Sign in to follow this  
Kodan Black

[SoNE Freebuild] Well of Souls

One of the benefits to being of a higher rank is that when I put in for time off, it generally gets rubber stamped. Things had been hectic lately and I wanted a few days to just clear my head and break from routine. For many, perhaps most, in the Empire that would mean either some resort planet or finding a bar. I understood the bar route, sometimes you just needed a break and drinks provided that. However, once the drinks are gone your problems and the things you were trying to forget are still there and you just have a lighter wallet to show for it.

I preferred to find secluded spots where there wasn't a lot of noise and crowds. When I listed where I was going the clerk seemed surprised. "There is nothing out that way." he offered. "Exactly." I smiled as I replied. He nodded and clearly understood -- at least as much as he could. Being part of such a large organization as the Empire you rarely are alone. Even time off felt like you were being watched as you had to keep your location known in case they needed to find you for some reason. I'd become accustomed to it by now, but there was a certain allure to being far enough away that they wouldn't easily pull you back. And if they did, it likely meant something large I'd rather be involved with early on instead of trying to do clean up later.

Nar Eurbrikka had a spot I had found that wasn't too far from a major city, so I wouldn't spend days getting to it. I took a shuttle down to the surface and then used a high speed transport stop to get me even closer to the Sha'emenor Well of Souls. It wasn't a hot tourist spot since it lacked the flash people are so used to. There were no holovids or interactive games. The walk from the transport stop was about a mile and I found that the noise level dropped off as I got closer. I'd brought a data pad just in case and had some light supplies. Always be prepared.

The Well of Souls was supposedly where the souls of the Sha'ek religion practitioners went after they passed away. It was a sort of temple that was considered a very sacred place and had the guardian statue out front of Amenkanor -- Protector of Souls. Supposedly he guided your soul to the temple where it was given eternal peace. The sacred tree at the back of the temple was supposed to date back hundreds of years. The grounds were immaculately maintained by the monks who lived nearby and were selected to have the honor of maintaining the temple.

Generally the monks kept to themselves, though they weren't forbidden from speaking. Given that I was here for the quiet I certainly didn't feel any need to strike up a conversation. The building itself was good sized and very sturdy. It was all laid by human hand, no droids as they were forbidden as part of the religion. The lack of a soul in a humanoid shape was seen as evil.

I spent time just appreciating the simplicity and thinking about my past and future. I wasn't one of those who thought the Empire could do no wrong and I'd recently interacted with enough Rebels to know they weren't the "bad guys". I knew plenty of good people in the Empire, guys who wanted order and structure. They liked that under the Empire there was water and power reliably available and hopefully an end to fighting. It wasn't an easy question of whether the peace and stability was worth giving up some rights and freedoms -- and for now I knew it was my job to enforce the laws. This place was being left alone on a planet that didn't see much fighting. I doubt they would elect to remove the Empire presence and invite in the unknown and potential for chaos.

Our operation with the Rebels proved we could unite to fight a foe like Xizor. There was a lot of distrust on both sides and we all knew it was a temporary accord. But maybe it could happen again and both sides could see the human instead of the Rebellion or the Empire. My upcoming promotion to the Imperial Department of Military Research would be interesting. Perhaps I could slowly move the needle to a less combative approach to Rebels. More likely though I'd find myself under suspicion by my comrades for my lack of zeal in the Empire group-think that seems to have gripped our highest commanders.

36650016206_5e34883331_c.jpg

36650016626_1513d36c72_c.jpg

Tree:
36300669720_4d6e3f2823_c.jpg

Statue:
36300666200_71db7bd1de_c.jpg

All the pictures:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/47762136@N04/shares/6a3ka7

Please Judge and all comments and critiques are welcome!

Edited by Kodan Black

Very nice! I always enjoy your story segments, and the temple is small, yet neat and detailled. Great stuff.

Cool structure - I like the grey sculpture on the roof and the way the roof curves.  Normally I try to use either curves or slopes, but I think the inverse slopes on your columns work really well with the roof.
I do feel like the front of the building doesn't quite fit with the rest of it.  I'd almost suggest cutting the front off, and just leaving the rear part with the columns:

Spoiler

35971153554_eef4ca2768.jpg

I'd also add a little elevation to the courtyard - having the DBG and blue 2x2 tiles raised up by a plate or two would add a bit more texture.

I like it overall, though!  It manages to look sci-fi without losing the feel of an old/classic structure, and your writing and story continue to be great.

On 8/21/2017 at 10:38 AM, Kodan Black said:

Perhaps I could slowly move the needle to a less combative approach to Rebels. 

Careful ... @BEAVeR once thought as you do.  No one has heard from him in quite some time ...

35970920384_e1e8c7902d_o.jpg

Interesting reaction, right where you drew the line is the difference between the original idea and the entryway I added in when it felt too simplistic. Should have stuck with my original idea I guess. Often I'm motivated by a shape or general notion of something and build from there. In this case that back area was my thought and then I tried to make a kind of elaborate entryway, almost like a crypt portico. I added some hanging lanterns and went with the religious structure notion.

I had thought about the elevation, but I tried to stick to a large flat landscape to try and convey a bigger sense of scale without having to build bigger. I used up most of my tiles in tan, and LBG/DBG.

i think the tree was maybe my 2nd or 3rd attempt to brick build flora. 

Thank you everyone for the comments and advice!