opchee

How to Melt/Solvent Weld Technic Axle Pin? Acetone Didn't Work...

Anybody have any ideas on how to melt Technic Axle Pins? This, or this.  I soaked a blue axle-pin in 100% acetone for like a day and nothing happened to it.  I know my acetone is good as it easily turned a standard white leg into goop.  I was planning on welding the pin end into the bottom hole of a 2x2 brick or a minifig hat.  Anyone know if MEK would work?  Or do I need something else?  Just want to see if anyone has experience before buying.  I was hoping to soak the pin end in some solvent and soften it enough so that when I jam it into a hat, the pin mushrooms/deforms into a blob a bit.  What about heating the pin gently over a candle flame?

Otherwise, I suppose my other option is to glue the pin to the hat with some plastic cement/putty/CA super glue, etc.

Thanks!

MEK should work with welding Lego together. MEK is also used by hobby model builders to fuse plastics together. The bond is permanent as MEK melts the two plastics together allowing them rebond together. All of this happens within seconds. Allow 24 hours total cure time. Make sure to use a needle dropper as you will only need a tiny drop to fuse the two pieces together. Have the pieces handy when doing this, as the solvent will evaporate quickly. In that regard, work in a well ventilated area away from any source of heat/flame.

I'm surprised they didn't dissolve as most Lego does in acetone, although they probably have a different composition (like minifig hands do) to make them a bit harder / more resilient to stress.

No, it is a chemical name - methyl ethyl ketone also known as butanone. It is similar to acetone, with one extra carbon in the chain so vapourises at slightly higher temperature.