets over 5 years getting half way there and then they decide to scrap the project. Just like they did with LOTR, never producing anything Gondor related.

Edited by MAB

On 25-10-2017 at 1:11 PM, Whovastron said:

An approach like this would also be cool for me though, even if it has't really got many classrooms or anything like that.

ca05ca61b832ddd2755bf602fd358fcf[1].jpg

13 minutes ago, GriffindorForLife said:

An approach like this would also be cool for me though, even if it has't really got many classrooms or anything like that.

ca05ca61b832ddd2755bf602fd358fcf[1].jpg

I agree, that's pretty much perfect. Add the main tower and classrooms, the Chamber of Secrets, common rooms, etc and I'll definitely buy it!

1 hour ago, RealGeronimo11 said:

I agree, that's pretty much perfect. Add the main tower and classrooms, the Chamber of Secrets, common rooms, etc and I'll definitely buy it!

I think we are dreaming a bit 2 much here.. Thing is the old official Hogwarts set was huge - but only because it used many large pieces. Today Lego tends 2 build with many mall pieces. Most of these wall/tower or stone pieces weren't used for quite a long time. So I wouldn't get my hopes up... with 2000 pieces you may build a half decent Great hall & a fassade for it..

The most expensive pirate ship yet (Silent Mary) is "microfig scale" & doesn't have any interior at all. So either we'll get a small part of Hogwarts or microscale..

Different question: Do you guys & gals think the walls should be tan again? Wouldn't dark tan look better? Or even gray?

Just now, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I think we are dreaming a bit 2 much here.. Thing is the old official Hogwarts set was huge - but only because it used many large pieces. Today Lego tends 2 build with many mall pieces. Most of these wall/tower or stone pieces weren't used for quite a long time. So I wouldn't get my hopes up... with 2000 pieces you may build a half decent Great hall & a fassade for it..

The most expensive pirate ship yet (Silent Mary) is "microfig scale" & doesn't have any interior at all. So either we'll get a small part of Hogwarts or microscale..

Different question: Do you guys & gals think the walls should be tan again? Wouldn't dark tan look better? Or even gray?

I think they'll go with the scale like the Disney Castle did. 

Also, I think the colours should be just a little darker than the ones in the previous Hogwarts sets although I doubt they'll change it since they've been using it since 2001

I still think we are getting our hopes up for a large incredibly detailed set. I'd say we will be lucky if we get something similar to the Disney castle. A nice looking facade with some small rooms inside of it.

Just now, blackknightrises said:

I still think we are getting our hopes up for a large incredibly detailed set. I'd say we will be lucky if we get something similar to the Disney castle. A nice looking facade with some small rooms inside of it.

As much as I would love a larger, more detailed and/or modular approach to a Hogwarts Castle, I think you're right. Look at the Joker Manor... LEGO had the opportunity to do a large, detailed Wayne Manor that would showcase the exceptional interior designs shown in the movie... instead they took the Disney Castle approach, with tiny little rooms that merely suggested the in-movie equivalents. My guess is that a D2C Hogwarts is going to look great from the outside but offer very little in the way of interiors, serving more as a display piece than a set you would want to interact with. <sigh>

2 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Addressing your points/questions in order - 

I expect any Hogwarts, D2C or otherwise, to be comprised of both smaller intricately assembled multi piece sections AND larger BURPs and castle walls. 

The last Hogwarts was very much like this. Mircoscale for the exterior with minifig-ish scaled sections to add play value. 

I would LOVE dark tan, it would help to differentiate this new set from the previous ones.  

53 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

As much as I would love a larger, more detailed and/or modular approach to a Hogwarts Castle, I think you're right. Look at the Joker Manor... LEGO had the opportunity to do a large, detailed Wayne Manor that would showcase the exceptional interior designs shown in the movie... instead they took the Disney Castle approach, with tiny little rooms that merely suggested the in-movie equivalents. My guess is that a D2C Hogwarts is going to look great from the outside but offer very little in the way of interiors, serving more as a display piece than a set you would want to interact with. <sigh>

The interior of Hogwarts is more important than the exterior isn't it? 

The last Hogwarts had 1290 pieces if we get a D2C one we can expect to get between 3 and 4 times that piece count, but maybe only twice the size, the rest will go to make more details...

I think the best way lego could do the set is to give a few large buildings/towers for example;

Griffindor Tower

the Great Hall

the clocktower

the astronomy tower

greenhouse

the building the bridge from the great hall connects to

and then give us some walls/bridges/buildings without interior that can connect to the main buildings in different arrangements so everyone can have their own personalised rendition of the layout.

hogwarts doesn't really have a solid front face that can be utilised in the same fashion as the Disney castle, Arkham and Wayne manor. So having mulituple modular buildings that can open to reveal interiors and can be connected would probably be the most viable way to do it, and if they do a few generic towers/buildings, it can give some the opportunity to buy a second set to add more to their layout

8 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I think the same, the colors tan and sand green used previously are totally passed, and are adjusted much more to the reality to use the dark tan and the dark gray.

A few months ago I used these colors to create a Hogwarts MOC (image) and I think they are much better than the colors that LEGO used previously in the Hogwarts sets.

35514645676_1cff072044_z.jpg

HOGWARTS CASTLE by Etel Enzos, en Flickr

1 hour ago, ETELENZOS92 said:

I think the same, the colors tan and sand green used previously are totally passed, and are adjusted much more to the reality to use the dark tan and the dark gray.

A few months ago I used these colors to create a Hogwarts MOC (image) and I think they are much better than the colors that LEGO used previously in the Hogwarts sets.

HOGWARTS CASTLE by Etel Enzos, en Flickr

This looks incredible! And the most interesting part are indeed the colours; they look even better than in my imagination.
How many pieces did you need? Because I assume this took waaay more pieces than the Disney castle, which means your MOC is probably bigger and has more interior (which is even more awesome btw; I've checked it out) than any D2C set would...

12 hours ago, GriffindorForLife said:

*snap or something like that, used to be a cool picture here etc.*

Tbh, this is almost exactly where I'm hoping for. Just put the sections in a different order, add a tiny boathouse on ground level (so the figures don't have to climb the rocks xD), a tiny greenhouse (last one we got was actually pretty good) and maybe, just maybe make the Marble Staircase tower a little bit wider, than it would be perfect. Can I find more pictures of this moc somewhere online? Because I'm very interested on the inside and how many bricks it used.

10 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Yeah we're indeed dreaming too much, but you can always hope :p. However I still think we might see the return of a few bigger pieces (if we get a hogwarts d2c), some of them do a pretty good job on portraying the building, better than they could ever do (on a minifigure scale) with smaller pieces.

Speaking of the Silent Mary, (if the rumours are true) looking at the prize we can expect something about twice as big as the silent Mary (block count wise) which would be enough to capture a pretty big section of the hogwarts exterior + a decent interior, which usually doesn't need too many blocks anyway, most of them will be used on the outside like in most other sets. And besides, the silent mary's interior was barely visible on screen, so they really couldn't do too much with that set.

Also for your last question, I'm not too sure if it should change. The ones we got so far weren't the most screen accurate pieces, but anything other than that is a little too dark in my opinion. So I think they should keep it the way it is right now. It's not perfect, but at least it will fit next to the older sets. Also the colours might not be screen accurate, but it is Lego's version of it, which is almost as nostalgic to me as the movie versions are.

I'm this potential hogwarts I'd be disappointed if they included the Chamber of Secrets, as some people has suggested. It would be small and not very playable, and would mean the castle would have to have a big base under the main buildings to house it, using up more pieces.

a chamber of secrets would be best served in a £100-£140 set to get a large diorama with both sides of the room with some cool snake head builds, a central path, the giant head and a decent brick-built basalisk.

play features could include opening statue Mouth for the snake to come through, parts of the statue could explode like when the snake attacks too. Minifigs would obviously be Harry, Tom Riddle, Ginny and Fawks