Finally! This is the Mail Box!

36559714365_0e1bce3d18_c.jpg

I took quite some time off from my last creation, and now I finally realized what was in my hand for quite some months. This yellow building is my latest modern architecture creation, and clearly, it is the place where you post your letters and get other mailing services, the post office!

36559714475_7ff0439f26_c.jpg

Many people would use up most of the inches for a corner building design, but I want to reclaim the space for the people. How about a negative building? I decided to remove the walls along the pavement, and create a nice, welcoming semi-outdoor space. Then the building will start to "climb" onto the remaining walls, as if they are inserted into the planes.

36559714135_37e42f744a_c.jpg

I used grey for the horizontal box indicating that this is the public area. You can do your mailing at the counter or get help. You can also buy postcards and other mail products. The above is the black box, which is the office, the staff-only place.

36559713885_73e4b69056_c.jpg

36559713615_fcfc56c0a3_c.jpg

You can post your letters outside. Note the local and air mailboxes! The blue one is stamp vending machine. Buy, stick and post!

36559713435_719300444c_c.jpg

On the other side of the yellow wall is the loading bay, and you can see things are just scattered around, with parcels pending delivery...the other side is the lift shaft, with a workable lift!

36559713125_d9aae98ea4_c.jpg

The mail car parks here, and ready to be loaded and go!

36559712945_bc0929fa41_c.jpg

The first floor is the office where the postmen sort the letters. Looks like they need to have OT today...

36559712745_69e17810cf_c.jpg

The second floor is where the manager sits. You can also find special delivery section here. They are brainstorming about how to deliver these silver bricks. Who is that artist? He is the designer for the post products, like the first-day-of-issue! The computer? For the drones!

36559712615_fe5c01750c_c.jpg

36559712425_5686b0096b_c.jpg

Yes, the drones! With these little robots, speed delivery will be really...speedy. No need to wait for any man or car to send your urgent letters!

36559712235_12b952bd6f_c.jpg

Hope you enjoy this! Now start posting!

That is really cool - I love the modern "inside out design" and all the little details are spot on!! (The drones are a nice touch!!) 

Excellent work!!

I'm curious, did you immediately know when you sketched out this building that it was a great idea? :tongue:

Just from looking at the sketch it's clear that there are lots of spaces to incorporate all the things you added, and they mesh well.

I think it would have taken me a few dozen drafts before I got something that vaguely resembled a good looking building like this

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

8 hours ago, Brickviller V2 said:

Whoa, I really like the modern architecture here! The small details and puns are cool too and well thought out :thumbup:. How long did it take to design it?

It took me actually a month to sketch and design, while the building work took around a week...pretty fast actually when most of the bricks are ready, haha...

1 hour ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

I'm curious, did you immediately know when you sketched out this building that it was a great idea? :tongue:

Just from looking at the sketch it's clear that there are lots of spaces to incorporate all the things you added, and they mesh well.

I think it would have taken me a few dozen drafts before I got something that vaguely resembled a good looking building like this

Thanks Henchmen! Actually, you are right, I didn't just sketch and jump to this design. I actually did 5-6 sketches to reach this final design, before using the bricks to test the idea out. :) I only showed the final sketch right before the actual construction work. Good guess!

Thanks everyone!

WOW!!!, Love this

- these colors work great

Modern, is not my cup of thee, but i really like this

Great Great work!

Greetings

Excellent architecture and design! I love the idea to create the open, inside-out space.
I would be interested to see more of the post-handling, such as the lift you mentioned, as I have recently created my own (much more boring) post depot and would like to compare designs.

Edited by ColletArrow

Hi, thanks for the comments! Sorry for being late to reply, and here is a shot of my lift shaft:

mailbox-01.jpg

You can see the lift will be held by the walls (when all the floors are inserted back) and so it won't fall out, and nothing sticks out so that the building can still be attached to the other one side by side without problem.

The lift is not a square but in a slight L-shape, and that is why it will be "pushed" into the black wall part (you can imagine by looking at the bottom of the shaft). Hope that helps!

Thanks everyone! I guess it is easy to reach this kind of appearance with LEGO bricks, showing smooth and clean lines and surfaces. The hard part is how to arrange the spaces within such clean language and look. Let me take a good picture of it next to the other buildings!