Henchmen4Hire

What makes a great Space-themed bar?

I've had this idea kicking around but haven't had the inspiration to brick it out. I want to make a sketchy space-themed bar so I can display all my sci-fi figs (and possibly park all my spaceships in back lol).

What features do you think make for a great place for the scum of the universe to hang out?

I made an attempt a long time ago but it ended up looking too clean, like a diner or a buffet restaurant ( http://imgur.com/vmRkEEo )

The jist of the scene is there's a ramshackle space bar built on a large asteroid (just a patch of dirt, for simplicity's sake) where everyone likes to party. It's large enough to hold a bunch of people, but small enough to feel somewhat intimate, like a home away from home.

Something I want to keep from that idea is the floor that looks like random bits of armor plating. There are lots of grates for drainage because people get into bloody fights so much that the owner cleans it by hosing it off.

I want to add a little stage for a music band, the typical wall full of bottles, counter, 2 or 3 small sit-down booths, etc. I'll probably keep the payphone seen in the corner too.

Something I definitely want to use is the sign I made:

iwQr16w.png

I haven't even decided what to make the walls with. Should they be concrete? Shipping containers? Made out of bug shells? I want the place to look weathered, but also like it's regularly taken care of.

Any suggestions and references are welcome.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

Quick tinkering to create some kegs. I would lay them on their side as shown, though I have no idea how I'm going to keep them from rolling. Maybe they'll butt up against a wall so I can peg them to the wall.

Nothing groundbreaking here, just procrastinating because the thought of designing the entire bar is terrifying me

q4RI7YV.jpg

Nice idea; a shaddy bar on some forsaken astroid rock. I imagine it be dark and grim, with booths where you can hire mercenaries or do some other deal or two.
Lots of various illuminated bottles, junk, pieces of hardware all over the place & some extraordinary (holographic) exotic entertainment dancers... And ofcourse the bartenders, waitress(es) & scumbag visitors themselves.

And don't forget a fitting name for the place...:wink: I like that topleft draft system and the black keg, looks nice btw!

Too bad I just see your thread right now. A space bar is a really exciting project to do. As for inspiration, I would definitely check out the Lego ideas fishing store that comes out soon. That looks nicely ramshackle and stacked full with stuff.

The kegs are a good start. Maybe make several drinking or serving-devices for the many nonhuman species it will attract. Perhaps also a separated section they can hire to hang out without breathing equipment.

I would also definitely put in some space themed props and souvenirs into. Classic space pieces like helmets and printed bricks - up to more recent stuff. Maybe a piece of a jedi star fighter wing as an easter egg suspended at a wall or an R2 waiter... Stuff like that. I hope you find my ideas useful. Can't wait to see what you come up with! :classic:

@-zenn  Yeh, I tried to recreate some beer cans off the top of my head, black is Guinness, there's Coors Banquet and Coors Light (blue quarter tile is the mountains), Bud, etc. Want to make some kegs that look more radioactive or something.

@Littleworlds There's a bar I saw that has ropes covering the ceiling, I'll maybe do that but with chains, and possibly hang a piece of Space Police wreckage from them (I'm not into Star Wars but I like Star Wars Rebels enough to work in a ref to them somehow). Or maybe a bunch of engines. I dunno lol. Will prob use helmets and stuff as decoration.

I think making the decorations first will let me figure out what shape to make the floorplan. Need a jukebox, lights, a few booths, etc.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

46 minutes ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

@-zenn  Yeh, I tried to recreate some beer cans off the top of my head, black is Guinness, there's Coors Banquet and Coors Light (blue quarter tile is the mountains), Bud, etc. Want to make some kegs that look more radioactive or something.

@Littleworlds There's a bar I saw that has ropes covering the ceiling, I'll maybe do that but with chains, and possibly hang a piece of Space Police wreckage from them (I'm not into Star Wars but I like Star Wars Rebels enough to work in a ref to them somehow). Or maybe a bunch of engines. I dunno lol. Will prob use helmets and stuff as decoration.

I think making the decorations first will let me figure out what shape to make the floorplan. Need a jukebox, lights, a few booths, etc.

That sounds really good. I like the idea of engine parts and helmets. Such props do a lot of atmosphere. You can also give the jukebox a mix of familiar looks and alien-components. Well, that actually applies to most of the bar really :wink:

This looks okay, it's 4-wide without the wedges so I'll prob get rid of those. Suggestions welcome

•The trans round tiles are like "laser holo discs" or whatever lol

•Blue technic pin represents a selection light

36676474215_155f1cc2ac_z.jpg

Space Bar Jukebox by Henchmen4Hire, on Flickr

Edited by Henchmen4Hire