*thomas*

Track Ballast - Ideas needed

Hi all

I'am building a large diorama with a station and warehouse. I have about 14 ft of track which I would like to give some more depth than just putting it on baseplates.

Do you guys/girls have any ideas on how I can achieve this?

Thanks

Thomas

Up front: I am not an expert in building Lego trains, but the first thing that came into my mind was putting it on a causeway. That's also a nice opportunity to put some vegetation along the track. Of course on a diorama of that size it is going to use up quite a lot of pieces. Especially if you want to achieve a decent amount of detailing. Giving it an internal structure made of technic beams should make it nicely sturdy though.

There are some great resources out there for this question. Just about every LUG has their own standard for track ballast. While I am not a part of any LUG...yet. I think the track ballast by PennLUG is some of the best I have encountered. It is both realistic, and seems quite sturdy. Very rich in detail. Depending on the scope of your project you might want to check out their layouts. I know you can find them on Flickr... Unfortunately I do not have a link right off hand. They use a standard close to the MILS discussed on www.l-gauge.org. Also, Brick Model Railroader will probably have good resources on this too.

Thanks for the input guys.

@Duq I spent quite some time browsing flickr, google and pinterest, but nothing really did it for me... I might be fussy, I don't know.

Posted (edited)

This is how I ballast my layout. The light bluish gray ballast is for a double mainline, while the dark bluish gray is intended for yards. It can be done with Me Models track as well as LEGO Power Functions and 9V track, as long as you have the parts to cover up the dark bley.

Me Models vs Power Functions Ballast

Dark Bluish Grey Ballast

LEGO Track Ballast Example

Ballast Example

On 8/6/2017 at 8:30 AM, Duq said:

Have you heard of 'Search' and 'Google'?

Google search won't show you everything. If he hadn't made this topic, I would have never bothered uploading pictures of my track in the first place.

Edited by Aaron