theycallmemrdarko

(MOC) Constitution Bar WIP

Here's a modular that is currently a work in progress. Still a lot of work to do on floor 2 and 3 but just looking for any finishing touches people could recommend for the bar portion. I do plan on swapping out my breakaway wall to be dark tan so it won't feel so industrial. Thanks in advance!

35396553203_f8c57bd3a1_c.jpg20170727_003951 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

36144433122_69591d988d_c.jpg20170801_004905 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

36275430985_f3624caa49_c.jpg20170730_001243 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

35917370880_ea05dbcb2d_c.jpg20170801_004022 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

35917357410_dd4b7ccce6_c.jpg20170801_004944 by David Kerkes, on Flickr

This looks excellent! The deco elements inside make it look very atmospheric and inviting, whilst the facade gives it an appropriate, classical touch. :classic: The access to the are upstairs will be separate from the bar itself?

15 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

This looks excellent! The deco elements inside make it look very atmospheric and inviting, whilst the facade gives it an appropriate, classical touch. :classic: The access to the are upstairs will be separate from the bar itself?

Thank you very much! Yeah the stairs will be separate much like the Pet Shop modular. Still trying to decide if I want apartments or little office upstairs but just trying to nail down the 1st floor first. 

it looks Great!!!

- I like the way you made the entrance portal / hal / door

and Love, Love the Jukebox!

can't wait to see when it's finist

Greetings!

3 hours ago, carebear said:

it looks Great!!!

- I like the way you made the entrance portal / hal / door

and Love, Love the Jukebox!

can't wait to see when it's finist

Greetings!

Thank you very much! The jukebox was a bit trickier than I was expecting but in the end came out how I imagined. I'm still getting used to using SNOT techniques in builds, not really my forte yet. 

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

Really fantastic start so far, don't keep us waiting too long!

Thank you! I'm hoping to have it done in the next few weeks and will post an update with some better photography.

5 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

The main wall is a real masterpiece! :wub:

I really like the stone lions :thumbup:

Thank you very much! Yeah I love that lion head piece, made it a bit harder to get everything to fit with the arches above it but it all worked out. 

Great looking bar!! The interior details are perfect - the exterior's sweet too!! I like the design of the door way and the way it curves inwards. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the building!! Nice work!!

On 8/3/2017 at 2:33 PM, greg3 said:

Great looking bar!! The interior details are perfect - the exterior's sweet too!! I like the design of the door way and the way it curves inwards. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the building!! Nice work!!

Thank you very much!

46 minutes ago, Palixa And The Bricks said:

I love it, especially the entrance and the interior. I wouldn't change anything, the colours and details are just perfect.

Looking forward to the finished building!

Thank you! Still tinkering away at the inside a little but I should be starting on the 2nd floor this week.

Looking good so far! I very much like the tall windows capped off with the new inset arch piece in black (you beat me to it!) :laugh: I really like the inset door and arches used. Not sure what else you've got planned but it looks like a grand ground floor so I'd guess you're going to make it tall? Cheers!

19 hours ago, Giacinto Consiglio said:

Majestic exterior and welcoming interior, what a cool start! Keep us updated with new photos as the works go on:wink:

Thank you very much and will do! 

1 hour ago, snaillad said:

Looking good so far! I very much like the tall windows capped off with the new inset arch piece in black (you beat me to it!) :laugh: I really like the inset door and arches used. Not sure what else you've got planned but it looks like a grand ground floor so I'd guess you're going to make it tall? Cheers!

Thank you! Yeah I'm really liking the new arch piece, makes the ability to tuck the windows inside a little better than having them sit behind. Hoping for 3 full stories and a short roofline when it's all done.

Man your stuff is just awesome btw, hope I can get there someday, only been at it for about a year so far. 

This is excellent and as others have said the exterior and interior colour combinations are just right. The details inside give it a great bustling atmosphere. Is this based on a real bar? My only possible recommendation is that perhaps the bar-stools should not have a back on them (ie maybe use round 2x2 plates rather than seats)? On this side of the pond barstools would tend to have no back but perhaps they do where you are or perhaps they just look better using the seats.

Can I ask is that mirror pane from a current set?

Edited by Minifig Lecturer

Great start! As others have said a beautiful facade. I do feel like the wall that can be taken out could use a different colour. To liven up the interior a bit. Perhaps dark green?

6 hours ago, Minifig Lecturer said:

This is excellent and as others have said the exterior and interior colour combinations are just right. The details inside give it a great bustling atmosphere. Is this based on a real bar? My only possible recommendation is that perhaps the bar-stools should not have a back on them (ie maybe use round 2x2 plates rather than seats)? On this side of the pond barstools would tend to have no back but perhaps they do where you are or perhaps they just look better using the seats.

Can I ask is that mirror pane from a current set?

Thank you! As far as the barstools I've seen it both ways but maybe I'll try some more variations for traditional backless stools. The mirror is from the Detective's Office but I believe can also be found in Assembly Square. 

4 hours ago, Hobbythom said:

Great start! As others have said a beautiful facade. I do feel like the wall that can be taken out could use a different colour. To liven up the interior a bit. Perhaps dark green?

Thank you very much! Yeah I plan on swapping it for dark tan which will match the picture wall. Should make it feel a bit more bar-like. 

Clever ideas so far. I love the entrance. I have tried to use hinge plates/bricks before, but usually don't look this clean.

On 8/14/2017 at 11:42 AM, madejp86 said:

Wow this looks great so far

Thank you very much!

19 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

Clever ideas so far. I love the entrance. I have tried to use hinge plates/bricks before, but usually don't look this clean.

Thank you, the entrance was definitely a chore to get right but ended up very happy with the result. Hoping to have an update early next week with the finished 2nd floor and 3rd floor exterior. 

52 minutes ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

Hey, I'm designing a sci-fi dive bar and was wondering if you had any tips. Is there a such thing as an "anatomy of a bar"?

I really just tried to mimic a few of the things I've seen in bars I've been to for mine. For a sci-fi bar I really don't know, I just immediately think of the bar from Star Wars. Maybe try Google searching some images of sci-fi bars, I'd bet there's a decent amount of fan-created artwork to give you some ideas. 

The upper two floors blend in pretty well with the ground floor by use of the 'brick' 1x2's. Although I can't help but think it might need some colour in the transition between the top of the lowest floor to the middle one. You've done it effectively by using that dark tan line below the windows to break up the two shades of grey.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing the interiors and also what you come up with for a roof design.

Cheers!

14 minutes ago, snaillad said:

The upper two floors blend in pretty well with the ground floor by use of the 'brick' 1x2's. Although I can't help but think it might need some colour in the transition between the top of the lowest floor to the middle one. You've done it effectively by using that dark tan line below the windows to break up the two shades of grey.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing the interiors and also what you come up with for a roof design.

Cheers!

That is the part I'm struggling with at the moment. One on hand I want it to have that authentic NYC feel to it but on the other hand it definitely needs some color. I'll keep toying with it and see if I can find a good middle ground. Thanks for comments, really appreciate them.