exstatik

9v track power problems - advice needed

Hi all,

I recently picked up an old bundle of 9v stuff and I'm a bit stuck with son power issues and hope someone can help. I'm a 12v guy so I'm a bit lost! ?.

The transformer seems to work. I can't get any power to the track. If I connect a cable from the transformer to the motor directly it works fine (or seems to anyway). When I connect the track connector cable to the track it just won't work. I've tried cleaning the track etc.

Also, if I leave the normal 9v cable connected to the motor and then place it on the track with the track connector attached it cuts the power to the motor. 

Does that make sense to anyone? Haha. Hope someone can help as I'm baffled. 

Cheers!

Hej, it me again ;-)

can you please check if the LED in the transformator becomes darker when you plug on the track connector-cable?

The rubber insulation becomes weak by time and sometimes it produce an short-circuit.

1 hour ago, exstatik said:

Also, if I leave the normal 9v cable connected to the motor and then place it on the track with the track connector attached it cuts the power to the motor. 

Is it the same even when the connector-cable is just attached to the track but not to the transformator?

Than there is definetely a short-circuit....

Try and response please. If it is only due to bad insulation, connector cable can be rescued :sweet:

God luck

BrickMusher

@BrickMusher hey again! ?

Yes, when I turn the yellow dial it gets darker/ dimmer with the connector attached. 

And yes it is the same when I do that.

Thank you! ?

Do you have a multimeter?  It can be used to check the tracks and cables for voltage and also test for shorts.

20 hours ago, exstatik said:

Hello,

It's not a good idea to plug the motor directly to the transformer AND the track connector to the tracks
The track connector is not polarized, it depend which track connector you plug to which track. (if you plug in the wrong polarity you make a short-circuit inside the motor)

If you plug the motor directly to the transformer with a normal 9V cable and it work on both polarity, you know that the motor and the transformer are working.
So the problem can be:
- The track connector make a short-circuit
- The track connector is broken (a wire is unplug somewhere the track connector itself or inside the wires)
- The connection between track connector and tracks are not good, the electricity is not going to the tracks.

How can you make test without a multimeter:

1) As BrickMusher  say, some cables have poor insulation, you can look at this video, you can see that the insulation is broken or weak.

2) You have checked the track cable (step 1), and it look good at your eyes,
You can only plug the track connector to the transformer (no tracks,, no motor) and move the button of the transformer on both polarity.
If the led on the transformer go dark, you know that the track connector itself make short-circuit , you need to buy a new one or try to find where is the short-circuit (difficult without multimeter)

3) the step 2 is working.
You can clean the track connection of the track connector, sometimes they don't make good connection to the tracks,.
After that, you can touch the track connector directly to the two wheels of the motor, (not the wheels on the same side of the motor)

PS: sorry for my bad english...

@freestorm hi, thank you for your detailed reply. At step 2 the light is going dark when I turn the transformer dial so it must be this that is faulty. It looks fine with no damage that I can see so not sure what is wrong with it. Are they known to do this? Unfortunately it looks like they are quite expensive to buy ?

You can open the connectors and replace the wire, but it's not easy.

I change the wires on one of my track connector cable.
The pain is the 9V connector, it's difficult without soldering the wires inside the connector.

On 15.8.2017 at 10:29 AM, exstatik said:

@dr_spockI don't unfortunately. What might be making things short? And how can I teat without a meter?

Buying a multimeter would be a good idea, actually. You can get a basic one for less than $5 shipped from China:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Digital-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Ohmmeter-Multimeter-Amp-Volt-AC-DC-Tester-Meter-/382133490665?var=&hash=item58f8ee53e9:m:mxpHCOwaOjaihXVvbNpGlvg

Mine was a little more but I use it all the time. Totally worth it.