Sign in to follow this  
TitusV

Avonhem Manor - Home Sweet Home!

Finally back in Avalonia, Lord Stark and Alric are making the tiring journey to their homesteads. Luckily, they will not have to sleep under the stars this night: Lord Ceron of Avonhem has offered them a  bed for the night and a place at his fire!

36515524376_b17aaa90d9_z.jpg

Avonhem is a small lordship located in the Avalonian heartland, next to the river of Avonmora and downstream of it's big neighbour Sionnach. It's leading family has since long pledged it's swords to the rulers of Benoic, though it has been quite some time they actually had to bare steel for their overlords. It's support to Benoic's war efforts has more come in the form of grain and livestock to feed the glorious troops.

36393650812_010a82d660_b.jpg

36165089380_631a8eb8b5_h.jpg

36393650152_46285c68cc_h.jpg

36165090140_edfd493f2c_h.jpg

Finally back to building in my beloved Avalonian style. Inspiration by ZC and DC, and special thanks goes to @Blufiji for comment and aid while building, and to @de Gothia for letting me use his county. Hope you like it, CC not only very welcome, but also craved for (especially on the tree. As a true Avalonian, I'm ashamed to admit that my trees could be way better). 

Long live the Avalonian dragon! :tongue: 

Edited by TitusV

Great manor !

As always, you build an excellent castle. The Tudor upper parts are greatly done ! Congrats on that ! Just something I. Would like to see is the interior if there is one. There is no pic of the inside. I would like to see more of it ! :moar:

Neat build Titus, the dark green water looks good here, and I also really like the bits of red in with the vegetation.  And the use of microfigs under the tudor is great!  So are those angled poles with the new clip pieces! :thumbup:  

Fantastic!  I love the clean lines and the detail on the Tudor work, especially the slope roof pieces.  I like the juxtaposition of the well-kept manor with the more wild vegetation outside of it--something that I really think of when I think of Avalonia.  The dark green water is awesome.  I really wish I had that many dark green bricks, but it is not to be yet!  As Kai says, the microfigs look awesome in the water.  I don't think there's anything wrong with the tree; its size and shape, plus the bright green color, seem to tell me it's a younger tree, but that's nothing bad.  The overall color scheme is very appealing with the greens and browns.  Awesome job!

Great build!  Heavy Derfel influence always looks good, especially in Avalonia; but I really enjoy how you restrained it a bit and went with a little cleaner look.

Being able to see through the windows to the backdrop is driving me nuts though.  Got to either build more than half the building for real or wall it up with black bricks!  :laugh:

:wub: Lovely, Titus, simply lovely.  Fantastic job all around, so many great details - I'm loving it all (except maybe that tree :grin: :tongue:)!  Awesome Tudor and stone-work - the fairly smooth and not at all over-textured wall is some wonderful relief here, especially in combination with the Tudor and corner tiles; great call there :thumbup:  The landscaping and colorscheme are great as well, and I'm loving the idea and execution with the dark green water and dam/walkway!  The microfigs Kai mentioned and those lanterns are excellent additions as well.

As far as the tree goes - I find that sticking a leaf straight up in the center/top is a difficult concept to pull off well; I think you would have been better off here just going without that one.  Also, generally speaking, angling the leaves/branches can work wonders for trees - check out this or this for a couple of examples (though I'm sure you're familiar with them already!) - or on the other hand, a taller trunk and some nice slopes and pretty basic techniques can make for a very nice tree as well (see some of MassEditor's latest builds, especially in Avalonia, for some great examples - or if we're going for really tall trunks, Brother Steven's huge and epic ones).  I don't think there's too much of a straight "this is the way to put together the best tree" though - there are lots of different awesome variations and types of trees, and it generally takes a fair amount of practice and fiddling to know which will fit where and to capture them perfectly in LEGO form!  Keep at it! :classic:

Holy banana!! 

The moc is a true masterpiece and I´m honoured that you wanted it to be in Benoic! :)

The amount of details you have in the moc is brilliant, yet in don´t look crowded!

Small details like the microfig are great features!

Looks great, Titus! Though I admit I am not a huge fan of tudor-style buildings, you do them exceptionally well. This has the looks of a well-kept house, with clean lines and even smooth stones and intact plaster. The landscape integrates it very well into the surroundings, also, which is great. I love the spiky vine piece under the leaves at the water's edge, as it makes it look more natural that way. The dark green water is also great. The tree looks fine to me, though I do see Garmadon's point about the top leaf. Keep up the good work!

This looks great.  I like the architecture especially the combination of the stone and woodwork.  The landscaping is nicely done.  The bridge is neat.  Overall great job.

Even if I don't build this style man it will never get old. The bushes and shrubs are great and the bridge works well here. As for the manner, I love the tudor but I wouldn't be myself if I don't say it needs more texturing :tongue: Even just a few masonary bricks might help. The cornerstones are a great idea too. I agree with DG about the tree, Trees in lego are very difficult things, I tend to try and avoid them at all cost :laugh:

Also the border is great :thumbup:

A tutorial to this kind of half-timbered tudor-styled houses can now be found on BrickBuilt!

On 14-8-2017 at 1:45 PM, Faladrin said:

Great manor !

As always, you build an excellent castle. The Tudor upper parts are greatly done ! Congrats on that ! Just something I. Would like to see is the interior if there is one. There is no pic of the inside. I would like to see more of it ! :moar:

Thanks Faladrin! I'm sorry to say, but there's no interior (I'm not SK :wink:). Will try to do so in my next build though!

On 14-8-2017 at 4:49 PM, Kai NRG said:

Neat build Titus, the dark green water looks good here, and I also really like the bits of red in with the vegetation.  And the use of microfigs under the tudor is great!  So are those angled poles with the new clip pieces! :thumbup:  

Thank you Kai! Glad you like the microfigs, since they must be one of my favoured details of this MOC! :classic: 

On 14-8-2017 at 8:31 PM, Grover said:

Fantastic!  I love the clean lines and the detail on the Tudor work, especially the slope roof pieces.  I like the juxtaposition of the well-kept manor with the more wild vegetation outside of it--something that I really think of when I think of Avalonia.  The dark green water is awesome.  I really wish I had that many dark green bricks, but it is not to be yet!  As Kai says, the microfigs look awesome in the water.  I don't think there's anything wrong with the tree; its size and shape, plus the bright green color, seem to tell me it's a younger tree, but that's nothing bad.  The overall color scheme is very appealing with the greens and browns.  Awesome job!

If this seems a lot of dark green, you should defenitely go check out one of Blufiji's builds :laugh: Greens and browns are the typical Avalonian colourscheme. Thanks for commenting!

On 15-8-2017 at 3:00 AM, mrcp6d said:

Great build!  Heavy Derfel influence always looks good, especially in Avalonia; but I really enjoy how you restrained it a bit and went with a little cleaner look.

Being able to see through the windows to the backdrop is driving me nuts though.  Got to either build more than half the building for real or wall it up with black bricks!  :laugh:

Well, clean DC is ZC :wink: And you're absolutely right about those windows man! 

On 15-8-2017 at 3:19 AM, Garmadon said:

:wub: Lovely, Titus, simply lovely.  Fantastic job all around, so many great details - I'm loving it all (except maybe that tree :grin: :tongue:)!  Awesome Tudor and stone-work - the fairly smooth and not at all over-textured wall is some wonderful relief here, especially in combination with the Tudor and corner tiles; great call there :thumbup:  The landscaping and colorscheme are great as well, and I'm loving the idea and execution with the dark green water and dam/walkway!  The microfigs Kai mentioned and those lanterns are excellent additions as well.

As far as the tree goes - I find that sticking a leaf straight up in the center/top is a difficult concept to pull off well; I think you would have been better off here just going without that one.  Also, generally speaking, angling the leaves/branches can work wonders for trees - check out this or this for a couple of examples (though I'm sure you're familiar with them already!) - or on the other hand, a taller trunk and some nice slopes and pretty basic techniques can make for a very nice tree as well (see some of MassEditor's latest builds, especially in Avalonia, for some great examples - or if we're going for really tall trunks, Brother Steven's huge and epic ones).  I don't think there's too much of a straight "this is the way to put together the best tree" though - there are lots of different awesome variations and types of trees, and it generally takes a fair amount of practice and fiddling to know which will fit where and to capture them perfectly in LEGO form!  Keep at it! :classic:

You make me blush, Garm. You make me feel like this is CCC-winning level (which it is not, to be honest). I really tried to use as little texture as possible, and though it feels weird I can't say I dislike it. Lanterns are, again, inspired by ZC.

Thank you for the tips on building a tree, I think I will now try to corporate at least one tree in every MOC, so as to "train" myself :wink: 

On 15-8-2017 at 7:49 PM, de Gothia said:

Holy banana!! 

The moc is a true masterpiece and I´m honoured that you wanted it to be in Benoic! :)

The amount of details you have in the moc is brilliant, yet in don´t look crowded!

Small details like the microfig are great features!

Thanks dG, not only for commenting but also for letting me use Benoic! I really like details, so I'm glad you like them too :wink: 

On 15-8-2017 at 8:25 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Looks great, Titus! Though I admit I am not a huge fan of tudor-style buildings, you do them exceptionally well. This has the looks of a well-kept house, with clean lines and even smooth stones and intact plaster. The landscape integrates it very well into the surroundings, also, which is great. I love the spiky vine piece under the leaves at the water's edge, as it makes it look more natural that way. The dark green water is also great. The tree looks fine to me, though I do see Garmadon's point about the top leaf. Keep up the good work!

You're what? No fan of... tudor-style? Go join the darklands, man :tongue: No, thanks sir!

23 hours ago, zoth33 said:

This looks great.  I like the architecture especially the combination of the stone and woodwork.  The landscaping is nicely done.  The bridge is neat.  Overall great job.

Thank you!

14 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Even if I don't build this style man it will never get old. The bushes and shrubs are great and the bridge works well here. As for the manner, I love the tudor but I wouldn't be myself if I don't say it needs more texturing :tongue: Even just a few masonary bricks might help. The cornerstones are a great idea too. I agree with DG about the tree, Trees in lego are very difficult things, I tend to try and avoid them at all cost :laugh:

Also the border is great :thumbup:

Good to hear it'll never get old, since there's more of this to come :grin: Where you are going the way of more texture, I'm trying less texture with every build. A it weird, but I think it turned out nice :wink: 

Glad you noticed the border, since you are the first one and I do actually like it a lot!

4 hours ago, TitusV said:

You're what? No fan of... tudor-style? Go join the darklands, man :tongue: No, thanks sir!

I chose the Enchanted Forest region of Avalonia for a reason... no tudor buildings, or at least comparatively fewer, out there! (It's a human building style, not Elvish, after all.) And ZC builds tudor-style even in the darklands, so I'd be out of luck, I'm afraid...

On donderdag 17 augustus 2017 at 2:59 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I chose the Enchanted Forest region of Avalonia for a reason... no tudor buildings, or at least comparatively fewer, out there! (It's a human building style, not Elvish, after all.) And ZC builds tudor-style even in the darklands, so I'd be out of luck, I'm afraid...

Tudor-styled buildings to rule the world! :laugh:

You have grown from being a decent builder to being one of the best around here over the last two years. It's simply amazing to see your MOCs now!

59 minutes ago, Elostirion said:

You have grown from being a decent builder to being one of the best around here over the last two years. It's simply amazing to see your MOCs now!

Thanks Elostirion! :blush: 

How's BoBS faring these days? :wink: 

Really a gorgeous building :wub: I think you have a great balance of texture, the tudor contrasts nicely with the stone portion, while the corner tiles keep the stone walls from being too flat and boring. Your depth change for windows also breaks up the walls in a neat and orderly fashion :thumbup: Many thanks for sharing the tudor techniques, it's been a very popular tutorial!

Very beautiful moc, my favourite detail is that wooden bridge there, great one... :wub:

On 21-8-2017 at 3:18 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Really a gorgeous building :wub: I think you have a great balance of texture, the tudor contrasts nicely with the stone portion, while the corner tiles keep the stone walls from being too flat and boring. Your depth change for windows also breaks up the walls in a neat and orderly fashion :thumbup: Many thanks for sharing the tudor techniques, it's been a very popular tutorial!

Thank you SK, for the comment but for letting me do this tutorial as well!

On 21-8-2017 at 6:56 PM, Gunman said:

Very beautiful moc, my favourite detail is that wooden bridge there, great one... :wub:

Thanks Gunman, glad you like the bridge (inspired by DC's guide, as always)

On 16-10-2017 at 11:39 AM, Lazer said:

Very nice home you have there! Good job! I like that it's so "orderly"!

It's not because they're medieval villagers, they can't keep their village orderly :wink: Thanks Lazer!