quilkin

Two modulars better than one?

I'm sure this has been done many times before, and would be interested to see how others have approached it. Rather than just build a modular according to the instructions, I decided to split one in half (the Parisian Restaurant in this case) and make two 'façade-only' buildings using the same set of parts. It was quite a challenge to use only the parts in the original set*, although I haven't changed the design very much. Here's the finished model ; the right-hand side is pretty much built as per instructions.

paris1.jpg

and this is the 'inside' view (I find it better to see the insides of buildings like this, rather than having to remove layers):paris2.jpg

and here's the parts left over from the original set: parisparts.jpg

*I have to make an exception to the 'original parts only' , of course: I used two 32x16 baseplates rather than one 32x32. And I used extra technic bricks to make the extra 'joiners'.

Interesting idea and you made a great attempt but imo it just looks odd and unfinished. Glad you were brave enough to try it and if it's what you like you should keep it that way! I really like the appearance of the modulars as they are. Sometimes I'll add interior details but nothing so daring as what you have done.  Thanks for sharing pictures.

You've really come up with something interesting here! The obvious thing to say here is get some more brick to finish it up flush on the back at least. You got some good depth started on the left side, but I would suggest pushing it further by rebuilding the wall you have the leaves on back behind the front of the restaurant wall, and keep the roof seating part where it is.

Looks okay, the only thing that looks off is the bland section with 4 brown windows.

On 8/19/2017 at 7:26 AM, fordtruckin said:

Interesting idea and you made a great attempt but imo it just looks odd and unfinished.

That's what I think about most official lego sets lol

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with most of the suggested improvements, but was limited by my decision to make it more of a challenge by only using the bricks in the original set.