joanfihu

Advice on creating custom figures and sell them

Hello,

I'm trying to bring back a mini-figure that is not in the market anymore. It's very hard to find nowadays.

The only sensible way for me to get it is to print it on LEGO bricks using a custom printing service. In fact, I only need printing on the torso. All the other parts are available elsewhere. I know it might not be the same quality but it's better than not having it.

I mainly want it for my personal collection but I'm sure other collectors would be keen on getting it as well. Therefore, I was thinking of making a few more and sell them on eBay for a few quid. I'd clearly state on the ad that I printed on the Torso and it's a custom one.

Is it legally OK to do it? I've seen many people selling exact replicas using LEGO and non-LEGO parts on eBay. However, just because other people are doing it doesn't mean it's legal. Right?

Could you please give me some advice about it?

Many thanks,
J

Well, as far as copyright, etc., goes, it's probably not legal.  Now, if it's a discontinued item not generally available and you do a custom print for yourself, I don't really see an issue there.  If you sell it, however... that's a lot more sticky.  Is this just not available, period, or is it available but expensive?  If it's something where there are none to be found and you, say, make a small alteration to the design so it's more of an homage to that unavailable part rather than a direct copy (and of course clearly stating what it is), I think you're on better legal - and moral - ground.  Of course, I am not a lawyer.

All that being said, if it is available somewhere but just at a high price, you might still be better off buying it rather than trying to re-print it (unless you're talking about having a lot of this particular minifig, not just 1 or a few in which case the scarcity comes back into play as well).  Even the lower-quality non-pad printing services are often in the $10-15ish range per piece (when it's something more complicated like a torso), and that's not including setup charges... and the fact that many of those services will refuse to replicate an official product.

What minifig is it?

I am not really sure if this topic is appropriate, even though you seem to have the best intentions.

I will move it to buying & selling. Edit: community

I talked to Saber Scorpion recently and he said he had to stop selling his Mass Effect minifigure decals because of...reasons. I didn't ask why specifically, but I assume someone sent him a letter or something.

Then you have people like me who make custom action figures of popular characters, and not once in all these years have any of us been told to stop doing it. Never seen anyone get into legal trouble over it. And you better believe I would tell them to f*ck off if they tried telling me to stop.

It just depends on how much the particular person/company wants to protect their IP.

I think the best solution for a personal project is to make decals since it's a hell of a lot cheaper than pad printing when you consider the startup costs.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

If it is bringing back an original lego figure, or copying the torso of an existing one, then it is making a fake. For personal use, it is fine. If you sell it though, then you are selling a fake. Even if you state this upfront, you are still selling a fake. That fake may also then be sold on as genuine, especially if printed on original lego parts.

What torso is it that is so hard to find?

Hey guys, 

Thank you very much for all your answers. I think it's better to just keep it as a personal project for now.

All the best,

Joan

On 22/08/2017 at 10:06 AM, Ronan said:

What's actually the best way to print parts in good quality and good price?

That all depends on whether you want to pad print (like genuine Lego figures) or get something printed digitally.

7 hours ago, Robianco said:

That all depends on whether you want to pad print (like genuine Lego figures) or get something printed digitally.

I'd like some that are not on relief like many does. 

On 23/8/2017 at 3:13 PM, Robianco said:

What do you suggest?

On 8/23/2017 at 9:32 PM, Ronan said:

I'd like some that are not on relief like many does. 

I hope it helps

Edited by joanfihu

33 minutes ago, joanfihu said:

I've done some research into pad printing vs. UV digital printing.

Pad printing

• higher quality (no relief),
  • less durable
  • very expensive for small batches
  • suitable large scale projects 200+ figures
  • price also depends on the number of colours on the design.

UV printing

• lower quality
  • more durable 
  • cheap for small batches
  • price DOESN'T depends on the number of colours on the design.

1-50 full figures, 5 colours could cost you between £300-£600 using a pad printed service.

I hope it helps

Thank you! Didn't know pad printers had less durable. I don't need 200 of the same minifig. What do you suggest for permanent durable and small quantities?

On 8/25/2017 at 1:30 PM, Ronan said:

Thank you! Didn't know pad printers had less durable. I don't need 200 of the same minifig. What do you suggest for permanent durable and small quantities?

Edited by joanfihu

I'm still not convinced that pad printing is less durable. The people that normally tell you that are digital printers. Yes you can rub print off if you tried but if you're doing that there's no point in owning something.

UV has the coating that hardens it and protects it but Thats also the thing that raises the print.

I'd personally take pad over digital every single time but if you only wanted 10, 20 or even 50 of a figure it's an expensive route to go down. OLS was probably the best digital printer I've seen but even then I'd say they were inferior to pad. 

Either way it depends on how good the artwork you're using is. You can have 10 colour pad printing from an experienced printer but if your artwork is poor then it'll look rubbish.

There are pad printers that will do small runs for you but you need to carefully consider what you want and how much you're prepared to pay for it. It's not cheap.

15 minutes ago, Robianco said:

I'm still not convinced that pad printing is less durable.

It isn't. As many lego minifigures will testify.

I've had plenty of old figures that still have the print on them... of course they'll wear over time but Lego obviously feel the quality outweighs the durability. If they're treated as toys and played with then they'll scratch and rub as all toys will. If they're treated as collectibles and stored they'll look perfect.