Jim

[TC12] Technic Wacky Wheels Contest - Information Topic

About the crew: There can be only 1 driver, or there can be 2-3 others, who helps him, on the veichle?

Wow, people have started already, or have ideas. I have multiple vague ideas, but without a particular preference for any of them.

I am thinking of not doing suspension, because I figure that will complicate things a lot. There's a lot of wacky things you can do with wheels that will become exponentially more difficult if you want suspension as well.

3 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Wow, people have started already, or have ideas. I have multiple vague ideas, but without a particular preference for any of them.

I am thinking of not doing suspension, because I figure that will complicate things a lot. There's a lot of wacky things you can do with wheels that will become exponentially more difficult if you want suspension as well.

Who needs suspension when I begin mine, but I am at a pause, I don't want my idea taken, but not ready to start. I only finished my battlebot 3 weeks before end.

11 minutes ago, ThatOneBuilder said:

Is it supposed to look funny and act funny or just plain wrong like different length lift arms on each side of suspension?

I thought about that too, maybe @Offroadcreat1ons could enter his cambered Ferrari (I know, already showed).

Probably both. 

Edited by Aventador2004

I think a lot of our questions (including  mine) are open to interpretation...? That's why we're not getting answers?

For my vehicle, the race is through Lego town with full citizen activity ongoing. It may not look that wacky but should perform well in a wacky race...if I'm clever enough to build such a vehicle I have in mind...:wacko:

Started developing a Wacky wheel that will be able to climb stairs and step over obstructions.

Edited by Doug72

This is a fun idea for a contest. I'll make sure I make something fun, but I am so far lacking an idea for an advantage gaining function...

I look forward to the fun ideas from other as well.

I have a few questions:

Are Mindstorms allowed to be used on the vehicle? The rules do state that PF and electronics are allowed, but doesn't state whether Mindstorms can be used.

Also, can you build a vehicle that has 2 modes of transportation (including wheels)? For example, can you have a car that drives like a normal car on wheels, but can retract the wheels to be able to walk on legs hidden underneath?

Just now, The_Icestorm said:

I have a few questions:

Are Mindstorms allowed to be used on the vehicle? The rules do state that PF and electronics are allowed, but doesn't state whether Mindstorms can be used.

Also, can you build a vehicle that has 2 modes of transportation (including wheels)? For example, can you have a car that drives like a normal car on wheels, but can retract the wheels to be able to walk on legs hidden underneath?

It says no legs in the rules. I wouldn't mind mindstorms.

4 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Does a bottom mounted gun count as wacky?

My test model is done already.

Depends on how the vehicle is made to look... Personally I don't think so.For me it would be guns in the tyres:laugh:

4 hours ago, The_Icestorm said:

I don't know, but it should be...

Also, why aren't our questions being answered? @Jim?

2 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

In my opinion, guns (expect cartoony cannons and fireworks) are not really "wacky". 

A Gatling gun that shoots bananas isn't wacky enough? 

3 minutes ago, ThatOneBuilder said:

A Gatling gun that shoots bananas isn't wacky enough? 

From certain muzzle velocity not :D It is just my point of view, but bananas and similar unusual ammo are IMO ok. :D 
It is just point of view. :)

10 hours ago, ThatOneBuilder said:

Depends on how the vehicle is made to look... Personally I don't think so.For me it would be guns in the tyres:laugh:

I already found a wacky idea, minifigure cannon anyone? I think that would be whacked enough.

7 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

He is working on poll, with invision.

4 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

In my opinion, guns (expect cartoony cannons and fireworks) are not really "wacky". 

I thought guns shot from bottom are silly, but they are not wacky I guess.

1 hour ago, HorcikDesigns said:

From certain muzzle velocity not :D It is just my point of view, but bananas and similar unusual ammo are IMO ok. :D 
It is just point of view. :)

Yeah that makes sense... But still,bananas! 

Imagine one made of color vomit!

But your view is perfectly correct and applicable :-D

8 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

All answers to the posed questions can be found in the rules.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

All answers to the posed questions can be found in the rules.

Not quite all of them...

13 hours ago, The_Icestorm said:

Are Mindstorms allowed to be used on the vehicle?

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:01 AM, Erik Leppen said:

is it a driving contest between Lego builders? Or is it just a driving contest between the imaginary drivers sitting in our vehicles?

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:05 PM, mocbuild101 said:

But just one thing, I know videos are mandatory (and I can make one and link to it), but do I really have to embed them? (I'm not on youtube, and I don't want to join just for this)

There'a  a lot of chance I will skip my turn on this one.

I had in project to build a (almost wacky) race vehicle, but no wacky function was planned inside and i have -honestly- no idea of what to do as wacky function. So it will probably be a simple MOC out of the contest.

Now built pair of "really Wacky Wheels"  which work OK plus a bespoke compact studless subtractor drive / steering unit.
The 3rd wheel will be a castor.
Have yet to figure out a suitable 3rd function.

Edited by Doug72