Wolf_Zipp

[MOC]: Bridge Girder SLJ 500-18 , Special Carrier , Gantry Crane

Hello, I present my MOC ,

a functional model of the chinese giant machine SLJ 900-32.

Original: length 91,8 m, width 7,4 m, 9 m high, tara weight 580 metric tons Bridge weight 900 tons

25494863724_7f8855ae4b_z.jpg20130619084644_6093 by Wolf Zipp, auf Flickr

The idea to build this with LEGO Comes from Gerd_59 in the german Forum DoktorBrick.

I build it with aprox. scale 1:25 , but with the half number of wheels, because fullsize would it 3,6 m long.

It is a full function model, not optical scaled.

13 Motors and pneumatic with 3 functions are on bord.

Self made cabel control box with switches incl. pneumatic Switches.

The Bridge box is no Lego , it has 2,56 kg weight., 60 cm x 36 cm x 8 cm

The model is 2 m long, 30 cm width and high, 10,5 kg weight. 

The Video at Youtube will maybe seen from many members.

35720713255_2d2a5117e6_c.jpgFunktionsbild by Wolf Zipp, auf Flickr

Edited by Wolf_Zipp

Hi, welcome to Eurobricks! This is one huge MOC, it looks pretty impressive. Could you please link the video? I have a feeling that pictures alone don't do it justice. 

Hello,

This is not the final Video, on the sliding Support leg is over 8 kg weight, by sliding bent the leg and get more friction. This is the ground i hold the leg vertical. I have fixed the Problem meanwhile.

here is the link:

This post reminds me of this one:

i.e.... new member comes in and just drops something incredible.  Love this build in that it is different, huge, not caring of aesthetics,...... just pure and unadulterated engineering.  Well done.  Looks like there are still some more kinks to work out, some of the function needed assistance, but overall--- so well done. Thank you for sharing.  I hope there are more videos and information to come......

I never thought I would see one of these built in LEGO, let alone fully functional technic... what a way to make your entrance! Well done!

Hello,

Thanks for welcome and liked commends!

I build an incredible MOC, but maybe it will be a one-hit-wonder , I´m not like efferman or sariel and others.

Xewyz2001 invite me to present my MOC here.

I build it not behind closed doors , it is public since the first ideas and the first pair of wheels

here:

http://www.doctor-brick.de/threads/techniker-aufgepasst-wer-nimmt-die-herausforderung-an.4969/

My first reaction was´> ít is not possible with LEGO < but the huge machine rotated in my head ... I begin to build the wheel-pair that turns around and is driving.

The Facts:

18 pair wheels 62,4 x 20 with starr axle. Separation was not able.

All wheels driven with 1 XL Motor for every Group ( 1 for 10 pair, 1 for 8 pair wheels )

All wheels turns with 1 L Motor / Group ( same )

Primare Support leg ( sliding leg )

Folding 1 L Motor with 2 LA  in the leg

Lifting 1 L Motor with 2 LA  in the leg

Sliding 1 M Motor with rope  in the main beam

Freerun 1 Servo ( same )

Secundar Support leg

Folding 1 M Motor in the main beam

Lifting 1 L Motor with toothbar  in the main beam

Winch 1 M Motor with 1 winch , 1 rope splitted to 8 ropes , to 4 hooks

Pneumatic 1 L Motor with 4 minipumps in 4 tact 90 ° different ( Modded from TechnicRobot.com )

Fake V 8 in 4 tact 90 ° different ( idea from Dave42 )

Pressure valve

4 big cylinder at ever wheel group

2 small cylinder for hook lock

not necessary : Parking stamp 1 L Motor with 2 LA ... this is result of a discussion , I let it inside because of the weight , for driving

Control box

9V power in , Switches for every Motor, 3 pneumatic Switches LEGO

3 AC Controller for drive and winch

Woodbox with selfmade display

Bridge

Styrodur with cement

Edited by Wolf_Zipp
new Doctor Brick Forum

Hello,

here is a picture of the backside with the controlbox :

35004354870_5e4fbb76e1_c.jpgIMG_20170616_214519 by Wolf Zipp, auf Flickr

upper side with lock mechanic and hooks :

34732329430_86558eb741_c.jpgIMG_20170605_194046 by Wolf Zipp, auf Flickr

Winch

34732321470_fbea4f4457_c.jpgIMG_20170605_194024 by Wolf Zipp, auf Flickr

The metal hooks are to strech the main beam to reduce the bent.

Without streching the bent is over 25 mm / 1 Inch; streched it is reduced under the half. It is necessary because of the hight of Lifting from the Support legs.

Edited by Wolf_Zipp

Incredible creation *huh*, I have never come across this monster before, so that was interesting, but to make it out of LEGO is amazing.

I am surprised it still bends so much, even with 5 5x11 plates stacked on top of each other. Prestressing it with a cable is a smart solution. Did you try other (pure LEGO) solutions as well?

When the whole structure moves forward to put the bridgeelement in it's place you have to hold the sliding leg to prevent it to topple over. I assume that is needed because you drive the model with the wheels in the back and because of the friction the sliding leg is moving with the beam instead of sliding. It does have it's own motor though. Is that running at the same time to move the leg back against the beam? Or would it even be possible to use only that motor and let the wheels run freely?

Hello Jeroen,

thanks for liking my MOC.

1.)  The Mainbeam is build with 3 plates on top each other with beams between, but the force between the sectors is only in 4 beams , 2 on top, 2 on bottom, with 2 Pins every side.

The Pins bend under the force, in summary is it much.

My purpose with these model was the full function, not only the 100 % LEGO solution.

2.) You see it right, there is much friction in the sliding leg. I use both Motors together by the sliding, but the rope for the leg slips thru.

26983806201_4fddb43fb1_c.jpgFoto-0122 by Wolf Zipp, auf Flickr

The rope goes 1 time over the lbg connector. Version in the Video.

The wheeldrive is with wormgears at every wheelpair, it will not go an freerun.

27577733563_68233c6a7b_c.jpgFoto-0226 by Wolf Zipp, auf Flickr

When I get a strong force at the leg and freerun wheels, maybe the leg jumps from the pillow ?!

My answer for the Problem is an other ropedrive

35477073082_1372f56350_c.jpgIMG_20170701_103928 by Wolf Zipp, auf Flickr

and (you will me stone with bricks) I changed 8 rolls to ballrolls

35633283985_11921fc403_c.jpgIMG_20170630_191418 by Wolf Zipp, auf Flickr

This combination works without helping hand, but only with both Motors together (wheeldrive and ropedrive)

There are maybe 1,5 % non-LEGO-parts in this machine:

metalhooks, ropes, wires, pneumatic tubes, ballrolls and metalrings.

Edited by Wolf_Zipp

Thanks for the elaborate answer. I must say this is the first time I hear about the issue of bending pins causing sag. It does show that you are really on the edge of what is possible with LEGO.

And so I think it is understandable that you opt to use some non-LEGO components to compensate the inherent weaknesses of LEGO. I know how frustating it can be to have a model in hand that should be able to function, but can't. And not because of sloppy engineering, but just because of the weakness of the plastic itself. So I'll keep my stones in my pocket for now :wink:

Thanks Jeroen, you understand the problems.

I am satisfied to choose this dimension in the early stadium , I can handle the bending, lift the weight and have enough space for the mechanic parts.

I can split the Mainbeam in 2 parts for carry in the car.

I love those big technic builds. Also with all the pneumatics and pf build in to it. Very impressive. Great job..

https://hackaday.com/2017/11/22/functioning-technic-slj900-bridge-builder/ this is where I first ound it.

10.5Kg or about 23 pounds, 200cm, 30cm tall, and it seems to be about 1/5th of minifig scale but it does work moving prefabricated bridge girder section onto bridge support.  The machine can pick up a section 2.56Kg (5.6lbs) and carry it over the gap.  Here's the video of a real machine in action (greatly sped up)

I suspect many of the long time experienced AFOLers would have a hard time coming up with something this complex and be fully working.

I think this has been shared before.  Or at least the earlier versions of this build (this is the final version, we have discussed the preliminary versions of it before).  This thread should probably should be merged with the former (if memory serves).   

That really is something else! That's the type of moc I will build in retirement. Work just gets in the way of fun. Love the first video, I will watch the others too. Epic build.

H

On ‎23‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 8:49 PM, Horace T said:

That really is something else! That's the type of moc I will build in retirement. Work just gets in the way of fun. Love the first video, I will watch the others too. Epic build.

H

Hi Horace T

Yes build it and have fun with it!

But look for the weight , it will work not good with much more weight .

You have it easyer, because here is an working example.