Hello, My Fellow Lego Community!

I need your help. I have searched the web, but have been unsuccessful in finding a classic Lego carrying case. It had a hard red plastic cover with a thin gray flappable plastic handle, and two gray plastic sliding "knobs" (not really knobs because they did not turn, only slide). It resembled a briefcase but was designed to hold Lego's. I got it back in the early 90's and someone recently discarded the only one I had. I contacted Lego's directly and they had no idea what I was referring to. They sent me samples of the same red cases you can find on eBay and sites alike...if it doesn't have a gray plastic handle, then it's probably not it. Does ANYBODY know, remember, or have the case I am referring to? Thank you for your help. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Was it something like this? https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?G=case4

In your place I'd look through the 'gear' section of Bricklink catalogue, see if you can find a match.  Failing that, I know some old Technic sets came with that sort of thing, maybe, I don't remember exactly.

Edited by Space Police XVIII

Hi SP,

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, that's the same one the Lego's rep sent me. The identifying feature is the gray flappable handle. It must have been a limited edition or only a small supply printed because this is mind boggling.

to the forums btw Marc.

firstly what region are you in.  IF your in North america, then it May have been something Samsonite added as they were not above adding sets/gear etc especially in the 80;s/90's when they were the distributor on this side of the pond.

given nothing listed in bricklink seems to match what your describing, it may well of been a rare country exclusive item.  might need to bring the forums resident "history" guru in on this conundrum.

On 8/4/2017 at 7:18 PM, Foxw said:

to the forums btw Marc.

firstly what region are you in.  IF your in North america, then it May have been something Samsonite added as they were not above adding sets/gear etc especially in the 80;s/90's when they were the distributor on this side of the pond.

given nothing listed in bricklink seems to match what your describing, it may well of been a rare country exclusive item.  might need to bring the forums resident "history" guru in on this conundrum.

Hey, Fox!

Yes, I am in North America and I never thought of that. Great point, thank you. Very helpful.

The key comment to the Original Posters description was "flappable handle".  None of the Samsonite carrying cases (made in either red or blue from 1966-71) had a flappable handle... they were all non-moving handles.  

9585935225_154b0a706e_b.jpg

However... that said... even the European carrying cases were of a non-moving handle type.....  

Just want to say I appreciate all your help, guys!! This is what I call honorable at its finest. I'm going to buy the blue one from the other company as it's the closest I could find, but thank you so much for all your help regarding this matter. You guys are amazing! 

Here's another possibility of a red Lego case with a flappable handle. It's from 1974 (Bricklink 7000). This educational case was unique to Canada made by Samsonite and also came in cream and black colours.

IMG_0103.jpg

11 minutes ago, Stratford said:

Here's another possibility of a red Lego case with a flappable handle. It's from 1974 (Bricklink 7000). This educational case was unique to Canada made by Samsonite and also came in cream and black colours.

IMG_0103.jpg

I mean, wow that's necroing a thread but this is really interesting to see this briefcase.

Thats a Samsonite system 4 ABS vacuüm formed suitcase.
I've been a Samsonite dealer and sold plenty standard versions of these quite expensive suitcases.

But this red color with the recess for the Lego sticker is a special edition.
They made more special cases, F.E. cases for Snap-On tools.