Robert8

Jurassic World 2018 - Rumors and Discussion

Carnotaurus gets a half-assed new head mould and re-uses the Indominus body. I can't say I'm surprised, but that is disappointing.

Apparently Stygimoloch is good though, which is something at least.

I wouldn't take that guys word for 100% how the mold will look: this is a guy who complained that the figure was too brown instead of "rust"  and that the trailer was iconic!

A oversized Carnotaurus stars in this set – the body is a repaint of 2015’s Indominus Rex, but with a new head sculpt and arms (featuring only 3 fingers, rather than the proper 4). The head sculpt looks incredibly cartoony and generic, not resembling that of the films dinosaur at all. Her colors are light brown with darker brown overtop, and a few small spots of orange – again, it looks nothing like the vividly rust colored Carnotaurus from the film

This is the description. Yes, his language is fanboyish, but it still paints a mediocre picture for the design.

I was personally hoping for a full on new set of moulds for Carnotaurus so the re-use is already disappointing, but this thing might not look very good either.         

52 minutes ago, doclord said:

I wouldn't take that guys word for 100% how the mold will look: this is a guy who complained that the figure was too brown instead of "rust"  and that the trailer was iconic!

To be fair, that article is mainly tailored to Jurassic fans, and not those who follow LEGO - so for websites like this, some of the descriptions may fall flat. However, when it comes to the Carno, what color would you call it?

7geHoRX.jpg

The juniors rex set, stygimoloch, and carnotaurus sets sound like promising must haves for me, I'm really liking the sound of these structure based sets. I'm still undecided on the mansion, we really need images.

Though carnotaurus reusing the indominus body is a surprise, you'd think they'd invest in medium sized dino molds so they can be reused. Stygimoloch sounds like it'll be completely satisfying, especially since I didn't expect new arm molds for it. I'm not sure if I like Blue being beige and aquamarine, because it's clear that she's grey at this point, and I'm really hoping the tiny dinosaur is a new compy-like mold.

I'm happy that Owen gets a new accurate face with a mustache, but I'm curious as to which hairpiece he's using, Han Solo? Either way a mullet looking hairpiece isn't accurate at all. And now I'm interested in how those mercenary figures look, as well as that green juniors raptor, which was a missed opportunity to make it beige like the ones in Jurassic Park if they wanted a random raptor in a set.

Edited by Raptor of Vengeance

The sets sound a bit disappointing. I’m happy with the new dinosaurs but reusing the exact same Blue molds twice in one line is ridiculous. She should’ve just been kept in the biggest set and a different dinosaur like the Baryonyx should’ve been in the smaller set she’s in. 5 Owen figures is complete overkill, especially when compared to the 1 he got with the regular sets last time. I’m definitely picking up the Juniors sets because I honestly don’t have a problem with most of the builds (even though they’re always simplistic) and they’ve got awesome sounding dinosaurs. Rexy being a reuse is kind of boring to me, since they could’ve printed her darker like she is in the movie and include the new scars from her battle with the Indominus. The lack of a Mosasaurus is again disappointing as is the lack of popular new herbivores like a Stegosaurus or a large sauropod (although that would make a set very very expensive). An Ian Malcolm figure would make for a great promotional item given that he doesn’t seem to be involved with the action happening in the film but the absence of Lockwood is entirely inexcusable. There’s an entire set revolving around a dinosaur breakout at HIS mansion and he isn’t even there?? I’m very glad we’re getting the Stgyimoloch and a Carnotaurus even if it’s too big. The illustration still looked great and I’ll take any new large dinosaurs I can get. The babies sound like a cool new mold as well. I’m just going to get these from Amazon probably in June when I see the movie and they’ll be discounted. 

After reading those descriptions I can only feel disappointed.The Carnotaurus is such a let down,looks like Lego took the easy route.Oh well I'll spent my money on the Solo sets.

I wonder what the Jeep and mansion will look like.

What I dislike the most, is the fact that there will probably be no JP tribute set :(.

16 hours ago, BasiliskSoldier said:

So apparently this is a sketch of what the Carnotaurus is going to look like.

Not really film or paleontologically accurate, and definitely too big, but not nearly as bad as the description made me fear. Would definitely have preferred a unique set of moulds instead of mostly re-used Indominus parts, but this is fine.

If it looks like that I ain't even gonna be mad. That still looks cool despite it being very oversized.

What LEGO needed to do was create a new mid-size Dino mold.. they could have used the body and legs interchangeably with new heads an arms for dinos like Carnotaurus, Allosaurus, and Baryonyx.

p51oKxu.jpg

Excuse the crude mock-up

Well, now I don't have to draw my own crude mock-up of a lego medium sized theropod line. Yeah, it's pretty hard to argue that this isn't a little lazy and not terribly forwards thinking on Lego's part.

Hey, since you seem to have seen the prelims, does the Indoraptor re-use any existing moulds, or is it all new pieces?

No offense, but why on Earth would Lego ever do that? It's essentially an identical mold scaled down, and Lego doesn't give two Hoots about accurate scale, they just want to give you dinosaurs that can bite minifigs. Literally all those ideas would work just as well with the indominus mold and a new head rather than investing in an entirely new body, legs, and tail.

The way it was sketched was by downsizing the existing mould. If you wanted to make a real version of those you'd want a unique design for the mould.

And the reason you'd want them smaller is so that they could fit into cheaper sets. You could fit them into something like 5885 instead of something like 5886 or 75918

Just now, InnerRayg said:

No offense, but why on Earth would Lego ever do that? It's essentially an identical mold scaled down, and Lego doesn't give two Hoots about accurate scale, they just want to give you dinosaurs that can bite minifigs. Literally all those ideas would work just as well with the indominus mold and a new head rather than investing in an entirely new body, legs, and tail.

By that argument, why not make the Raptors the same size as the Tyrannosaurus? A little variety never hurts, and only adds to the play factor - I was just trying to illustrate how a mid size mold could go a long way and not be a one hit wonder.

Plus, it offers more price flexibility.

2 minutes ago, BasiliskSoldier said:

Well, now I don't have to draw my own crude mock-up of a lego medium sized theropod line. Yeah, it's pretty hard to argue that this isn't a little lazy and not terribly forwards thinking on Lego's part.

Hey, since you seem to have seen the prelims, does the Indoraptor re-use any existing moulds, or is it all new pieces?

From what I saw, I believe it used the Indominus arms but was all new otherwise - it's a new large tier sculpt.

Edited by ChrisLikesDinos

1 hour ago, ChrisLikesDinos said:

By that argument, why not make the Raptors the same size as the Tyrannosaurus? A little variety never hurts, and only adds to the play factor - I was just trying to illustrate how a mid size mold could go a long way and not be a one hit wonder.

Plus, it offers more price flexibility.

From what I saw, I believe it used the Indominus arms but was all new otherwise - it's a new large tier sculpt.

Do you know if the JW sets are being shown at the London Toy Fair that's currently going on?

12 minutes ago, Bbrink1996 said:

Do you know if the JW sets are being shown at the London Toy Fair that's currently going on?

Mattel wanted to show off their JW lineup sooner, but Universal said not publicly til Feb. Toy Fair -- I imagine the same applies to LEGO, sadly.

Edited by ChrisLikesDinos

1 hour ago, ChrisLikesDinos said:

Mattel wanted to show off their JW lineup sooner, but Universal said not publicly til Feb. Toy Fair -- I imagine the same applies to LEGO, sadly.

I can confirm this having had communications with their PR team - LEGO will not be in attendance at London Toy Fair this year.

1 hour ago, LegoFan117 said:

I can confirm this having had communications with their PR team - LEGO will not be in attendance at London Toy Fair this year.

Huh. Wonder why.

Do we have prices for these sets yet? I’m curious about how expensive the T. rex one will be- it sounds like an extremely simple and small build but Lego T. rexes usually only come in $70+ sets. 

So I saw an actual image of the Carnotaurus alongside a minifigure of Justice Smith's character and a build of clips that hold a bone and a blue syringe, grey drawers with antenna and that old print of a radar screen on a black 2×2 slope. The carno looks exactly the same as the sketch, colors and everything, and it looks better only because the legs dont look oversized as a result of being a sketch. I did wish it used different shades of dark red combined with the browns. I have a feeling its arms are being reused for the stygimoloch.

Justice Smith's character looks like a good civilian fig, with a torso print of a navy blue button up with a pocket on top of his navy blue and sand blue striped shirt. He's our first figure in flesh, as in Aladdin's skin tone, to wear glasses. He has a serious expression and uses tan legs and Finn's hairpiece.

I reckon we'll see more images soon since the one I saw was one of those HD ones with the white background.