Falconfan1414

Disney's Future with Lego

With Disney being one of Lego's most successful licenses for example: Star Wars, Marvel, Disney minifigure series, the Disney princess line, several d2c, toy story, cars, and probably many more. I wonder what Lego will do with some of the big Pixar and Disney movies coming out like toy story 4 coming out soon or maybe even expand to movies like Incredibles 2 and Wreck it Ralph. 

It's hard to say, but it seems like unless it's a franchise that has proven to be a cash cow like Toy Story, Cars, POTC, and the Disney Princesses, TLG isn't interested in producing any sets for them, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Wreck-it-Ralph 2. Toy Story 4 is a possibility since we've had TS sets before, and with the inclusion of Syndrome and Mr. Incredible in the CMFs, I hope that's a hint that we'll get Incredibles 2 sets as well, although it's less likely. And as long as Disney keeps making POTC sequels, I'm sure we'll keep getting sets based on them.

"Disney" is a sprawling entertainment behemoth encompassing multiple production studios and IPs, many of which have had LEGO minifigures, sets, or entire themes, and many more of which haven't yet but seem well-suited for it, and likely will in the future. Consider - every single one of the following Disney-owned or otherwise Disney-associated IPs has had at least one official LEGO product at some point (a few of them before they were owned by Disney, but still), and some are ongoing themes with no end in sight:

Disney (Disney Animation Studios, live-action Disney, etc.; encompasses most of the Disney Princess characters, plus things like the current Disney Castle):

Mickey Mouse & friends

Aladdin

Alice in Wonderland

Beauty and the Beast

Cinderella

Doc McStuffins

Frozen

Lilo & Stitch

The Little Mermaid

The Lone Ranger

Miles From Tomorrowland

Moana

Peter Pan / Jake & the Neverland Pirates

Pirates of the Caribbean

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Sleeping Beauty

Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs

Sofia the First

Tangled

Winnie the Pooh

Pixar

Toy Story

Cars (& non-Pixar spinoff Planes)

WALL•E

The Incredibles

Brave

Lucasfilm

Star Wars

Indiana Jones

Marvel

Marvel

Considering the sheer volume of characters, stories, licenses and themes involved between Disney and LEGO, the fact their licensing relationship actually predates LEGO bricks (LEGO's first licensed product was a wooden pull toy of Pluto, waaaay back in the '30s or '40s), the fact the two companies' milieus are both centered around family-friendly, imaginative creation, and the fact at least a couple of themes (Star Wars and Marvel) appear easily capable of running indefinitely, I fully expect the relationship to continue for a long, long time to come. That doesn't mean every single Disney production from here on will get accompanying LEGO sets, of course, but I do think they'll evaluate each new Disney thing for LEGO potential. In particular I think it's likely each new addition to the canon of Disney Princesses will appear in at least one minidoll-based set, forthcoming entries in sporadically-active franchises that have previously yielded LEGO themes (Pirates of the Caribbean, Toy Story, Indiana Jones, etc.) will bring about the returns of those themes to LEGO, and the ongoing Marvel Superheroes and Star Wars themes will be with us each year for many years to come.

The question I would have is given Disney's interest in it's own streaming service and they're own action figure line (Star Wars Elite), could Disney one day develop their own brick-built product and abandon Lego? 

Disney is really able to do anything right now and their only recent product failure was Infinity, but that was plagued from the beginning. 

2 hours ago, HawkLord said:

The question I would have is given Disney's interest in it's own streaming service and they're own action figure line (Star Wars Elite), could Disney one day develop their own brick-built product and abandon Lego? 

Disney is really able to do anything right now and their only recent product failure was Infinity, but that was plagued from the beginning. 

I guess it's not outside the realm of possibility, but that probably wont happen anytime soon as their partnership with Lego seems to be going fairly well at the moment, especially with Star Wars. I'd hope that they are smart enough to realize that even Disney can't really compete with Lego, so it's better for everyone if they keep it the way it is. And even if they do produce their own building toy, it doesn't mean their partnership with Lego has to end. For example, they produce their own Mickey-shaped vinyl figures while still letting Funko make figs based on their characters at the same time.

2 hours ago, HawkLord said:

I don't think it would happen anytime soon. LEGO is such a big brand name, it would be foolhardy for Disney to go against it and not utilize it for their own gains. I don't think Disney could offer anything to the market that would really compare, then again, they'd have Star Wars and Marvel soo, would it need to compare? ><

Regarding the original post, they seem to be using the Juniors line a bit more these days to push franchises. I mean Cars 3 was an entire line inserted into the juniors theme. It definitely gives them incredible potential, and some are certainly on par with the traditional sets with regards to playability. 

Edited by Catanas

38 minutes ago, Catanas said:

Regarding the original post, they seem to be using the Juniors line a bit more these days to push franchises. I mean Cars 3 was an entire line inserted into the juniors theme. It definitely gives them incredible potential, and some are certainly on par with the traditional sets with regards to playability. 

Is the incredible and on par supposed to be a hint towards incredible 2 sets? (I know that might be a long shot but with the title and on par like their last names being the parrs)

1 minute ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Is the incredible and on par supposed to be a hint towards incredible 2 sets? (I know that might be a long shot but with the title and on par like their last names being the parrs)

Coincidental I'm sure! :P But it would indeed be nice! :)

Edited by Catanas

3 hours ago, Catanas said:

Coincidental I'm sure! :P But it would indeed be nice! :)

I suspect this will be the case, something I've hypothesized about before on @Ookami's thread linked below.

I would hope that the continued partnership between Lego and Star Wars would keep Disney in the game as a whole for the foreseeable future.

For the future,

I would obviously like to see the continuation of Star Wars, Marvel, and the Disney Princess/fairy tale lines.

Incredibles 2 seems like a bit of a stretch honestly, but I think it might work well as a mini juniors wave as some have mentioned. I think that Toy Story 4 is highly likely to get something (but molded heads or regular minifigs this time around?)

I'd like to see them branch out to the other live action movies Disney has made, such as Tomorrowland and the upcoming Jungle Cruise movie, although I can understand why they haven't yet. These movies don't do as well or receive as much attention as the Princess movies do.

I'd also like to see Disney return in a second wave of CMFs as well as a second D2C (I'm thinking the Disneyland Train Station and train).

All together I see Disney's future in the Juniors and Minidoll lines for most themes going forward, with the more adult oriented properties getting system sets or D2C's like Pirates did this year.

But Lego, please, give us at least one National Treasure set.

On 8/11/2017 at 11:17 AM, HawkLord said:

I think Hasbro is in much greater jeopardy here than LEGO... Disney's Star Wars Elite line is clearly a shot across Hasbro's bow, being that it competes directly with (and in some cases is visually indistinguishable from) Hasbro's still-newish 6" line of action figures. There's also a lot more frustration and discontent among Star Wars Hasbro collectors than there is among Star Wars LEGO collectors. Hasbro's license is up for renewal in 2 years I believe, and I wouldn't be surprised if Disney scales it back to allow for increased competition from both Disney and other brands, like LEGO.... which I hope will finally allow a Star Wars CMF line.

On 09/08/2017 at 11:13 PM, Oky said:

It's hard to say, but it seems like unless it's a franchise that has proven to be a cash cow like Toy Story, Cars, POTC, and the Disney Princesses, TLG isn't interested in producing any sets for them, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Wreck-it-Ralph 2. Toy Story 4 is a possibility since we've had TS sets before, and with the inclusion of Syndrome and Mr. Incredible in the CMFs, I hope that's a hint that we'll get Incredibles 2 sets as well, although it's less likely. And as long as Disney keeps making POTC sequels, I'm sure we'll keep getting sets based on them.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a LEGO Toy Story game.

1 hour ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

I've been clamoring for one for years, so I really hope you're right! There are plenty of characters and scenes they could use for such a game! After Dimensions got announced and didn't have any Disney IPs, I had given up hope, but now that they seem to be abandoning that game as a platform for releasing movie based games and doing normal videogames again, I feel more hopeful. But it's not gonna happen unless they have some TS4 sets to tie in with it, so fingers crossed we get both!

3 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Not gonna lie, that's makes a lot of sense, but only time will tell friend!

This might be a stretch but either they are doing Jurassic world junior sets or there are 3 blank junior boxes in the leaked photos along with 2 duplo sets. Could they be incredibles 2 sets?

Just now, Falconfan1414 said:

This might be a stretch but either they are doing Jurassic world junior sets or there are 3 blank junior boxes in the leaked photos along with 2 duplo sets. Could they be incredibles 2 sets?

Are those five JW2 sets all for Juniors?! Hmm, I hope those aren't the only JW2 sets we are expecting. :look:

As for those other three sets, it certainly would be cool if they were for the Incredibles 2.

10 minutes ago, npgcole said:

Just2Good confirmed Incredibles 2 Juniors sets.

So did Instagram user lego_peru, three of them in fact.

How do you like that? :blush:

I don't mind the Incredibles 2 being Junior sets so long as the characters are minifigures.

I'm pretty impressed with the other Disney sets. Cinderella's castle almost looks like a regular Lego set, the building techniques in this theme are finally starting to mature. Too, the color scheme is starting to look a lot better, much closer to the movies. And the fact that they're regularly including side characters and villains is a vast improvement.

Edited by strangely

On 20/08/2017 at 9:17 PM, Oky said:

I've been clamoring for one for years, so I really hope you're right! There are plenty of characters and scenes they could use for such a game! After Dimensions got announced and didn't have any Disney IPs, I had given up hope, but now that they seem to be abandoning that game as a platform for releasing movie based games and doing normal videogames again, I feel more hopeful. But it's not gonna happen unless they have some TS4 sets to tie in with it, so fingers crossed we get both!

The only thing that might stop it is whether they can sort out a deal with Hasbro to use Mr Potato Head. It would be odd if he wasn't in the game.

Does anyone think Lego will just use the juniors for Pixar movies now? If it is the case then toy story 4 will probably be juniors. Also for the incredibles 2 sets I hope they include all of the family members plus frozone. They wouldn't leave one out right?

Edited by Falconfan1414