HorcikDesigns

[MOC] Jeep Wrangler Expedition - Update: Instructions and manual version

Hi, 
___ EDIT __________________________________________________________________

This is my latest attempt at building offroad car.

36411927861_4c227db75b_z.jpgJEEP Wrangler Expedition by Horcik Designs, on Flickr

Introduction and Motivation
I built it for the Kostky.org TROPHY, adventurous event and AFOL meeting that is inspired by Camel Trophy series, and was held by Kostky.org (CZ+SK LUG) at 5th August 2017 for the very first time. It was awesome day, and I hope that there will be more.
Here is the the official video from the event. There were really great cars there. 

The car itself

The car was built to fit the rules of the competition. That means reserve "fuel" in the car during whole race before refuelling, remote control (no wire connection between truck and controller, S-bricks allowed) and representative appearance. 
So I decieded to go with the force, and installed two XL motors for the drive, geared down in 3:5 ratio, and two L motors, each for the winch (1:8) and steering (mini LA). I also reduced gearing to the minimum, due to minimal energy-consumption. (I nearly did the whole race to single Li-Po BB)

The car is not perfect, it is very heavy (approx. 1500g), so it does not allow to use CV joints in the front axle for smooth wheel rotation. They managed to withstand the race, but in the finish (before the big uphill from the first video) they were strongly damaged, mostly because of big steering angle.

Well, I hope that the video will say enough, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. :)

Photos:

35715092194_ca17e274a3_z.jpgJEEP Wrangler Expedition by Horcik Designs, on Flickr
36153277760_52cc647479_z.jpgJEEP Wrangler Expedition by Horcik Designs, on Flickr
36550024435_a40bfebbdf_z.jpgJEEP Wrangler Expedition by Horcik Designs, on Flickr
36550011135_68ed785748_z.jpgJEEP Wrangler Expedition by Horcik Designs, on Flickr
36550034625_01629549ef_z.jpgJEEP Wrangler Expedition by Horcik Designs, on Flickr

Edited by HorcikDesigns

Love this one. Also a nice job with the decals you put on it... and the colors black/grey are a good choice..

Nice, I will try to enter a comp one day. Are you allowed to use lego plates to cross things?

Looks great. Love the steering.  

whats the red black wire in the cab for with the white connector? i have similar on my truck which is for 3rd party LI-PO but you have the Lego LI-PO?

also do you have a clutch in the steering system or do you let the LA grind/slip when the steering locks? 

Edited by MangaNOID

I really like the way this looks! The stickers are very nice. :thumbup: Performance is good, but I understand the issues with the CV joints. I have had a lot of trouble with them before. :sceptic:

Thank you very much! I am really glad you like it. :)

@JDL1967  Black chassis is the best of them all, in my opinion. :) And gray body too. :D

@Offroadcreat1ons I can not deny some similarity, but it was not purpose here. 

@Aventador2004 It is allowed to use anything, that you can fit in the car. :devil:  Plates, extra batteries, etc...

@MangaNOID The red-black wire is 3rd party battery (really small and light) that is used for the lights (they are also custom made). I did not want to use the main power source for the lights.

@Leonardo da Bricki Next time I'll use them only for lighter cars. :)

Looks fantastic , the colorscheme is just perfect. Do you happen to have any underside shots of this model?

Dude, I just love this Jeep! The looks are spot on, the internal design is awesome and it's performance is more than I expected, at his weight.
Congrats for winning, it was a very inspirational competition and I already want to see more :)

Edited by braker23

awesome MOC and congrats are in order!! I am going to build this and might try Buwizz for power. Thanks a lot for the LDD file...much appreciated!!

@braker23Thank you very much! :)  I think that here and there could be some things done for the eye better, but it  fills it's purpose enough well, thus it is good :)

@AFOLegofan66 Then I really look forward to see it finished. (Please make it in lime colour :D ) It might be super strong and fast. :) 

15 minutes ago, HorcikDesigns said:

@Aleh & @I_Igor  Thank you very much, I am glad that you like it :)

It is really nice build and it is instantly recognizable :thumbup:

Sorry for bumping old topic, but I had mad idea for further evolution of this project... (with 3rd party tires, off course)

What do you think? Is it good idea, or would it ruin the whole thing?

37378811081_2aec109666_c.jpgShould I do it? by Horcik Designs, on Flickr

direct inspiration:

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg'

Fab Fours Legend (if I remember correctly)

It'd be good to see the change in real bricks.  Not sure the 3rd party tyres would be necessary.  The Unimog tyres look ok. 

2 hours ago, Boulderer said:

It'd be good to see the change in real bricks.  Not sure the 3rd party tyres would be necessary.  The Unimog tyres look ok. 

You just red my mind, it would be cool monster with Unimog tires :thumbup:

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

You just red my mind, it would be cool monster with Unimog tires :thumbup:

I like the UTs (unimog tires) too, but I have none. And I really want to build something with RC offroad tires. :D

8 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

I like the UTs (unimog tires) too, but I have none. And I really want to build something with RC offroad tires. :D

I see...

On 29/09/2017 at 9:15 PM, HorcikDesigns said:

I guess you should go for it, if you have the 3rd party tyres already. 

Sorry for bumping old topic, but it is update of this MOC.

Hi, little update - I am sorry for promising the mad version with big tires, and not being able to finish this project. 
On the other hand, this Jeep is still assembled and I still rebuild it's parts from time to time. 

Here are two last iterations of the final version that might come this autumn, maybe later.

27524889247_09150db96c_c.jpgSecond iteration by Horcik Designs, on Flickr

The first updated version got better roof, improved axles and old (but good-looking) tires. 
For next iteration I bought 3rd party tires and wheels, and added also windscreen and new bumper. rear tire has separate support structure like in real car, and it does not hang on the rear gate anymore.

28897123968_a9986f6ce5_c.jpgSlightly Heretic by Horcik Designs, on Flickr
42771053671_7540e7ca5b_c.jpgSlightly Heretic by Horcik Designs, on Flickr

Plans for next modifications are better body - strongly inspired by Wranglers made by @Madoca 1977 and @rm8, chassis and colourscheme stays mine.

Hope you like it. 

Imho, tyres are too slim, Jeep needs wider ones.

And the rims are cool, no questions!