14 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Can you give me a link? I can't find it,

Seconded. 

Edit: Got it. I'm seeing a strong resemblance to General Magmar's Siege Machine, which is good.

Edited by BrickJagger

The war rig seems to come with 7 minifigures. 3 ninja/hero’s and 4 villains including the main bad guy. This reminds me a little of the possessions wave. A big vechicle for the main baddie and the main object being hunted this wave 

Yep, this war rig is Mad Max all the way. Not a hint of Steampunk nor Dieselpunk influence anywhere in at least this set like some have suggested earlier.

16 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Yep, this war rig is Mad Max all the way. Not a hint of Steampunk nor Dieselpunk influence anywhere in at least this set like some have suggested earlier.

Mad Max is dieselpunk tho...

4 minutes ago, Dardanel said:

Mad Max is dieselpunk tho...

Vaguely, but not really. Dieselpunk is more of a alternate historical genre, focused more specifically on retro futuristic reimaginings of 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's. Mad Max is more of a Post Apocalyptic projection of the future from the time the first film was made, back in late 70's/early 80's.

Here's a pretty good definition of the genre from this article.

How Stuff Works - How Dieselpunk Works

Dieselpunk is similar to another movement called steampunk. But while steampunk draws its aesthetics from the Victorian era of the late 19th century, dieselpunk traces its roots to the early 20th century. In general, dieselpunk draws inspiration from the 1920s to the 1950s. Everything from that era's architecture, art style, music preferences and pop culture shapes dieselpunk. Influences come primarily from the United States and Europe, though you might find some Japanese culture as well. Artists like Georges Barbier and pulp fiction writers like Raymond Chandler are the jumping-off point, much like H.G. Wells and Jules Verne serve as steampunk's foundation.

Do read the rest of the five page article too, as it is most informative. :classic:

29 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Vaguely, but not really. Dieselpunk is more of a alternate historical genre, focused more specifically on retro futuristic reimaginings of 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's. Mad Max is more of a Post Apocalyptic projection of the future from the time the first film was made, back in late 70's/early 80's.

Here's a pretty good definition of the genre from this article.

How Stuff Works - How Dieselpunk Works

Do read the rest of the five page article too, as it is most informative. :classic:

I agree that it draws inspiration from the era, but it is not necessarily based in that era. There are many examples of Steampunk/Dieselpunk that is set in the distant past/future. Also, Mad Max is one of the examples cited in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieselpunk

Largest set leaked today. We clearly get a dragon armored someone in the set, along with Cole and Zane. The dragons from the calander is also in iT. Seems to have 9 figures in total 

45 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Largest set leaked today. We clearly get a dragon armored someone in the set, along with Cole and Zane. The dragons from the calander is also in iT. Seems to have 9 figures in total 

That's what I was talking about in my previous post. Is there a picture?

There is a picture out there. Check instagram

edit: also out of the original 4 dragons we are only missing Zane’s from this wave. My guess is it in an exclusive set

Edited by Falconfan1414

Looks like the guy in the top hat is in the war rig.. and the new mask, new weapon(s)? Since he's there I assume his armor/knife is too.

Is he the leader?

Edited by Boogly22238

53 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

edit: also out of the original 4 dragons we are only missing Zane’s from this wave. My guess is it in an exclusive set

Hopefully, I hope we get a water dragon eventually as well.

8 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

also out of the original 4 dragons we are only missing Zane’s from this wave. My guess is it in an exclusive set

You know, I think you might be right about that. I can't help but notice the product numbers; after 70655 Dragon's Den, it goes straight to 70657 Ninjago City Docks. What happened to 70656?

On 1/10/2018 at 9:22 AM, Dardanel said:

I agree that it draws inspiration from the era, but it is not necessarily based in that era. There are many examples of Steampunk/Dieselpunk that is set in the distant past/future. Also, Mad Max is one of the examples cited in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieselpunk

In a broad definition, yes, I suppose Mad Max and other select Post-Apocalyptic genres can be considered classifiable as Dieselpunk. For those that aren't OCD about retrofuturistic genre classification (like me, I confess), I think that they should only differentiate between Steampunk (pre-1900 futurism), Dieselpunk (WWI to 1970's futurism, broadly speaking), and Cyberpunk (1980's-1990's futurism).

If you were though to be specific, there is wide spectrum of many retrofuturistic genres that are all derivatives of Cyberpunk, as outlined in this Wikipedia article:

Wikipedia - Cyberpunk Derivatives

22 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

In a broad definition, yes, I suppose Mad Max and other select Post-Apocalyptic genres can be considered classifiable as Dieselpunk. For those that aren't OCD about retrofuturistic genre classification (like me, I confess), I think that they should only differentiate between Steampunk (pre-1900 futurism), Dieselpunk (WWI to 1970's futurism, broadly speaking), and Cyberpunk (1980's-1990's futurism).

If you were though to be specific, there is wide spectrum of many retrofuturistic genres that are all derivatives of Cyberpunk, as outlined in this Wikipedia article:

Wikipedia - Cyberpunk Derivatives

You missed Zeerust (Odd considering your avatar choice :wink:) Dieselpunk cuts of at the 60s, from the 60s to the 80s the future was going to be The Jetsons and things of that aesthetic. I can talk for hours on societal influences on visions of the future and modern adoption of historic appearance fused with futuristic technology. But not here, as this is the Ninjago discussion thread for 2018 sets.

7 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

You missed Zeerust

Zeerust? Wow, I've never heard of that expression before, but I just looked the word up and came across this informative article.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, now I have yet another word for my retrofuturistic vernacular to annoy people with. :laugh:

14 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

I can talk for hours on societal influences on visions of the future and modern adoption of historic appearance fused with futuristic technology. But not here, as this is the Ninjago discussion thread for 2018 sets.

Perhaps we could start a topic on the subject for discussion. :classic:

On 1/11/2018 at 8:47 AM, Falconfan1414 said:

If there is a picture out there on Instagram give us the name of the username. Literally, no one can find it.