Hoth Rebel

Voltron & Ship in Bottle IDEAS approved

11 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

The latest LEGO Ideas review results are in, and there shall indeed be an official LEGO Voltron set released next year.

:excited:

What the heck? I posted this in Licensed, not here...

When I saw the ship in a bottle reach 10,000 supporters I knew it was going all the way. Like another poster wrote, it's a perfect display piece. Adult buyers will grab this and I'm sure it will be big at Christmas. I think it looks cool and will try to pick it up. I bet the price will be decent too. 

Have never heard about voltron earlier and have no interest in it, but a lot of people are happy so good for them :grin:

The ship on the other hand is one of the most original submissions to ideas I have seen! A lot of the sets on Ideas, are from current Lego themes e.g. star wars, modular buildings or "copy's" of sets that have already been released as ideas sets. Many er well done, but not original at all.. The ship in the bottle on the other hand are  and it is a perfect ideas set!

I guess it will be a perfect parts pack for aquarium mocs also :laugh:

Voltron looks great,  But must say I love the ship in the bottle, think its such an interesting piece, not really seen that before.  Out of most things in the review, this was was something different, and i'm very excited to see how it comes out.  Certainly would be keen to purchase both of these sets.

11 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I think we've already saw this coming after Bali Padda's comment at this year's Media Fan Days event regarding their interest in Asian IPs. I doubt he was just speaking of this license alone, so you've got to wonder what else is being considered.

Maybe if LEGO does more Asian IPs, this could give LEGO a boost of popularity in Japan and other Asian regions!

Now I wonder if Voltron will make an appearance in The Lego Movie 2 or other future cinematic Lego films, given Lego now has a license partnership with the IP owner.

The character certainly would fit well into the sequel, if we are to believe the film is as spacey as it has been said to be. :shrug_oh_well:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Now I wonder if Voltron will make an appearance in The Lego Movie 2 or other future cinematic Lego films, given Lego now has a license partnership with the IP owner.

The character certainly would fit well into the sequel, if we are to believe the film is as spacey as it has been said to be. :shrug_oh_well:

That would be cool.  Then again, I'd be down for a whole LEGO Voltron Movie...

2 hours ago, x105Black said:

Well, if WB couldn't negotiate a Voltron cameo for the sequel, what if they opted for an Iron Giant one instead in the same way they've done for Ready Player One? After all, The Iron Giant is already WB property, and it would be an amazing alternative to the rejected Ideas project. I certainly know @legonerd54321 must be bummed out about those results now, so I could hope to perhaps see something like that happen, just as long as it results in a set. :shrug_oh_well:

3 hours ago, x105Black said:

If there was a LEGO Voltron movie, it would have to be a direct-to-DVD film. Just like the four LEGO Justice League movies and LEGO Scooby-Doo: Haunted Hollywood & Blowout Beach Bash.

23 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

If there was a LEGO Voltron movie, it would have to be a direct-to-DVD film. Just like the four LEGO Justice League movies and LEGO Scooby-Doo: Haunted Hollywood & Blowout Beach Bash.

Sure, but a cinematic depiction is always many times more amazing, since those TT Games style animations are very meh. If the settings in those movies were actually brick built and the characters' movement done in a restricted fashion, maybe I would tolerate them more.

2 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

That would be perfectly fine with me.  Hopefully I could get some kind of exclusive figure out of it, too.

Sure, but a cinematic depiction is always many times more amazing, since those TT Games style animations are very meh. If the settings in those movies were actually brick built and the characters' movement done in a restricted fashion, maybe I would tolerate them more.

Good point.  I like the LEGO Movie style that looks more like stop-motion.

Just now, x105Black said:

That would be perfectly fine with me.  Hopefully I could get some kind of exclusive figure out of it, too.

If Dimensions were to continue (which it most likely will not), it could of most plausibly have given us a pack with a minifigure version of Voltron, in the same way we got that Marshmallow Man figure for Ghostbusters.

Such a figure could have looked like the depiction on this custom T-shirt.

th?id=OIP.XDogttDnyehCyyJi-yW7KADsDs&pid=15.1

If Dimensions were to continue (which it most likely will not), it could of most plausibly have given us a pack with a minifigure version of Voltron, in the same way we got that Marshmallow Man figure for Ghostbusters.

Such a figure could have looked like the depiction on this custom T-shirt.

Oh man, that would have been so amazing.  I'd love to see that figure come out in one way or another.  It's just too perfect!

On 8/4/2017 at 1:41 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, if WB couldn't negotiate a Voltron cameo for the sequel, what if they opted for an Iron Giant one instead in the same way they've done for Ready Player One? After all, The Iron Giant is already WB property, and it would be an amazing alternative to the rejected Ideas project. I certainly know @legonerd54321 must be bummed out about those results now, so I could hope to perhaps see something like that happen, just as long as it results in a set. :shrug_oh_well:

Let me weep in peace :cry_sad:

On 3.8.2017 at 9:41 PM, Klaus-Dieter said:

That Votron thing is absolutely not my cup of tea. Aren't there already more than enough battle mechs in Ninjago and Nexo Knights?! :thumbdown:

But the Ship In A Bottle is the first Ideas set I might be interested in - since it does really look amazing! :thumbup:

As a fan of mechs and similiar robots, I can assure you there are not enough of these around in Ninjago and Nexo Knights, as both themes mostly focus on vehicles. Not to mention that it looks even more grim on the constraction front, with both Bionicle and Mixels being gone, leaving us only with Star Wars Constraction, and who knows how long that is going to last. So seeing LEGO being willing to go for another license featuring Mechs is much appreciated.

The Ship in a bottle is nonetheless a nice idea, even though it's not a set I'm interested in.

Edited by ZORK64

On 03/08/2017 at 7:28 PM, MAB said:

It looks like you build the ship and then build the bottle around it. If so, it is not really a proper ship in a bottle. If they do make it with masts that you have to pull up after putting the ship in through the neck, then it might be a nice set. Otherwise, it is a bit of a cheat set.

I think you've become lost on the Internet. This is a Lego forum, not an actual 'ship in a bottle' forum. If I wanted an actual ship in a bottle experience, I'd buy an actual ship in a bottle model to build. This is a Lego ship, in a Lego bottle. It is therefore an actual Lego ship in a Lego bottle. Just because it is not built how it's scale modeller's counterpart is built does not in any manner suddenly mean it's not what it is intending to be. Nor is it a cheat set. You build it like Lego, it looks like Lego, because funnily enough it is Lego, and because of that it can't always imitate everything, which is perfectly acceptable and does not take anything away from it being a Lego set of a ship in a bottle, it looks really good for a static display piece and I'll certainly be getting one.

And I'll enjoy seeing I have a proper Lego ship in a bottle. 

The whole point of ships in bottles isn't just that it's a ship in a bottle and looks nice on display, but rather the challenge to build the ship inside the bottle. It's like building a big house of cards out of Lego.

So it is a bit of a cheat set, and unless you also have a real ship-in-a-bottle that you put together yourself, then you're missing the point of the experience! It may as well be a snowglobe or a 2D mosaic. That's not to say that it doesn't look good as a display piece, but it's still cheating!:pir-sceptic:

7 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

I think you've become lost on the Internet. This is a Lego forum, not an actual 'ship in a bottle' forum. If I wanted an actual ship in a bottle experience, I'd buy an actual ship in a bottle model to build. This is a Lego ship, in a Lego bottle. It is therefore an actual Lego ship in a Lego bottle. Just because it is not built how it's scale modeller's counterpart is built does not in any manner suddenly mean it's not what it is intending to be. Nor is it a cheat set. You build it like Lego, it looks like Lego, because funnily enough it is Lego, and because of that it can't always imitate everything, which is perfectly acceptable and does not take anything away from it being a Lego set of a ship in a bottle, it looks really good for a static display piece and I'll certainly be getting one.

And I'll enjoy seeing I have a proper Lego ship in a bottle. 

There are enough hinges in the lego portfolio that this could have been made with masts that get pulled up through the neck of the bottle, so that there is a surprise in the set that it is built like a real ship in a bottle. It is a cheat, as anything can be made to fit into a bottle if the bottle is built around it. The point of a ship in a bottle is the question "how did you get that big thing in there?" Of course, if the bottle has to be assembled anyway, then the answer is obvious.

To me, it is a not very good ship in a not very good bottle. Made out of lego.

1 hour ago, BrickWild said:

I really wanted that Land Rover 4x4 and VW Golf! :cry_sad:

Maybe they gonna make Lego Creator Expert products out of it...

Regarding the "Cheat Set" debate, I'd like to mention that the legitimate way of building a ship in a bottle is probably not feasible to recreate in Lego simply due to how you build with Lego: Lego bricks and studs need to be pressed together with some amount of force to connect, same applies to hinges. Therefore, building the bottle first and assembling the ship inside the bottle is probably simply not possible in Lego.

And assuming it is actually possible... who's to say that the set itself doesn't actually allow you to go that route? I mean, we haven't seen the actual set yet. Maybe TLG changes a few things about the pitched design to actually allow for this kind of assembly for all those ship building purists?

17 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

Regarding the "Cheat Set" debate, I'd like to mention that the legitimate way of building a ship in a bottle is probably not feasible to recreate in Lego simply due to how you build with Lego: Lego bricks and studs need to be pressed together with some amount of force to connect, same applies to hinges. Therefore, building the bottle first and assembling the ship inside the bottle is probably simply not possible in Lego.

You don't assemble the ship inside a bottle. You assemble it outside, just with the masts bent forwards and have the masts pull up after you poke it in through the neck. With the hinges lego has available, I would imagine it is possible to do something similar.

13 hours ago, MAB said:

You don't assemble the ship inside a bottle. You assemble it outside, just with the masts bent forwards and have the masts pull up after you poke it in through the neck. With the hinges lego has available, I would imagine it is possible to do something similar.

Oh... silly me. I probably should've researched how those things are built before writing this post. :blush:

Regardless, my second point still stands: TLG might change the pitched model, so it's still possible that the actual set will allow to pull up the masts like you do with the real deal.