Jim

[REVIEW] 42068 - Airport Rescue Vehicle

42068 - Airport Rescue Vehicle - Rating  

100 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

Do you have any idea why the steering system is like this? Why is it not gear-rack based?

Perhaps it is a question of prize - gears and gear racks are more expensive than liftarms and another (possible) reason is that steering with gears have more slack :look:

Nice review again, Jim. Its a decent set for someone coming back into technic or a beginner set. If i did not already have enough red panels I would buy it.

H

13 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Do you have any idea why the steering system is like this? Why is it not gear-rack based?

There are many advantages of linkage over gear-racks:

More interesting to build, less slack, and does not require extra alignment when two or more axles have steering (As you must do in 42009) So in the end, could be easier to follow the steps/instructions

Edited by Jonfensu

really appreciate all these reviews and the effort that goes into them.

I may get this solely for the B model, it looks great. there must be a sea plane airport somewhere huh...

thanks for focusing on the steering linkage too as that may help me in what I'm currently doing (trying).

5 hours ago, Jonfensu said:

and does not require extra alignment when two or more axles have steering (As you must do in 42009) So in the end, could be easier to follow the steps/instructions

This sounds like the most plausible explanation :thumbup:

Nice review, Jim!

Still this set is not doing anything to me. I'm missing the play features. But then again it's an airport fire engine. What could I have expected?
Like others have already pointed out, it could be an (overpriced) parts package. If just I was missing the parts... :wink:

I used to collect fire engines in HO scale 1:87 so fire engines are on my interest line. Not this one for this price.

Did you build the B-model yet? It really Looks like a great alternative to the A model. Here the designers did a fantastic Job. :thumbup: 

I just don't like it. The parts aren't great. Red in technic just doesn't work for me. I just don't think those two things go together. I'm also a huge fan of power functions and I know it's "Upgradable" but the initial set being "Power Functionsless" is kind of a let down. As far as the whole airport rescue thing, it's not ment for Lego. They tried it in 2003, not a great plan.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/lego/images/d/de/8454_Rescue_Truck.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090917230456

Now, take a look at this baby. While really big and probably a 5K+ part count, this guy made the whole "Technic airport firetruck" work. This is a cool moc, also, it sprays water:)

16587972674_d18a412d05_z.jpgLego Technic Airport Crash Tender by Lucio Switch, on Flickr

Just now, MovieMocs said:

Now, take a look at this baby. While really big and probably a 5K+ part count, this guy made the whole "Technic airport firetruck" work. This is a cool moc, also, it sprays water:)

I already mentioned (and linked) that one in my introduction :tongue:

Just now, Jim said:

I already mentioned (and linked) that one in my introduction :tongue:

oops :\ Missed that :)

I don't understand why firetrucks aren't explored more in Technic. Some firetruck has a two-section or telescopic arm for personnel lift, not to mention some mechanism to keep the basket level. I mean, if properly executed a firetruck can be as Technic-ish as any other crane truck.

Very nice review of an outstanding AES (Airport Emergency Services) set. :wub: 

This is one of the LEGO Technic sets which simply caught my eye and I am pretty fond of the overall built and design. Well, this fire engine/ foam tender is certainly ready to take on CAT 10 runway/aircraft. :sweet: 

great review, Jim :classic:

at first i thought this was a MOC or a Lego technic set of it's darker days, somewhere in the 90's... I'm pretty sure there was a set like this back then. So far I haven't been impressed by the 2017 technic sets. It seems i won't be buying lego technic this year :sick:

After big LEGO technic sets I find these type of sets very easy..I started with Ferrari F40 after that immediately bought 42056 and 42054 and I thought woaww that's it..

By the way...

I know this is not a right place but I ask anyway..sorry guys..:(

How can I get old lego sets with reasonable prices for example 42009 from 2013..

I check some websites still selling but I saw crazy prices..:( 

19 minutes ago, Spooky said:

get old lego sets with reasonable prices for example 42009

I bought mine used on ebay. While i'd love to have only new sets i simply can't afford it otherwise :classic:

11 hours ago, schraubedrin said:

I bought mine used on ebay. While i'd love to have only new sets i simply can't afford it otherwise :classic:

used ??? you mean opened box before and someone already used ,  played ..

4 minutes ago, Spooky said:

opened box before and someone already used ,  played ..

exactly. And until now every model was already built :sceptic:

On 8/3/2017 at 4:46 AM, Jim said:

That would be my best guess too. "Do something different"

I'm actually OK with this answer as someone who's built a lot of rack and pinion.  While realistic, rack and pinion isn't very interesting mechanically.  There are a lot of gear systems in Technic, but relatively few mechanical linkages.  I'd like to see more of them because they are really useful and therefore a great thing to learn.

On 8/9/2017 at 11:53 PM, Richard Dower said:

8295 was a disaster when implementing this design.

I agree but every start is a bumpy ride, so LEGO made a good job with 42061 set, and this set; 42068 has interesting steering solution

I drove past a fire truck today, and saw the rims were painted black and white just like on this model. I have never thought about that before, why are the rims painted like that? I tried to Googled it but found nothing...

44 minutes ago, HallBricks said:

I drove past a fire truck today, and saw the rims were painted black and white just like on this model. I have never thought about that before, why are the rims painted like that? I tried to Googled it but found nothing...

Wheels are painted that way because when firetruck is at accident site it is very important that anyone can see that truck is standing still or rolling (which is not desired because of safety reasons).

49 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Wheels are painted that way because when firetruck is at accident site it is very important that anyone can see that truck is standing still or rolling (which is not desired because of safety reasons).

Thank you. That makes sense