Ron Dayes

4 wide Horizon Express and Co

Hi,

i just saw the 50 years of track set - a neat thing, but probably the best item of it is the 4 wide Metroliner.
Therefore i did wonder if i could do the Horizon Express in the same scale and perhaps motorize it.
So i also started the Metroliner first, thought of ways of making a super small boogie still with functionality for a motor to attach to. ATM its rubberbands around bushes for transaction, yet im very unsure if this were to work in a real build if the boogie turns.
I used gears as wheels for the motor unit (if you look close into the pic).
If any of you have motorized a 4 wide train without using standard sized train wheels, id be thrilled to hear/see about it.

35524420763_ac8489af18.jpg4 wide Horizon Express by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

35524420833_ff16a330e9.jpg4 wide Metroliner by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

That looks to be Genius. What motor are you using? Alternatively, perhaps you could power a tyred wheel, rubbing against the train wheels?

So nice to see some more 4-wide scale.

While I have a powered 4-wide scale TRAXX locomotive I used standard sized wheels. I know 4DBrix showcased some smaller 3D printed wheels, but they weren't suitable for the model because they would lower the height so much it wouldn't be possible to use any coupling bars. You might want to check them out.

I'm not entirely sure how much success you would have using rubber bands, but it would be interesting to see. Maybe you should build one and find out. The alternative would be the Technic-based solution designed by Space2310, although it is rather bulky for the models you've produced.

I'd be interested to see the internal arrangement of parts you've selected, particularly for power and control. I'm guessing that the grey panels are the sides of the standard LEGO battery box.

Love these

Rubber bands function sometimes better than gears in my 4 wide version of the Lego Land Train (set 4000014) espescially in the curves.

Hope to see these IRB

Could you show us the transmission?