Sariel

[VIDEO REVIEW] 42070-B: Research explorer vehicle

If you thought the 42070 A-model was bad, the B-model is here to convince you it was actually pretty good. In fact, it seems to have been built solely for that purpose:

Good review :thumbup:, i like this set but still think it is overpriced..

Great review, like always! Personally I don't like the A or B model. The drive sucks for both, the tow line is pretty much a cosmetic, and I think the opening of the body on the B-Model is kinda pointless. Not my favourite technic set and defiantly overpriced. One of my favourite more recent (Just retired last year) technic sets was the Volvo Front and Loader. That had great drive for it's size and weight and the other functions were great. The steering was a bit jerky but that's somewhat unavoidable unless you have a speed controlled remote. What's your favourite technic set @Sariel ?

Edited by MovieMocs

Hard to pick one definite favorite, but I dream of getting the Control Center 2 one day...

Thanks for not only wasting your time but mine too...

This set looks more and more "meh" to me after seeing this video review of the b model. Too bad that so many good parts went to wast; maybe @jim can put up a contest for a c model?

Thanks for the hard work @Sariel

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Just now, JunkstyleGio said:

maybe @Jim can put up a contest for a c model?

Even worse, he can put it up as a prize.

Thanks for the review, @Sariel - it feels like you took one for the team here.

Thanks @Sariel for saving everybody's time. Your review demonstrates clearly that this is not a B model worth building. Right after the election of the worst US President we have the election of the worst Technic flagship. :wacko::wacko:

23 minutes ago, Sariel said:

Hard to pick one definite favorite, but I dream of getting the Control Center 2 one day...

That's a cool set :) $300.00 on ebay...

Thanks for a good, and after all, objective review! The B model appears to me to be more like a bad joke! However, I like the A model, with a lot of MOD potential, so I am probably going to get it anyway, despite the price (there is a norwegian site selling it for apx. 200 euro).

1 hour ago, Sariel said:

That set is really great, and the models are simply amazing! The helicopter is IMO one of the best official Technic models ever, and the T. Rex is magic!

Edited by kolbjha

A while ago I saw a topic called something like "Your Worst MOCs". This "Research Explorer" vehicle is literally worse than 99% percent of the MOCs I saw in that topic. 

We finally got the movable lights though :laugh:

Thanks for reviewing this model. 

What a disappointment! 42070 could have been a farming vehicle to compliment the claas veron that was, and is, so popular. The PF controls are wasted on it, they would be better on the 42069.

H

1 hour ago, BusterHaus said:

Even worse, he can put it up as a prize.

Thanks for the review, @Sariel - it feels like you took one for the team here.

You may now take your base ....:laugh:

But seriously, this set really turned out to be a disappointment.  Lol....I am the infamous one who pointed out 42056 price tag was not really that bad, and usually try to advocate for Lego set's behalf in that there is something inherently wrong with children sets being judged by adults.  But even I can't find much to be happy about with this set.  And that says a lot!!

43 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

But then we would need the set! No one would participate!

I was thinking the same. It's a very, very expensive idea. Perhaps a cheaper idea would be to build a smaller replica of the A-model? See how small you can build while retaining the functionality :)

Like the others have said. Thanks for taking one for the team @Sariel

7 minutes ago, Lasse D said:

I was thinking the same. It's a very, very expensive idea. Perhaps a cheaper idea would be to build a smaller replica of the A-model? See how small you can build while retaining the functionality :)

That's an awesome idea! 

And of course, thanks for taking one for the team @Sariel . You saved a lot of AFOLs from utter disappointment.

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

Thank you Sariel for your review. I was expecting that research vehicle will have at least AWS.

You've been quite harsh regarding both A and B models. I am wondering if this was a plan from Lego from the beginning - to tone down the expectations after 2016. Perhaps we'll be more grateful for the future (great) sets.

With all the elaborate design process I (want to) believe that this flop decrease in design quality has some deeper meaning.

4 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

You may now take your base ....:laugh:

But seriously, this set really turned out to be a disappointment.  Lol....I am the infamous one who pointed out 42056 price tag was not really that bad, and usually try to advocate for Lego set's behalf in that there is something inherently wrong with children sets being judged by adults.  But even I can't find much to be happy about with this set.  And that says a lot!!

Considering that Uwe Wabra designed both these extensively overpriced sets, he may be considered the Neymar of Technic Designers...

But on a serious note, IMHO 42070 is, price aside, a lot less worse than common opinion seems to agree. Building experience is really nice, many gears, no boring/repetitive parts. It indeed looks a bit unfinished on some parts (missing rear bed, interios, doors) but overall it looks big and mean like it should. Functions work pretty well and my kids love to play with it, much more than other great sets such as 42009 and 42054. In fact, 42070 is their favorite, together with 42055. Which makes me think Lego hits its target audience pretty well... By the way, switching manually between remote functions is not a problem for them, probably because the need to attach the cable manually anyway...

On topic, I think the review of the B model hits the nail on the head. A missed opportunity, especially with so many great parts left unused.

I reject the argument that because kids like something, it automatically gets a pass on being bad. Kids will play with a bag of dog s--t if you let them. Or MegaBlocks. (#shotsfired). Also, how old are your kids? If they're young, and they like it, Lego actually goofed, because Technic is an older demographic. So, what? Are you just putting an arbitrary number on the box so that people will think they are more advanced builders, even if the set itself has been dumbed down?

Anyway, it's been a long time since we've had a true stinker of a set, and 42070 is it, for the 40th Anniversary of Technic. If the B model only makes the A model look good, and does nothing else, you've failed, because the 2 in 1 thing is part of the value of the set, and if you put two lousy models in the box, and charge $290 for it, that's charging too much. I almost can't believe that Lego would let the designers get away with such a blatant display of laziness, with a B model this bad. I'm sorry you wasted 2 hours of your life building this monstrosity, @Sariel

You know, I have a question. With all of the blatant shortcuts in the flagship set, and less so the entire 2017 lineup. is something bad happening in the Technic department?

6 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

I reject the argument that because kids like something, it automatically gets a pass on being bad. Kids will play with a bag of dog s--t if you let them. Or MegaBlocks. (#shotsfired). Also, how old are your kids? 

You seem to reject any argument which doesn't support your thoughts on 42070. I assume you built it yourself to solidify your opinion?

Edited by rener
Typo corrected

1 hour ago, J_C said:

if you put this on rebrickable as MOC, how many likes would it get?

Edited by IA creations
-1 I think :)

Well, I would not be to harsh on this model. Sure, I don't like it but I recognize some effort to go in some new direction. Larger, more wheels and larger price. I am sure Lego will learn from that. But I also think some less-that-perfect models are also necessary to explore some options. Perhaps Uwe's models are not perfect for MY taste but I do recognize his effort to search for some new milestones. 

Please keep positive. In worst case, if you don't like the 42070, you will get to keep your 250€ or spend it on something else (I've done that already, I own two Saturn V :-))