True to its word, Eslandola sent workers to New Haven to help build a new settlement for the refugees that chose not to stay in Malto. Corrington had already started to build houses for them, but the refugees needed more than housing. One of the first buildings the Eslandolan workers built was a small tower mill that could grind grain into flour.

windmill1.jpg

Admittedly, the plasterer needs to return for a second pass at completing his job, but the mill is already operational. The refugees can now mill grain supplied by Corrington into flour. When the refugees are harvesting their own grain, they will be well on their way to handling their own food needs.

Some additional views:

Spoiler

windmill2.jpg

windmill3.jpg

windmill4.jpg

This property can be licensed as a small factory.

--------------

This build started as an attempt to see what I could do with some of those angled wall panels and the angled door frame. I didn't think it was looking very good as I started, but getting some brick details onto the other walls started to help, and when the roof and sails went on it improved a bunch. The top rotates as it should, as do the sails.

All C&C welcome.

This is very nice! I have been thinking about building a mill myself for a while. 

The turbines are quite nice, and you have some good techniques there, but there are a few things I would change if I were you. 

1) The roof. The current roof looks good, but often a SNOT roof looks better, and there are a lot of different SNOT roof techniques. I have a topic on roofs that you can find here.

2) The door. It is always nice to use a TLG premade door, and some of them are rather nice, too. I prefer the do-it-yourself door, here are some pictures of different types:

Image result for lego doorImage result for lego door

But aside from those, I like your scene. I always build smallish scenes like that. You can find my flickr here.

XBrick

Nice and simple but effective mill design! Somehow I am certain this typ of mill will flood BoBS islands :wink:

Another great mill Capt Wolf! I like the simplicity of the angled wall pieces and how you have included the red of the printed bricks when building the rest of the structure. A fine addition to New Haven. Corrington thanks you on behalf of the refugees who have settled there.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, XBrickmonster said:

This is very nice! I have been thinking about building a mill myself for a while. 

The turbines are quite nice, and you have some good techniques there, but there are a few things I would change if I were you. 

1) The roof. The current roof looks good, but often a SNOT roof looks better, and there are a lot of different SNOT roof techniques. I have a topic on roofs that you can find here.

2) The door. It is always nice to use a TLG premade door, and some of them are rather nice, too. I prefer the do-it-yourself door,

But aside from those, I like your scene. I always build smallish scenes like that. You can find my flickr here.

XBrick

Thanks. I'm not sure why more people don't build mills in BoBS. They're perfect factories for the age of sail period. Regarding the roof, I used a traditional slope build just for the ease of construction, as I wasn't going very fancy on this. Same for the door, as using the angled door frame was part of my initial challenge to myself, but I agree that a good brick-build door is always nice. I've done a few, including ones you can find in this build.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:28 PM, blackdeathgr said:

Nice and simple but effective mill design! Somehow I am certain this typ of mill will flood BoBS islands :wink:

Thanks! Will these start to pop up on Oleon islands with tan cows looking on? :wink:

20 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Another great mill Capt Wolf! I like the simplicity of the angled wall pieces and how you have included the red of the printed bricks when building the rest of the structure. A fine addition to New Haven. Corrington thanks you on behalf of the refugees who have settled there.

Thanks! With the red brick printing on the panels, I had to do something to continue it onto the other walls. And the general design with the angled walls wound up working better than I initially expected. No advanced techniques, but it works. Now I have to build one that I can license for myself. :pir-grin:

1 hour ago, Capt Wolf said:

Thanks! Will these start to pop up on Oleon islands with tan cows looking on? :wink:

Hahahaha! One can never be certain about anything! Though Oleander industrial espionage is flourishing these days :tongue:

On 8/9/2017 at 0:07 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Thanks. I'm not sure why more people don't build mills in BoBS. They're perfect factories for the age of sail period. Regarding the roof, I used a traditional slope build just for the ease of construction, as I wasn't going very fancy on this. Same for the door, as using the angled door frame was part of my initial challenge to myself, but I agree that a good brick-build door is always nice. I've done a few, including ones you can find in this build.

@Capt Wolf That's a nice door.

BoBS seems pretty cool, but I tried to join, but it seems rather complex. I am beginning a Lands of Mythron character, so I don't know if I have enough time and I feel I wouldn't put in enough effort for it to be worth it.

39 minutes ago, XBrickmonster said:

BoBS seems pretty cool, but I tried to join, but it seems rather complex. I am beginning a Lands of Mythron character, so I don't know if I have enough time and I feel I wouldn't put in enough effort for it to be worth it.

If you decide you do have time for BoBS, check out the Quick Start guide. The game isn't as complex as it looks. Create a character, choose a faction, and post and introduce said character and off you go. Or feel free to ask questions in the Introduction thread. Whatever faction you might join, there will be players ready and willing to help you through the early steps of getting established, getting your first property and first ship, and whatnot. And each faction has group PMs for their group plans, so once you join a faction, you'll be part of a group, not just out on your own without any guidance. This is also a great time to join, as we're about to release some revised rules, so you'll be in on the ground floor of our "Era II".

1 hour ago, Capt Wolf said:

If you decide you do have time for BoBS, check out the Quick Start guide. The game isn't as complex as it looks. Create a character, choose a faction, and post and introduce said character and off you go. Or feel free to ask questions in the Introduction thread. Whatever faction you might join, there will be players ready and willing to help you through the early steps of getting established, getting your first property and first ship, and whatnot. And each faction has group PMs for their group plans, so once you join a faction, you'll be part of a group, not just out on your own without any guidance. This is also a great time to join, as we're about to release some revised rules, so you'll be in on the ground floor of our "Era II".

Thanks @Capt Wolf! I'll check it out!

Nice windmill, Captain Wolf! The octagonal design is very innovative and the ladders/blades are very effective.... In other words, it really seems a windmill! :pir-classic:

Great use of the corner wall pieces and the angled door frame! I had been looking forward to seeing more windmills in BOBS and this one definitely does not disappoint. The landscape is a little plain, and I might recommend a non square base to help out with it. I do like the way you did the top of the mill. Great addition to New Haven!

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:10 AM, Keymonus said:

Nice windmill, Captain Wolf! The octagonal design is very innovative and the ladders/blades are very effective.... In other words, it really seems a windmill! :pir-classic:

Thanks!

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, SilentWolf said:

Great use of the corner wall pieces and the angled door frame! I had been looking forward to seeing more windmills in BOBS and this one definitely does not disappoint. The landscape is a little plain, and I might recommend a non square base to help out with it. I do like the way you did the top of the mill. Great addition to New Haven!

Thanks! I agree that my landscape suffers mightily when I'm in a hurry. I tried to dress it up a little bit beyond a 16x16 square, but I admit it wasn't much. And thanks for noting the roof. I was very happy with how that turned out.