Just one question; is it kind of new trend to use smaller V-config engine? I personally would use V8 like in this year 42069 set. IMHO it is strange that engine is so small and gearbox could be uses as chassis part because of it's size 

@I_Igor hmmmm, kinda. They take less space, are more realistic compared to vehicle's scale(only some cases, in Sheepo's mustant the normal V8 fits well) and they look cooler sometimes ;)

@I_Igor I've checked the engine scale:

640x341.jpg

(From: http://www.amggtforum.com/forum/13-2016-mercedes-amg-gt-pictures/1722-amg-gt-naked-drive-train.html)

and I thought a smaller one would fit better. (the bigger one is too long and too narrow.)

also, as @IA creations said, it takes less space (in this case, 4studs). With the bigger one, the D-N-R selector had to go too much behind, and that looked so awful. 

Edited by move5
source

As far as I know, the engine is under that black cover. What you marked with yellow, is part of the gearbox. 

The engine is in both areas :) It's still a V8. Afaik the GT R has a transaxle transmission. So the gearbox is on the rear axle.... Also the rear axle diff is way to large to be only the diff.

@move5 and @IA creations it is just my thought, but isn't it wired that crankshaft and connecting rod are actually not connected? Why is it then called connecting rod?

mian+parts+of+engine+copy.jpg

Edited by I_Igor

11 minutes ago, IA creations said:

@I_Igor they just look good :)

Well Beauty is in the eye of beholder, so I understand (and respect) your point. 

Regards

@I_Igor Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, (as I'm not so good at english) but are you saying that we must not call them connecting rod?

29 minutes ago, move5 said:

@I_Igor Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, (as I'm not so good at english) but are you saying that we must not call them connecting rod?

No, I'm just saying that I'm a bit oldfashioned about this. Don't give yourself a headachse cause of it. :wink:

I tried a shifting mechanism that I thought of myself, but it didn't work well.

So I decided to use @Didumos69's paddle shift used in his ultimately playable 42056.

So I made a quick replica of his mechanism, but it doesn't work.

After one shift, the center knob isn't in the right angle. So I have to rotate it a bit for the next shift.

What's wrong with it? Did I miss something?

This is a classic issue....

All will work properly once you will have this stepper finished. You miss actually of the system that lock the central knob  by 90°.

Thanks, @steph77. Problem solved.

However, another problem arose. A huge one.  I just built a simple front axle prototype, and......

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Oh My God.

the wheel touches the shifting mechanism.....:cry_sad:

To keep this model in scale, I have to redesign the shifting mechanism.

A lot of work to do.......:cry_sad::cry_sad::cry_sad:

Btw, this model is going to have rear wheels steered also. (able to choose between either go the same way was the front wheels or the other way)

This model is coming along really well... but you have reached the point of having to limit your functions over your form. At this point, you may have to sacrifice some, most, or all of an interior in order to accommodate everything. Also, how do you plan to incorporate the steering selection switch? There will be no space left with the inclusion of a paddle shifter.

The project I am working on required this... In order to have a six-speed transmission in the already extremely slim body, and still have drive, steering, and a battery box, there will be no interior, except perhaps a steering wheel and the top half of a chair. If that...

1 hour ago, move5 said:

Did I miss something?

You missed the rubber band that is used to keep it as 90 degrees

I have been following this topic with interest since I have just nearly finished my version of this car, albeit in a smaller 1:10 scale. The shifting mechanism can be made smaller for sure. Have a look at my DB11 thread, there I show another implementation of a 8D+N+R gearbox which is more compact than your solution.

In my version of this car I was able to put in a standard V8 LEGO engine, a 4 speed sequential gearbox, 4 wheel steering that is dependent on the gear in which you are in and a fully detailed interior with adjustable seats. So at your scale I wouldn't compromise yet on the amount of functions you want to put in. You should have space enough to get everything in.

So hang in there, redesign the gearbox and go forward again.

1. I chose the 8 speed gearbox as a core of this model, so I will never give up on using it.

2.@Jeroen OttensCurrently I have a solution not to touch the wheel but only no time to implement it. So I find no reason to redesign the whole gearbox, which is operating well. Also, I need the spaces in the back not filled because I would like to add a convertible mechanism there. Btw, do you mean that you were also building an amg gt r?

36 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Also, how do you plan to incorporate the steering selection switch?

800x450.jpg                                                                                                             The steering axle will go all the way to the back in the yellow area, and the switch will be on the back. FYI, I'm not using the same switch as the xerion tractor- I'm planning to use 42056's d-n-r selctor mechanism, which will be modified to be able to be changed only when the steering axle is at the original angle, which means it will be only changed when the steering wheel is at the original position.

1 hour ago, move5 said:

1. I chose the 8 speed gearbox as a core of this model, so I will never give up on using it.

2.@Jeroen OttensCurrently I have a solution not to touch the wheel but only no time to implement it. So I find no reason to redesign the whole gearbox, which is operating well. Also, I need the spaces in the back not filled because I would like to add a convertible mechanism there. Btw, do you mean that you were also building an amg gt r?

3. The steering axle will go all the way to the back in the yellow area, and the switch will be on the back. FYI, I'm not using the same switch as the xerion tractor- I'm planning to use 42056's d-n-r selctor mechanism, which will be modified to be able to be changed only when the steering axle is at the original angle, which means it will be only changed when the steering wheel is at the original position.

Good to hear you have found a solution. And yes, I was also doing an AMG GT R I expect to be able to show it here in a couple of weeks.

3 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Good to hear you have found a solution. And yes, I was also doing an AMG GT R I expect to be able to show it here in a couple of weeks.

Did you get wheelcovers... :wink:    

Looking good move5.

5 hours ago, move5 said:

The steering axle will go all the way to the back in the yellow area,

Doesn't that mean the steering will require a needlessly large amount of gears?

On 8/15/2017 at 4:26 PM, I_Igor said:

@move5 and @IA creations it is just my thought, but isn't it wired that crankshaft and connecting rod are actually not connected? Why is it then called connecting rod?

<pic>

Pretty sure its called that as it connects the piston to the rest of the engine or the crankshaft...

6 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

And yes, I was also doing an AMG GT R

What a coincidence! I hope to make something different from your gt r, so could you upload some wip pictures? Not only I but everyone would love to see them.

2 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Doesn't that mean the steering will require a needlessly large amount of gears?

It'll have some gears, but not too much to make big friction. I'll try first, even if it fails. And even if it fails, I'll somewhen find a solution.