On 2017-08-11 at 0:04 PM, Jim said:

Exactly. That's what I've been told.

"No more sets for this year, but we are not done with the 40 year anniversary."

This can be interpreted in multiple ways, but the way I am reading it, is that there will be a set coming next year. DISCLAIMER: That's my interpretation, nothing official.

I think you might be right Jim. They clearly have something very special planned for the next year. I found this on the Swedish AFOL forum:

LEGO Technic is looking for its voice!

LEGO Technic has plans for a new super Ultimate project in 2018 and it is now on the lookout for a fan to collaborate on developing the communication on this project.

Tell me more about the collaboration

For next year, LEGO Technic is preparing to launch a series of podcasts around this very special project. Therefore, we are now on the lookout for someone who can become the voice of the podcast.

What does the “Voice of LEGO Technic podcast” entail?

-    Be the presenter/ voice of the LEGO Technic podcast.
In collaboration with the CMA LEGO Technic team and based on the outline of podcast, conduct the research of the individual subjects discussed in each episode.
 In collaboration with the CMA LEGO Technic team, develop the questions that will be part of the structured interview.
Lead the interview with the different stakeholders defined in the podcast outline.

Who are you?
The fan that will become the voice of the LEGO Technic Podcast should:
Work/ Have a background as a journalist or have strong storytelling skills
Prior experience working within radio or podcast
Native or fluent command of English
In depth knowledge of car industry/ interest to dive deep into this subject
Natural, relaxed, professional voice
Ability to speak clearly
Preferably located in western Europe

Think you are the right fit?
Perfect, we would like love to hear from you. Here is what we would like you to do:
Send a short sound recording (30 sec – 1 min) on a topic of your choice
A short summary of experience relevant to this project

More practical info:

This collaboration will be a freelance based collaboration. The project will start shortly after the deadline and will continue until mid-next year. The amount of time required for this project to will vary, according to the stage of the collaboration.

Deadline for submission of applications: 25.08.2017.
When sending your application, please write “LEGO Technic is looking for its voice!” in the subject line.

For more info, please contact: Andreea Barin at barin.andreea@lego.com.

The things that jump out in the quote of @HallBricks are:

- LEGO Technic ... super Ultimate project in 2018

- In depth knowledge of car industry ...

- ... research of the individual subjects

- The project will ... continue until mid-next year

Very interesting indeed, I put my money on a modular car project where each functional module (suspension, steering, gearing, engine, etc) is the subject of an educational session explaining how it works and how to build it.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

Interesting!

I have split it into a separate topic, so we can speculate :laugh:

" In depth knowledge of car industry/ interest to dive deep into this subject "

5 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

It's about a car!

f0cd35e86a1b6bd2da7e53c7cdd7caaf

:laugh:

This is great!! But after last year of more than excellent 1:8 scale MOCs, and the AFOL reception of 42056, LEGO has got their work cut out for them. Better be something really good to live up to the expectations that will grow with the speculations...

Could this be the rally car that has been mentioned earlier?

So they are looking for "a voice" to collaborate with for some Uber project to be released sometime in 2018?  Do they know that we are heading into the latter part of 2017? Given that 42056 (which by most accounts was a bust) took four years of planning, collaborating, etc. something seems amiss here.......

If there's a product planned for 2018, you can assume its design/production is already long underway. The product won't change much. What this Voice person will be helping with is communicaton. So I think he or she is more of a sales person than a designer. Basically, they're looking for a good talker with some in-depth knowledge so they can ask the right questions to the people TLC wants to speak.

21 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

So they are looking for "a voice" to collaborate with for some Uber project to be released sometime in 2018?  Do they know that we are heading into the latter part of 2017? Given that 42056 (which by most accounts was a bust) took four years of planning, collaborating, etc. something seems amiss here.......

Maybe 42056 could be a precursor to something bigger? *huh*

cheered me up massively to hear that its a car (or at least a chassis) that's coming.

I tick a few of those boxes :) ... where I'm from and what I do as a job :)

But not a Journo

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

If there's a product planned for 2018, you can assume its design/production is already long underway. The product won't change much. What this Voice person will be helping with is communicaton. So I think he or she is more of a sales person than a designer. Basically, they're looking for a good talker with some in-depth knowledge so they can ask the right questions to the people TLC wants to speak.

True! This is just a marketing gimmick. The car is probably long done. That coincides with the grins the designers had about upcoming projects :sweet:

First filter: the candidate will be thrown into infuriated crowd to explain 4 reverse gears, and shifting sequence 1-3-2-4. Survived = passed. :wink:

Bit serious: I think this is a nice move, LEGO Top Gear on the way? :tongue:

17 hours ago, HallBricks said:

super Ultimate

This car is *only* 'super Ultimate', I was hoping for something more 'super duper Ultimate'. :laugh:

36 minutes ago, agrof said:

Bit serious: I think this is a nice move, LEGO Top Gear on the way? :tongue:

This. So the best candidate should be Chris Harris :grin:

my thought about that is more tricky....

It seems to me that TLC didn't appreciate the fan reaction about the Porsche project, witch is a great project btw.

The main issue they get was that the technical choice they made due to quality and specific internal rules where not correctly understood by the community and I assume this has a severe influence on the set's sale. I think that the massive speculation and expectation place it at a much to high level to be reach in the TLC standards.

I suppose this communication operation is made to explain all the choices they had to do before the project is on the public place in order to avoid bad surprise once officially released.

I wouldn't be surprise if the present project was a little under all expectations and hope we can place in it...

I'm actually thinking about applying.  Never done any voice work though.  I'd be much more comfortable with written communication.

10 minutes ago, steph77 said:

It seems to me that TLC didn't appreciate the fan reaction about the Porsche project, witch is a great project btw.

The main issue they get was that the technical choice they made due to quality and specific internal rules where not correctly understood by the community and I assume this has a severe influence on the set's sale. I think that the massive speculation and expectation place it at a much to high level to be reach in the TLC standards.

I suppose this communication operation is made to explain all the choices they had to do before the project is on the public place in order to avoid bad surprise once officially released.

That is one direction, but every coin has two sides. Maybe TLG didn't understand what the market means under "Ultimate", and what should be offered if You label the product with this word. Also don't forget, that they communicated very poorly with cheap excuses after the claims appeared through the whole internet.

Whatever which is the case, I see also a corrective action by this event, which is welcoming - so such inconvenient situation will not happen again... I hope this is the drive.

Go for it Blakbird

I'd love to but also I'd be worried about a "conflict of interest" if it's modelled on a specific car, especially if it's part of the group I work for.

I Think Paul Crowkiller Boratko should do this. Large Car Mocs are his special theme so he would be the perfect guy for this.