BrickbyBrickTechnic

[MOC] Forest Skidder: 42054 C model

Recommended Posts

4 big crushing tires!

When I saw the 42054, the first thing I thought was "FOREST SKIDDER!". When I got the set, I built a crop sprayer ;)

But now, a month later, I actually did build a forest skidder. And here it is!

The MOC features 6 functions, including 3 power functions: Crane stage 1, crane stage 2, and lifting of the front ripper blade. The manual functions are a pendular axle, HoG steering, and operating the grabber. 

The model suffered from awkward proportions throughout the build due to the complexity of the gearbox and placement of the Battery Box. The hood suffered from the brunt of it; it awkwardly hides the battery box and is too high.

Video here:

Pictures:

2017-08-20-21-04-142017-08-20-21-02-062017-08-20-21-00-312017-08-20-20-56-58

So That's all- next MOC of mine should be interesting ;)

Thank you!

BrickbyBrickTechnic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From this photos I see two things to ask (not to complain):

1. to me it seems like it would be nice to have photos with lights turned off, can you make them in some time?

2. on photos it looks to me that roof is one or two studs to low

Other, very good color distribution and color contrast; very good to see moc with correct width like models on scale models subforum :thumbup:

 

Edited by I_Igor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

1. to me it seems like it would be nice to have photos with lights turned off, can you make them in some time?

2. on photos it looks to me that roof is one or two studs to low

1. I can totally provide those pictures, in a bit:thumbup:

2. Or the hood is 1 or 2 studs high:wink:. It compares nicely with the inspiration, the Tigercat 610E, so I don't mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe one picture from the real machine to compare it with your build. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, M_longer said:

You have forgot to remove lights from front blade :P

I didn't see your comment before shooting. Will post some additional pics.

7 minutes ago, JDL1967 said:

Maybe one picture from the real machine to compare it with your build. :wink:

Here is my "inspiration" skidder, the Tigercat 610e:

610e-web1

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

1. I can totally provide those pictures, in a bit:thumbup:

2. Or the hood is 1 or 2 studs high:wink:. It compares nicely with the inspiration, the Tigercat 610E, so I don't mind.

Since your inspiration was Tigercat 610E, I see your point. That is the reason for question and not for critics because I didn't know which make/model influented you. So I can (now) say really good model :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great video! I would say, don't be afraid to refer to Tigercat 630E / 632E for your MOC, they are closer in proportions than the 610E.

http://www.tigercat.com/products/skidders/

On the other hand, I have some constructive criticism:

  • I think the light effects are good, but this time it is overused on your photos, it creates too much bling-bling effect (nice for rap videos though), especially with blurring - you don't need that.
  • The operation of the clutches is a bit strange - though I have no idea yet how to solve it in a C-model, and without destroying the overall good shape.
  • I still don't get why to start new topic for finished MOC, instead of renaming the WIP topic. In that case we could also see the whole history of the model, and enjoy the journey of the building anytime we come back here. Now you cut the story in half...
Edited by agrof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I didn't see your comment before shooting. Will post some additional pics.

Here is my "inspiration" skidder, the Tigercat 610e:

With that picture you can see that the dimensions are spot on..!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, agrof said:

The operation of the clutches is a bit strange - though I have no idea yet how to solve it in a C-model, and without destroying the overall good shape.

I honestly had no Idea on how to position the clutches better. The entire aesthetic would have been ruined.

3 hours ago, agrof said:

I think the light effects are good, but this time it is overused on your photos, it creates too much bling-bling effect (nice for rap videos though), especially with blurring - you don't need that.

Understood. Here are the pictures without any editing ( @I_Igor requested them too I believe).

IMG_3871IMG_3869IMG_3872IMG_3868

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, and now I discovered the fire extinguisher too - very nice touch, love it! :thumbup:

Will You publish this as well on Rebrickable?

(One of my Cinderella project is a skidder - a Tigercat, for many many years -, and now You kissed the princess... I put order on 4 wheels, and I have some pneumatics lying around... :classic:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like your skidder more than original tractor even though it has little bit strange proportions. I think you did good job with color scheme and number of functions. I would recommend to make few improvements like making grabber bigger, removing front blade (it has strange movement) and making levers for operating functions better accessible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tomik said:

I like your skidder more than original tractor even though it has little bit strange proportions. I think you did good job with color scheme and number of functions. I would recommend to make few improvements like making grabber bigger, removing front blade (it has strange movement) and making levers for operating functions better accessible.

Thank you! Yes, the proportions are a bit strange, because the hood is too high. The levers for the functions was a bit of a lost case unfortunately:grin:

The front blade is an accurate detail, though the function of lifting itself is strange.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did I miss this beaut.  That is amazing, the looks are great, the functions work well, you really did a fantastic job on this C-model.  

Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, aminnich said:

How did I miss this beaut.  That is amazing, the looks are great, the functions work well, you really did a fantastic job on this C-model.  

Congrats!

Thank you so much!

Also, a general announcement: Instructions in about 48hrs. 800+ pictures. I will post link here.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping that this time Word would not crash when exporting to pdf :wink:

Just one suggestion; if you have 42030 you can make C model of that set with CLAAS tires to fit Tigercat colors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, I_Igor said:

Just one suggestion; if you have 42030 you can make C model of that set with CLAAS tires to fit Tigercat colors

Great suggestion, but I do not have 42030, nor man yellow pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Great suggestion, but I do not have 42030, nor man yellow pieces.

Sorry :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.