legoman666

Union Pacific SD70ACe Heritage Fleet - 6 Locomotives!

Hello all. I've been working on these for past several months. I built the first one last year and completed the remaining 5 just recently. I did all the vinyl stickers myself, and I take custom orders. I can print and cut on any color vinyl. Just shoot me an email to legomand666@gmail.com.

Anyway, here's the first one I did, the Missouri Pacific aka MoPac.

31986220605_ede128b966_b.jpg

31838292982_081d058989_b.jpg

31613182140_a26568c6f5_b.jpg

This one was a little tricky because it's powered and the rarity/lack of selection in medium blue. Custom steel wheels pick up 24V DC track power that charges an on-board 10F 24V super capacitor bank. Homemade bluetooth motor controller powers 2 PF L motors.

And the second was the Missouri Kansas Texas aka Katy. 

35285071200_17d89459d5_b.jpg

35632407756_891850f0c5_b.jpg

35735096393_ce3d5d1984_b.jpg

I regret that I had to resort to red vinyl to do the diagonal striping, but there was no other way to achieve the effect I wanted.

The third was the Rio Grande.

36547042675_223ff83605_b.jpg

35787145475_4026b7ed37_b.jpg

36547078775_3f97ecccb9_b.jpg

I debated whether or not to use bright light orange, bright light yellow, or yellow. Fortunately, my wife picked bright light orange (chima yellow), which turned out to be the perfect color. A few tricky bits as a result, no 1x2 grille tile, so I had to creative with the grilles on the rear of the body. Luckily, the ladder is available in bright light orange. Getting the mountain silhouettes to line up across "elevation" changes was difficult. I tried to precut everything perfect, but my mental model was wrong, so I had to do a little slicing and dicing.

Fourth, I built the Western Pacific. 

35698018512_c2a13fef69_b.jpg

35826457396_43452744d3_b.jpg

36500758106_13f4ea0b12_b.jpg

I just realized my photos were taken one BrickLink order prior to completion, but I think the only thing missing are 1x2 dark green grille tile. Anyway, getting the artwork for this one was the hardest part. I ended up downloading an addon pack for a train sim that I dont play, extracted the texture files from it, and vectorized them. It was a lot of work! Also, the 2 x 2 weird slopey piece I like to use for the angles on the nose is not available in dark green so I had to get creative with cheese slopes.

Fifth, I made the Chicago North Western, aka CNW. 

35666965470_38d1f4b56e_b.jpg

35796909672_57130f6f2f_b.jpg

36500869376_071c2b92ee_b.jpg

After using up all my own dark green tile and small plate to make the Western Pacific, I had to buy a bunch to build the CNW. I was glad that I was able to brick-build the dark green to yellow transition. It was kind of tricky to get all the snot to work out, but the result is good.

Lastly, I built the Southern Pacific.

35876976550_024fd345a8_b.jpg

35876979810_fc25f8eac3_b.jpg

36500929596_5e531da9c2_b.jpg

I was dreading this build, I almost didn't bother with it because I thought the prototype was so ugly. But seeing as how I had already completed the previous 5, I decided to go through with it. I'm glad I did, as it had started to grow on me during construction. I tried brick-building the orange/black/red color transition on the front under the cab, but gave up and used a few small pieces of orange vinyl. Lego doesn't make any pieces to do the inverse of a curved slope. Those white pin stripes were a lot of work too. I printed/cut them with my printer pre-spaced, so all I had to do was lift up all 4 at once with transfer tape and put them on the model, but it was still very time consuming getting all the curved and angled bits right.

36283621132_a2f14f7f75_b.jpg

Anyway, that's all for today. Thanks for looking.

Edited by legoman666

They are so nice:wub: I followed this project a bit on flickr, and now I can finally see them all together. Now go for the Norfolk Southern Heritage fleet:grin:

Wow. Impressive work. Nice locomotives.

You run 24V on the tracks and use capacitors in the trains. Why?

edit:

I found earlier posts where you explained the 24V setup.

Edited by brickostan

Excellent job on these. My favorite is the Rio unit. Bright light orange is an exact CMYK value match to the real world color they used.

-Jeffinslaw

((I didn't know that diesels rolled with the help of carbonation))

These look awesome! And, of course, those crisp decals make them all the more so!

Significant work. Liked absolutely all the locomotives. Very similar shape, beautiful coloring, stickers - very high quality.
Afflicts only one thing, vertical rails are a bit thick. But, as I understand, otherwise they can not be done.
Chic models.

Very nice locomotives

I like the way you have made the stickers. Impressive!

Thanks for sharing

6 hours ago, Nemo57 said:

Significant work. Liked absolutely all the locomotives. Very similar shape, beautiful coloring, stickers - very high quality.
Afflicts only one thing, vertical rails are a bit thick. But, as I understand, otherwise they can not be done.
Chic models.

Funnily enough, my friend and I were talking about that. I'm considering 3d printing a thinner piece. I guess I need to start drawing the model.... 

Thanks everyone! Very funny about my soda can bearings :P I considered printing a sticker that more closely resembled the real bearing, but decided to keep it as pure as possible.

Very nice UP EMD family. :thumbup:   Did you get a printer that can print on vinyl?  

42 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Very nice UP EMD family. :thumbup:   Did you get a printer that can print on vinyl?  

Yes, can print and cut. Any color ink including white. Any color vinyl including clear. 

Great collection of Union Pacific EMDs. Your attention to detail is excellent and I'd love to see these in real life.