t-brick

[MOC] Guggenheim Museum Bilbao

This is probably the most complex model I've designed (and built) up to now. The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao is one of the most spectacular buildings of the recent decades. Its style of deconstructivism and seemingly random but also very organic curves make for a magnificent view. It was a real challenge to build this in LEGO. :classic:

guggenheim_t-brick_001.jpg

I decided to use white bricks for the titanium surface - metallic parts are too rare in LEGO and grey seems too dull for the highly reflective surfaces.

guggenheim_t-brick_005.jpg

The building is surrounded by water and some large works of art, most noticeable the tulips (represented by violet cherries in the model) and the puppy by Jeff Koons. 

guggenheim_t-brick_008.jpg

More pictures can be found here if you are interested: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=571042

Very cool! I agree that its perhaps one of the most complex buildings you can tackle with this scale. And you caught its appearance very well, which is an impressive achievement. A pity all the sloped don't come in pearl grey yet :wink: but the white works fine as well.

Just beautiful all these curves and angles. :classic:

I really like this model very much. In this scale you captured all the curves brilliantly and the color choice is great. I doubt that the model would gain anything if the white would be substituted with silver or pearl grey. I am happy that you omitted the bridge crossing the building. All in all a very impressive and beautiful build.

Great work!  This is an intensely difficult building to wrap ones head around, and even harder to figure out how to re-create it's abstract deconstructivist forms within the limitations of the LEGO parts library.  This is the best re-creation of Gehry's work that I've seen yet, well done!

P.S. I added it to my collection of amazing high-tech architecture re-created in LEGO here: https://www.pinterest.com/tomalphin/lego-architecture-high-tech/

Thanks,

---tom

Hello

I´m a TFOL from Bilbao, I really LOVE your MOC, the chhllenge was great. Onlu compara ble to SIdney´s Opera.

About the color, I would try LBG.

¿have you thougth about Lego Ideas?