Bricksmith

[MOC] Various 6-Wide British Locomotive designs (Mallard, Tornado... Flying Sausage...)

Hi all, 

I recently went on a bit of a designing spree during my holidays and thought I'd share the results. I've been developing these models at a slightly smaller scale than usual (Hence 6-wide), but it's been a fun challenge and one I would like to develop into more actual models if I have the time.

I thought i'd share them all at once as I didn't want to clog the forum xD

MALLARD (LNER A4 Class)

36415691982_82f6d95fc5_o.png

The first design I did of this scale and the only model I have physically made. You'll notice that the boiler is different from the render as those arch blue pieces are horrendously expensive.

36610455196_4da20085a2_o.png

If you are interested I go into more detail about it in this MOC video on my Youtube channel.

FLYING SCOTSMAN (LNER A3 Class)

36406857001_e7b01fb34e_o.png

Classic design to follow on from. The wheelbase is copied from my Mallard build, which forms the base for all my pacific class designs.

TORNADO (BR Peppercorn A1 Class)

35765751463_a6f804a799_o.png

Developed this by tweaking the Flying Scotsman build. I know of better ways to do the smoke deflectors, but unfortunately the parts weren't available on LDraw.

GWR HALL CLASS

35774827143_949da49f7f_h.jpg

I developed this for a friend's Hogwarts Express build, but also as a bit of fun. With a couple of tweaks this could always pass for a King or a Castle.

LMS ROYAL SCOT CLASS

36218131550_0370a07561_h.jpg

I think the front of this engine could be different if the parts were available, and I wasn't able to do the wheel arches, but I'm happy with the tender and the shaping of the cab.

SR KING ARTHUR CLASS

36558871636_ab82a44681_h.jpg

I thought i'd try and to an engine from each of the major British steam companies. The obvious one for Southern was a Merchant Navy or West Country, but I've already done a lot of Pacific engines. 

BR STANDARD 4MT TANK

36415692102_f3a75cb775_h.jpg

The one major drawback is that it isn't motorised. I've been considering making a motorised carriage that would not only move un-motorised engines, but help the bigger motorised ones around the corners better. That, of course, comes with its own set of drawbacks.

THE FLYING SAUSAGE (LNER 10000 - 'HUSH HUSH')

36273039410_8b4e13c982_h.jpg

I wasn't lying in the title, this is such a wonderfully absurd engine that I had to try it. my only major niggle is the colour scheme, but I suppose experimental engines are hardly worth sprucing up.

I hope you've found these MOCs interesting, I'd love to hear any tips, comments or suggestions for future builds! I'm planning on building the Flying Scotsman before long, then maybe a set of coaches.

-Isaac

Some lovely renditions of locomotives I have never seen modeled in LEGO before, especially not in 6W; well done. I too dislike the fact that the LNER pacifics' tenders should have 4 axles, but I can see compromising to 3 allows the train motor to be put in. What do the rest of them look like with minifigs, or coaches? Maybe a nice Pullman set for the bigger engines to haul is your next task! Perhaps even a dynamometer car (the carriage that measures speed, drawbar force, etc); it would fit well with at least two of your models (Mallard and 10000).

Nice work! It's rare to see engines done at a smaller scale so accurately.

7 hours ago, Bricksmith said:

36415691982_82f6d95fc5_o.png

The first design I did of this scale and the only model I have physically made. You'll notice that the boiler is different from the render as those arch blue pieces are horrendously expensive.

36610455196_4da20085a2_o.png

Honestly, I prefer the revised boiler -- it more convincingly conveys the shape of the prototype.

Wow, these are all beautifully done, simple and clean! :thumbup:

Of these eight locomotives, the Mallard, the Tornado, the SR King Arthur Class, and the "Flying Sausage" are probably my favorites! :sweet:

Just realized after watching the video -- you've still got the traction tires on the wheels of the Mallard! Remove those, and its performance in curves should improve.

On 8/20/2017 at 10:07 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Wow, these are all beautifully done, simple and clean! :thumbup:

Of these eight locomotives, the Mallard, the Tornado, the SR King Arthur Class, and the "Flying Sausage" are probably my favorites! :sweet:

Thanks! I think i'll have to have a go at making the Flying Sausage at some point. Though Scotsman is next on my list :)

On 8/20/2017 at 10:22 PM, jtlan said:

Just realized after watching the video -- you've still got the traction tires on the wheels of the Mallard! Remove those, and its performance in curves should improve.

I just tried it and it seems that the engine is too light and there isn't enough friction- the driving wheels don't move at all! They just skid along the track. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Edited by Bricksmith

28 minutes ago, Bricksmith said:

I just tried it and it seems that the engine is too light and there isn't enough friction- the driving wheels don't move at all! They just skid along the track. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Maybe try and have the traction tires on one side of the loco? either left or right.

6 hours ago, Bricksmith said:

Possibly the geometry is off -- are the leading and trailing trucks free to rise and fall a short distance?

Failing that, did you quarter the drivers correctly?

10 hours ago, jtlan said:

Possibly the geometry is off -- are the leading and trailing trucks free to rise and fall a short distance?

Failing that, did you quarter the drivers correctly?

They are, yes. And I actually glued the connecting rod components in place while fixed to a long technic brick to make sure the spacing was correct.

There is a chance it might be to do with the nature of the connecting rods and their friction with the wheels. I've tried it without and it seems fine so i doubt it's the valences.

Nice. The design of the mallard looks really great. Great job with a very nice clean look in 6-wide. I really like that you managed to cover the big wheels a little bit. 

And the shapes of the "Flying Sausage" look good as well.

On 8/23/2017 at 1:26 PM, Man with a hat said:

Nice. The design of the mallard looks really great. Great job with a very nice clean look in 6-wide. I really like that you managed to cover the big wheels a little bit. 

And the shapes of the "Flying Sausage" look good as well.

Thanks! The downside with 6-wide is sometimes a loss of detail, so I tried to compensate by getting the shapes as accurate as possible.

(Side note- I managed to get the mallard to run smoothly by making a few small tweaks to the connecting rod :) )

Hi brick smith, I really like your mallard MOC. I am new to this hobby and would really like to build an a4 of my own. I was wondering if you could I’ve me some advice on where to buy the pieces required and what I need , maybe even some instructions in pdf format. If you could help I would so grateful. Regards. Paulandaiden.