Digger of Bricks

First 2017 LEGO Ideas Review - Guessing Game

FIRST 2017 LEGO IDEAS REVIEW - GUESSING GAME  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these projects will pass review?

• The Blues Mobile
    • Sega Classic Arcade Machines
    • Quest Builder
    • Red Arrows Hawk
    • Venetian Houses
    • Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    • NBC's The Office
    • Tron Legacy Light Cycle
    • Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
    • Surf Rescue
    • Medieval Watermill
    • None

So, who do you think will be Lego's choice for the First 2017 Ideas Review? :classic:

4479648-Projects_in_Review-o6NaCqMytFEyT

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I would love for the power rangers set to pass but that seems unlikley. I would say the sega arcade machines is the most likley become a Lego set.

'Twould be better if we could select more than one option.

I voted Tron, as it seems to be simple project that they could squeeze into production along with the two big ones they just approved. As for power rangers that project should have been deleted for breaking the no new parts rule a long time ago.:ugh:

28 minutes ago, Umbra-Manis said:

I'll second that. They've approved multiple projects in a single review on five separate occasions now. We should always regard it as the possibility it is.

34 minutes ago, Umbra-Manis said:

I voted Tron, as it seems to be simple project that they could squeeze into production along with the two big ones they just approved. As for power rangers that project should have been deleted for breaking the no new parts rule a long time ago.:ugh:

Tron seems likely enough to me. It's a workable project based on a popular entertainment franchise owned by a company that has already extensively licensed stuff to LEGO, including an Ideas set.

I'm not sure about the "no new parts" rule disqualifying Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, since they're so close to existing parts that could easily be used in a final production set, and the set wouldn't be dependent upon new parts the way some other projects have been. However, I could see LEGO deciding it's already about as much of an existing toy property owned by another toy company as certain other licenses they've rejected for that reason.

Then again, I've been wrong about what they will or won't approve so many times I'm not sure I want to even try making predictions any more. There's really no telling what they'll decide.

47 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I'll second that. They've approved multiple projects in a single review on five separate occasions now. We should always regard it as the possibility it is.

Tron seems likely enough to me. It's a workable project based on a popular entertainment franchise owned by a company that has already extensively licensed stuff to LEGO, including an Ideas set.

I'm not sure about the "no new parts" rule disqualifying Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, since they're so close to existing parts that could easily be used in a final production set, and the set wouldn't be dependent upon new parts the way some other projects have been. However, I could see LEGO deciding it's already about as much of an existing toy property owned by another toy company as certain other licenses they've rejected for that reason.

Then again, I've been wrong about what they will or won't approve so many times I'm not sure I want to even try making predictions any more. There's really no telling what they'll decide.

I agree that they are pretty close (At least in the helmets, those would probably have to be printed visors of some size (Standard or the extra large) on the standard minifig space helmet) except for the armor pieces which are pretty much impossible to be close to any existing pieces. In my opinion that should have resulted in the project being archived shortly after submission and the creator asked to present an actually feasible rendition. It's not a good reason to reject the project since they let it go this far, but on principle it shouldn't have gotten here in the first place.

The Tron bike looks awesome, the arcade machines as well, but I am really taken by the Quest builder. A compelling idea, which is quite in tune with their (smallish) modular creator house-sets. Though - I am just wildly speculating here - TLG might rather make its own modular fantasy-line instead. Maybe with a nice reward for the submitter, so he won't complain they stole his idea :wink:

2 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

40 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I think "None" should be an option :classic:

Agreed on both.

Voted for TRON, as it seems likely (and I want it).

What I'd really like are the Medieval Watermill, Quest Builder, and Venetian Houses, but I don't see those happening.  I bet we'll end up with the Red Arrows Hawk.

While I would absolutely love to see the Tron Legacy Light Cycle actually pass review, I really don't think it will happen since Disney has seemed to have given up on the franchise.

So, playing it safe, I voted for the Medieval Watermill, which to me seems to be the best unlicensed option. But, that was my reasoning when voting for the last review's guessing game, choosing the 1950's Diner as the most plausible possibility. :sceptic:

Fix the poll, you need to allow an option of "none", and multiple selections possible.

Just now, Artanis I said:

Fix the poll, you need to allow an option of "none", and multiple selections possible.

OK, after two requests, "None" is now an option and multiple choices are allowed. :classic:

9 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

While I would absolutely love to see the Tron Legacy Light Cycle actually pass review, I really don't think it will happen since Disney has seemed to have given up on the franchise.

Just last month a Tron attraction was announced for Walt Disney World, so while they may or may not make any more movies, they're clearly still interested in keeping it in the public eye. While I'm not really a fan myself, I still think it has the strongest chance of passing review.

I like Quest Builder, because it is all about interchangeability, as is Lego itself.  The idea seems to be in a class of its own.  Don't know how it would fare in review, but if it had come out during the peak of the Dungeons and Dragons era, it would have flown off the shelves.  It still could if the audience is large enough.  

I've voted for all five of the ones I think likeliest.

That's not to say I think all five will be chosen, but I do think they'll approve one or more of those five (and I think it's less likely that they'll choose "none" than it is they'll choose at least one of those five).

I'm going to go with Sega Arcade Machines as a likely winner. It seems to be in that nice mix of size, nostalgia and unusual subject that Ideas likes. I'm also going to say, entirely depending on timing, that the Tron Lightcycle has an unexpected outside chance. As part of the buildup to Walt Disney Worlds 50th anniversary Disney has broken ground on a ton of new rides for the Florida parks. One of them, the first wholly new Ride Building in Epcot in decades, will be a Tron ride. So there might be some fortuitous timing and marketing interests there. 

31 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

I'm going to go with Sega Arcade Machines as a likely winner. It seems to be in that nice mix of size, nostalgia and unusual subject that Ideas likes. I'm also going to say, entirely depending on timing, that the Tron Lightcycle has an unexpected outside chance. As part of the buildup to Walt Disney Worlds 50th anniversary Disney has broken ground on a ton of new rides for the Florida parks. One of them, the first wholly new Ride Building in Epcot in decades, will be a Tron ride. So there might be some fortuitous timing and marketing interests there. 

Doesn,t Sega Arcade Machines have licenses on their own? I mean, outside a Sega license also Ferrari for Out Run in exemple. That will make the licensing troublesome.

Can't say any of them get me excited, although I voted for Surf Rescue purely because of the story behind it.

On 8/13/2017 at 8:52 PM, x105Black said:

Agreed on both.

Voted for TRON, as it seems likely (and I want it).

What I'd really like are the Medieval Watermill, Quest Builder, and Venetian Houses, but I don't see those happening.  I bet we'll end up with the Red Arrows Hawk.

if that happens, does that open the door for other military related lego (non combat versions, say more like this)

NASA WB-57

928_Desktop.jpg

or

C-130K Hercules W2

Image result for Lockheed C-130K Hercules W2 (L-382)

It's not like it is a matter of "opening the door". Lego has and continues to do a number of military style jets and helicopters. Just so long as they are not in real world military markings. Excepting Coast Guard. Heck Lego has produced a technic C-130 in Coast Guard Markings. I can see them doing the U-2 or SR-71 in NASA markings with no problem. You might even see something such as a USAF marked purely research plane such as an X-15. There seems to be a bit of nuance regarding Lego's "No Real World Military" rules. I think the big rule is "nothing that depicts or implies real world violence or weaponry of war". Context will be everything. For example I don't think Lego would have any more issue making a kit of the US's Air Force One Presidential Plane, then they would of the White House or Parliament. Even though technically it is a US Air Force plane. It's not a combat system. It's not something that a child in a war zone is going to see flying overhead dropping bombs or rolling down the street to the sounds of gunfire and explosions. 

8 hours ago, JGuy said:

What is the strike against Quest Builder?  Just its size?

Lego already did it with Heroica. 

It's kind of strange, but over at the Lego Ideas team's blog, they haven't yet done a fifth 10K Club interview where one should have been done back on October 2nd, a week after the last one. So far, four interviews were done on the blog all a week apart from each other. :shrug_confused:

On 07/10/2017 at 4:28 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

It's kind of strange, but over at the Lego Ideas team's blog, they haven't yet done a fifth 10K Club interview where one should have been done back on October 2nd, a week after the last one. So far, four interviews were done on the blog all a week apart from each other. :shrug_confused:

They haven't done the Power Rangers one yet, have they?