Ayrlego

[COR - Aug FB] Naval Medicine Research Centre, Port Woodhouse

So far we have focused on buildings in Port Woodhouse used by the army. Of course it is not just the army present in the settlement, the sheltered waters of the aptly named Safety Bay make for an excellent anchorage for the Royal Navy - indeed the Navy is investing greatly in the settlement. This cottage is one of such investments and houses Naval surgeon Dr David Cole. Dr Cole has been researching that scourge of the Brick Seas, scurvy for many years. He has had great success treating sailors afflicted with the disease with the juice of fresh citrus fruits such as limes, oranges and lemons. He has been hoping to develop a treatment that can be taken on the long sea journeys as a preventative and treatment for sailors, but has thus far not been successful in finding a way to preserve the juice in a way that it still is effective in the treatment of the disease. Colonial Governor Colonel Dirk Allcock has promised Dr Cole that he will establish a citrus plantation on Garma's Key to provide an adequate supply of raw material for Dr Cole to continue his research.

36349316102_b76b379b64_c.jpg

36349317362_8e536d7768_c.jpg

The third of my Port Woodhouse series in the same style. Licensed as a medium educational building.

Edited by Ayrlego

Really beautiful, I love this cottage, and the tree fits really well with the scene.

All the color of your leaf, plant, grass and flower are so... non standard green !! Were did you get all of these ?

I only had green and dark green leaf/plant/grass and white flowers

Very nice build, Ayrlego, and great to see this topic getting some love in the Brick Seas :pir-sweet:  (Perfect facial expression for that guy inside, by the way! :pir_laugh2: :pir-grin:)  The building and architecture are great and very much in keeping with the style of Port Woodhouse, and that citrus tree is just splendid!  I don't have any alt-bricks myself, but their leaves sure do look fabulous!  And last but not least, that parrot is a great splash of color here too! :grin: :thumbup:

Beautiful!

White backgrounds for white houses do have some drawbacks, but aside from that nothing to criticize. The tree creates the most wonderful atmosphere.

Another really good build in this style from you Ayrlego, I particularly like the 2x1s over the windows!  Very pretty tree too, great combination of colors! :thumbup: 

Beautiful building and great storyline! I love the wraparound porch. I also really like the technique you used to put the windows frames in. I also like the vegetation and specifically the tree. The parasol is also a nice touch. I like how Port Woodhouse is turning out. 

8 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Really beautiful, I love this cottage, and the tree fits really well with the scene.

All the color of your leaf, plant, grass and flower are so... non standard green !! Were did you get all of these ?

I only had green and dark green leaf/plant/grass and white flowers

Thanks Professor Thaum!

The small leaves (2423), grass stalks (3741) and plant stems (15279) are all Lego parts in olive green. The flowers are also Lego, I think they are medium lavender (on the vine) and magneta for the flowers on the ground - although my knowledge of the proper names for all the new pink colours isnt great!

The large leaves on the tree are not Lego, but a third party part that Garm correctly identifies being from Altbricks. They are great quality, although a little more brittle than real Lego, and the clutch is tighter. They have a wide range of colours not available in Lego and are handy for if you want some more variation in your trees and vegetation.

7 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Very nice build, Ayrlego, and great to see this topic getting some love in the Brick Seas :pir-sweet:  (Perfect facial expression for that guy inside, by the way! :pir_laugh2: :pir-grin:)  The building and architecture are great and very much in keeping with the style of Port Woodhouse, and that citrus tree is just splendid!  I don't have any alt-bricks myself, but their leaves sure do look fabulous!  And last but not least, that parrot is a great splash of color here too! :grin: :thumbup:

Thanks Garm! I tried several faces before settling on that one! The parrot was a last minute addition - as every original pirate set seemed to have at least one I must remember to include them more!

6 hours ago, Elostirion said:

Beautiful!

White backgrounds for white houses do have some drawbacks, but aside from that nothing to criticize. The tree creates the most wonderful atmosphere.

Thanks Elos, yeah the background isn't the best - I need to experiment with some better options. I'm very pleased with how the tree came out!

5 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Another really good build in this style from you Ayrlego, I particularly like the 2x1s over the windows!  Very pretty tree too, great combination of colors! :thumbup: 

Thanks Kai. Also thanks for not pointing out I ran out of 1x2 dark red tiles for the side windows :pir-blush: !!

3 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

Beautiful building and great storyline! I love the wraparound porch. I also really like the technique you used to put the windows frames in. I also like the vegetation and specifically the tree. The parasol is also a nice touch. I like how Port Woodhouse is turning out. 

Thanks SilentWolf! The couple out the front just seemed to lack something, so I tried the parasol (I'm always looking for an excuse to incorporate some classic pieces!) I really like it.

As usual, another build that blows anything I could ever do out of the water. :tongue: Great Job Ayrlego, but I've got to say, you really should take more photos. How do I know that the Hospital beds aren't a seperate build? :grin:

WoW, you are churning out great MOCs non stop! I love this as well and you sir are surely setting the standards for all of us!

I particular;y like the irregular base, the lush tree and as always, the 1x1 round bricks roof (my favorite roof design tbh) :wink:

I really like this build! The great use of non-regular greens, the overall design of the house (roofline and porch in particular, cheese slopes above the windows), and the nice contouring of the base. Minifig building and posing (parasol, patient's face) are also excellent. Frist rate all around! :thumbup: