Hoth Rebel

Voltron & Ship in Bottle IDEAS approved

4633443-Third_2016_Review_Results-tzIbZL

Over the past several months, the LEGO Review Board has carefully reviewed 12 projects that reached 10,000 supporters between September 2016 and January 2017, our third review qualification period of 2016. Sanne, our Project Manager, shares the results from LEGOLAND in Billund:

Ship In A Bottle, The Flagship Leviathan.

A big congratulations to JakeSadovich77 on becoming the next official LEGO Ideas fan designer!

As an avid LEGO builder, Jacob Sadovich was inspired to create his LEGO Ship in a Bottle, The Flaship Leviathan, following a real-life ship in a bottle that he had built just a few years ago. 
We’re really excited to be able to introduce Jacob's Ship in a Bottle, The Flashship Leviathan set for its unique approach to what official LEGO sets can look like.

If you'd like to learn more about Jacob then make sure to check out his 10K Club Interview.

4633435-Ship_in_a_bottle_-_The_Flagship_

Voltron - Defender of the Universe

A big congratulations to len_d69 on becoming the next official LEGO Ideas fan designer!

Leandro’s passion for Voltron started at a very young age when his parents bought him a Voltron toy. From that moment on Leandro was hooked. Building with LEGO bricks allowed Leandro to celebrate his passion for Voltron - Defender of the Universe even more. 

We’re really excited to be able to introduce Leandro’s Voltron - Defender of the Universe set. Leandro’s project sets itself apart for its creative way to build with LEGO bricks.

If you'd like to learn more about Leandro then make sure to check out his 10K Club Interview.

4633439-Voltron_-_Defender_of_the_Unives

Source: https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/f20a58da-a8fd-4a2c-a0db-3a094de6fe21

The latest LEGO Ideas review results are in, and there shall indeed be an official LEGO Voltron set released next year.

:excited:

The ship in the bottle is pretty cool, interested in seeing how Lego does it. 

I'm bummed the 1950's Diner didn't get approved.  That set would have been so perfect for my Christmas village.  Maybe the designer will decide to sell the plans on his own now.

Sweet!

Along with the ship in the bottle!

Unfortunately no tram. I'm off to the train tech forum to post a rant. :laugh:

6 minutes ago, aukevin said:

It looks like you build the ship and then build the bottle around it. If so, it is not really a proper ship in a bottle. If they do make it with masts that you have to pull up after putting the ship in through the neck, then it might be a nice set. Otherwise, it is a bit of a cheat set.

Edited by MAB

9 minutes ago, MAB said:

Otherwise, it is a bit of a cheat set.

It will probably be a "cheat" ship-in-a-bottle, since the neck of the bottle is closed off quite a bit by the stud connections.  As it is build, there does not appear to be any way that the ship would even fit through the empty space left in the neck of the bottle.  It would be nice, though, if LEGO can redesign the bottle neck and ship to allow for the resemblance to a real ship-in-a-bottle techniques.

I think this thread should be to discuss about the ship set since Voltron goes to the licensed forum

I have to say I'm shocked to see this Ship in a Bottle set got approved *huh*

20 minutes ago, aukevin said:

Unless something changes during the design process, I'm just happy to see that this set will be giving us four of part no. 6002, not seen in Trans-clear since 1992's 6416 Poolside Paradise.

25 minutes ago, aukevin said:

I'm bummed the 1950's Diner didn't get approved.  That set would have been so perfect for my Christmas village.  Maybe the designer will decide to sell the plans on his own now.

Same here, along with the rejection of both the Vintage Tram and The Iron Giant projects. :sceptic:

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

I have to say I'm shocked to see this Ship in a Bottle set got approved *huh*

I must say that when I very first saw and supported the Ship in a Bottle set, my thought was that this is exactly what I view LEGO Ideas to be about!  It makes a nice display piece that appeals to adults and children.  I still would probably rather build my own than just buy one someone else designed, but I do think this design is quite nice.

Now I guess they gonna make a Lego Creator Expert out of those VW Golf and an official LEGO Star Wars UCS of those Speeder...

I don't see the appeal in Ship in a Bottle, but I'm glad others do. I would've bought the Diner or the Tram in a heartbeat, but hey, you can't always get what you want.

Voltron, on the other hand! :wub: I just started watching the Netflix reboot, and it's pretty good! I definitely have my eyes on the Voltron set.

I am very curious to see how they pull off the ship in a bottle, both in terms of build techniques as well as parts used.

I have no feelings toward Voltron either way, other than that I would be curious to know the details of the license.

LEGO VOLTRON?!

Count me in!

I have a rather odd past with Voltron, since I live in Germany, who had a very lackluster original dub of the Voltron anime (I also confused it for a sequel to Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs, which was actually a huge hit here in Germany, kinda like how Voltron was in the US). However, when the studio Anime House got the rights to Voltron, they decided to incorporate some tongue-in-cheek humor worthy of an abridged series (while still remaining faithful to the original Voltron, and even including a few nods to the Japanese anime it was based on), and it was the best thing ever.

Also, the Netflix reboot is a great show aswell.

So yeah, LEGO Voltron sounds pretty neat, I'm looking forward to how TLG will tackle this!

52 minutes ago, rodiziorobs said:

I am very curious to see how they pull off the ship in a bottle, both in terms of build techniques as well as parts used.

I have no feelings toward Voltron either way, other than that I would be curious to know the details of the license.

The ship is simple, just make the ship then half of the bottle, but the ship in it and then make the front of it...

Not too excited about the Ship in a Bottle, but I am over the moon for the Voltron set!  I've got to have it.  Probably 2!

Thank you very much for this information, Kevii23! :classic:

That Votron thing is absolutely not my cup of tea. Aren't there already more than enough battle mechs in Ninjago and Nexo Knights?! :thumbdown:

But the Ship In A Bottle is the first Ideas set I might be interested in - since it does really look amazing! :thumbup:

I have now most of the Lego Ideas set, except the Birds, Adventure Time, The Big Bang Theory and Exo Suit, just not my cup of tea!

Love the Voltron. Hopefully it's the classic version they'll go for, not the reboot. I can't understand all the hate either way. Lego fans can be a boring fuddy duddy bunch sometimes.

I'm happy LEGO is making an official Voltron set! I'm pretty sure it'll be based on the Classic Voltron from 1984. I still hope it'll be a transforming/combining mech.

BTW, did you guys notice this will be LEGO's first set to be based on a Japanese anime franchise? I wonder if LEGO Voltron will be released in Japan as a Beast King GoLion LEGO set...

1 hour ago, MatthewRC said:

I'm happy LEGO is making an official Voltron set! I'm pretty sure it'll be based on the Classic Voltron from 1984. I still hope it'll be a transforming/combining mech.

BTW, did you guys notice this will be LEGO's first set to be based on a Japanese anime franchise? I wonder if LEGO Voltron will be released in Japan as a Beast King GoLion LEGO set...

Continuing with animation from the '80s, how about Robotech (Macross) or Transformers?

Voltron in Lego form is AMAZING! This is a first day purchase 4 me, as it may sell out quicklyHoping it remains the '80s version. If the final model looks as good as the pictured project, I'll have to start saving up my money. Wonder how much $$$ it will be? 

6 minutes ago, BitByBrick said:

Continuing with animation from the '80s, how about Robotech (Macross) or Transformers?

Voltron in Lego form is AMAZING! This is a first day purchase 4 me, as it may sell out quicklyHoping it remains the '80s version. If the final model looks as good as the pictured project, I'll have to start saving up my money. Wonder how much $$$ it will be? 

Transformers will absolutely never happen since competitor toy company Hasbro owns this franchise. Due to the failure of the Kre-O line, Hasbro might as well acquire K'NEX, just like Mattel's acquisition of Mega Brands.

Robotech may be ideal in LEGO form, but is highly unlikely because of legal wars involving Harmony Gold.

I think LEGO should make sets based on more kid-friendly Japanese franchises.

2 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

I think we've already saw this coming after Bali Padda's comment at this year's Media Fan Days event regarding their interest in Asian IPs. I doubt he was just speaking of this license alone, so you've got to wonder what else is being considered.

Was hoping for Voltron & Red Dwarf, was expecting Tram, Diner and/or Voltron.

When she brought up the ship in the bottle I had another "noooooooooooooo" moment (like last review) until I realised there was a 2nd set and that it was the one that mattered! Over a year I've been impatiently waiting for this result, and now what hideous price tag it will have (also gotta have 2, you know). I don't mind if it's original 80s Voltron or the new one or what, any recognisable lion Voltron will do for me.

Honestly surprised about the ship, to me the joins in the bottle parts visually detract from it too much. But it is a nice piece. I don't think I'd buy it.

Woo hoo! Lego Voltron. How very awesome.

I hope that it's nice and stable when transforming and when playing in lion form or robot / Voltron form.