Sign in to follow this  
knotian

3RD party bendable track

Is there any source of plastic individual lengths of track, not including ties, that can be bent to custom curves and fastened, with clips or holes, to bricks? I want to use rail in an industrial setting with special tugs and cars. Lego rail system is too large as far as radius is concerned.  I am thinking of a extruded product if possible. The three rail switches are available.

Thanks,

Ed

Not yet, but there is like HO and O scale bendable metal rails that you could (probably) affix to lego plates. Nobody has made a plastic rail version yet, maybe you could be the first?

lol

How tight a radius do you need?   I think LEGO flex track can go tighter than R40.  You could also try using a heat gun on LEGO or 3rd party individual rail pieces and form them to the radii you need. 

Now that we've conflated the issue of how the tracks are bent, I was going to suggest flex track - not having any (I was actually kind of repulsed by them when TLG started pushing them), I'm wondering if flex track gives enough latitudinal flex to be used for an incline like the heated track used for the roller coaster.

EDIT: BTW, those white supports they use in the roller coaster... like $0.69/each on S@H.  I could quote bricklink prices, but nobody has a significant number of them - not that I can see, for less than that anyway.  Looks like you can order up to 200 of them from S@H.  That means they are using over $1000 worth of supports.  That's a lot.  Obviously.  I'm wondering if there's a third party something like that is available from - like AltBricks girders ($35 for 200 of them, but they are only 1x3x2, and only gray).

Edited by fred67

2 hours ago, fred67 said:

EDIT: BTW, those white supports they use in the roller coaster... like $0.69/each on S@H.  I could quote bricklink prices, but nobody has a significant number of them - not that I can see, for less than that anyway.  Looks like you can order up to 200 of them from S@H.  That means they are using over $1000 worth of supports.  That's a lot...

Maybe they got a bunch of those 7937 train station sets? But even so, there are only 8 of those per set...!

Whew, talk about disposable income!

On 4-2-2018 at 7:53 AM, ygbrown said:

Here is a video of a guy bending lego brick track with an air gun

Ouch, it hurts my eyes. Modifications can be necessary but this goes a bit too far for my taste.

@fred67: those supports would be nice for Lugbulk 2019 :)

Ahhh.... I did a LUG event once; I'd like to do a lot more, but work/life gets in the way.  They did an event last month and I was away on business that weekend.  That's how it usually seems to work, unfortunately.