[REVIEW] 42068 - Airport Rescue Vehicle

42068 - Airport Rescue Vehicle - Rating  

100 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

15624317003_e8eb01e330.jpg

REVIEW - 42068 - AIRPORT RESCUE VEHICLE

35932522760_2c420c0b42_b.jpg

INTRODUCTION

For my final review (of the 2H 2017 sets) we will be looking at the 42068 - Airport Rescue Vehicle. This set is the cheapest of the three new sets. It was supposed to be released in 2016, but TLG decided to postpone it to 2017. It's not entirely clear why, but it's probably due to the amazing line-up of 2016. Adding this set would have resulted in too much sets in the line-up and the sales figures for this set would probably have been affected too much. Or the development manpower is desperately needed for special 2018 projects :laugh: Either way, TLG decided to add the 40 Year Anniversary brick, two pins and push it to 2017.

In 2015 we got the 42040 - Fire Plane, but it has been a while since TLG released a fire truck. If my memory serves me right, that was the 8289 - Fire Truck from 2006. A lot of Technic fans were hoping to get something along the line of the Airport Crash Tender built by Lucio Switch, but I'm afraid we need to settle for something less extraordinary.

This set probably won't generate as much "Oooohhh's and Aahhhhh's" as the two other 2H half sets, but as with many medium sized sets, this set might suprise you during the build. Let's see if that is indeed the case.

PICTURES
Pictures can be clicked to view hi-res versions. More pictures can be found in my Flickr album.

DISCLAIMER
This set has been provided by the CEE Team of TLG. It's not my goal to promote this set. It's my goal to give you an honest opinion about it. Therefore the opinion in this review is my own and is in no way linked to TLG.

SET INFORMATION

Number: 42068 
Title: Airport Rescue Vehicle 
Theme: Technic
Released: 2017
Part Count: 1094
Box Weight: 1,6 kg (approx)
Box Dimensions: 47,8 cm x 28,0 cm x 8,9 cm
Set Price (MSRP): € 89,99
Price per Part: € 0,082 
Price per kg: € 56,2 
Links: BricksetBricklink

THE BOX

The box isn't that big, but it surprisingly packs over 1000 parts.

35790025591_90a02e7fba_b.jpg

BACKSIDE
The top half shows the vehicle with a summary of the different functions.  The bottom half shows the B-model, which is a Fire Rescue Vehicle.

35790025771_a2e9fa9bf2_b.jpg

CONTENTS OF THE BOX

This set contains:

• 1 Book
  • 1 Sticker sheet
  • 6 Tires
  • 11 Unnumbered bags

BOOK
Unlike the other two 2H sets, this set doesn't have a sealed book.

35865023150_c4f0173756.jpg 

STICKER SHEET
It would be great if TLG inserted the sticker sheet into the instruction manual, to prevent it from being damaged.

36217006926_48c3f79224.jpg

TIRES
Six tires are provided separately. These balloon tires are quite common in Technic, and other themes as well. They do appear once or twice every year.

35112760073_501ea27eca.jpg

BAGS
As the other 2H sets, this set doesn't have numbered bags either.

35921772905_6f242262eb_m.jpg 35533484990_e049924dec_m.jpg 35112760263_4023826997_m.jpg 35082331864_1ea0bce0a2_m.jpg

35082332254_7fbdcc59df_m.jpg 35112760593_bb62e15b9d_m.jpg 35533485160_f17ac7f344_m.jpg 35112759343_670614955d_m.jpg

35112761093_b3454492ff_m.jpg 35533485220_02df2904a4_m.jpg 35082332614_0253d94064_m.jpg

HIGHLIGHTED PARTS

This set doesn't really pack a lot of interesting parts. It does pack a big failure though.

MELTED SOFT AXLE
This is the first time I have received a faulty part in a Technic set. I once had a damaged headlight in a modular building, but never did I miss any parts, nor did I receive a faulty part in a Technic set. As you can see in the image below, one of the ends of the soft axle has melted when sealing the edge of the bag. The 12L soft axle isn't rare, but it isn't very common either. Lucky for me that I owned a replacement in my own collection. I can imagine that the average parent and/or kid would have been very disappointed. Luckily, TLG has a fantastic customer service, but you still need to wait for your replacement part to arrive.

35426902234_e10f8eaca8.jpg  36124315191_50f32874e5.jpg

UTENSILS
A nice collection of minifig utensils. They are provided in a separate smaller bag, instead of on a wheel, like we have seen before.

35425415534_e3fa0c15c6.jpg 35864874970_1649c784da.jpg

PART LIST

A single page to display the 1094 parts.

35533485320_f4c53da485_b.jpg

THE BUILD

The build starts with building the rear axle. The rear of the chassis packs two axles, but only the rear one implements a steering mechanism.

35425415614_1dd975a07f_b.jpg

The other rear axle uses a differential. No color coding this time, since it only uses a single differential and doesn't implement a 6x6 drive train.

35425415454_c75d2f9941_b.jpg

Here you can see how the steering mechanism is implemented. By turning the axle at the rear, the rotational movement is converted into longitudinal movement by using links. Since the rear liftarm has a different length than the front one, the rear wheel doesn't steer as much as the front wheel. This clearly visible in the image.

35864875230_92daf1a83d_b.jpg

The maximum turn to the left.

36124315331_bf3f86f9ca_b.jpg

Here's a video demonstrating the steering mechanism:

At this point it does seem like a rather strange build, with different subassemblies loosely connected.  At the top left of the picture you see the gear box, which is used to switch between two functions.

35864875520_a6a9513b19_b.jpg

Here you can see a video demonstrating the early stages of the functions:

After some additional steps, both sides are nicely reinforced with liftarms, resulting in a rigid structure. The sticker near the gearbox lever shows the two functions. By the looks of it, you can choose to rotate or raise/lower the fire extinguisher arm. The rear of the vehicle also packs a 4 cylinder flat engine.

35425415694_a1d80992d5_b.jpg

The arm is raised and lowered using a worm wheel. The rear shows the HoG (Hand of God) steering axle, the gearbox lever and the 12T bevel gear to manually operate the functions.

35864875750_d06984588b_b.jpg

The rear bodywork is made as subassembly, which can easily be attached to the chassis.

35864876550_09d4b3ae49_b.jpg

The bodywork is attached at 8 points of the vehicle. It can easily be removed, although at the rear you will need to push out the 2L axles.

35425415944_5d52648568_b.jpg

The cabin works well on this vehicle. Of course, the chairs are the common blue panels we have seen a million times. The rear view mirrors are nice and the nozzle at the front is a cool detail. Some of the pictures show the front nozzle incorrectly positioned. Thanks to @barman for pointing it out. At first I thought it was a building mistake, but that wasn't the case. Simply a matter of turning the nozzle upside down...or upside down.

DISCLAIMER
The following pictures show the 40 Year Anniversary brick on top of the vehicle at the rear of the cabin. This is not the official position for it. When you follow the instructions, it's placed underneath the chassis of the vehicle. I do like a more prominent place for the brick. 

35899278500_282620963d_b.jpg

The correct position for the nozzle, when it's not used. 

36328921185_8fb86942ab_b.jpg

The first thing that comes to mind is that the crane looks flimsy, but you tend to forget it's not an actual crane. Unless you count lifting the fire hose that is. It's called the extinguishing arm, which makes sense.

35921198100_9bb24763a7_b.jpg

The cabin and arm conclude the build of the vehicle.

35899277170_0780dcaa3c_b.jpg

COMPLETED MODEL

The completed model is clearly recognisable as a fire truck. That's not very hard, given the color scheme and signal lights etc. Even though it's nothing really extraordinary, I do like the design.

36252726536_078bca443b_b.jpg

Some people will immediately see it's a fire truck used at an airport. Here you can see a real life counterpart.

36316561575_3e5c201423_b.jpg

The three compartments on the side aren't linked together, so they can be opened separately.

35899278220_5b31d75ab6_b.jpg

The first compartment contains a toolbox with utensils (tools), which can be removed from the vehicle. This not only offers some playability, but it also allows a battery box to be inserted if you like to motorise this vehicle. The middle compartment already is prepared for attaching a PF motor. A clutch gear is not included.

36252726436_3fa9cf00cb_b.jpg

The side of the vehicle with all the panels closed.

35899277860_a1d63bd79e_b.jpg

The rear of the vehicle shows the 12T bevel gear, which is used to operate the manual functions, lifting/lowering and rotating the arm.

36252726346_f126082bda_b.jpg

A comparison between the front and rear view of the vehicle.

36252726256_6f4a8cda1d.jpg 36252726086_8a5b02ce66.jpg

The bottom view to show the chassis in more detail. Here you can see where the 40 Year Anniversary brick actually should be placed.

35932522900_1fb96caa05_b.jpg

The final main picture with the front nozzle positioned correctly.

35932522760_2c420c0b42_b.jpg

FEATURES AND FUNCTIONS

This set doesn't contain as much functions as the other two 2H sets, but that's only logical. 

STEERING
The vehicle has four (of six) wheel steering, where the rear wheels steer less than the front wheels.

EXTINGUISHING ARM
The top of the vehicle packs an extinguishing arm which has the fire hose attached. The arm can be raised, lowered and rotated using the 12T bevel gear at the back of the vehicle. 

FRONT NOZZLE
The front of the vehicle has an additional nozzle which can be rotated manually.

COMPARTMENTS
Each side of the vehicle has three compartments, which can be opened manually.

TOOLBOX
The front compartment contains a removable toolbox with lots of tools.

Here's a video demonstrating the functions:

B-MODEL

The B-model is a Fire Rescue Vehicle. It looks like a nice model to build. A truck with a fully functional crane and a trailer packing a small boat.

SUMMARY

This is a decent set. No more, no less. It doesn't have many interesting parts, nor does it have very unique features. The steering mechanism is done nicely and you can properly operate the extinguishing arm, although the nozzle needs to be operated manually. The front nozzle also needs to be operated manually. The gearbox to switch between raising/lowering the arm and rotating the arm is very simple, but works like a charm. It's a nice introduction to a simple gearbox. Since all kids love fire trucks, this would make a very nice birthday present. A medium sized set with enough functions and playability to be enjoyed by a kid and with an affordable price to be enjoyed by the one who will be buying it.

SCORE

How do I rate this set?

7 DESIGN
15624316853_d44ef20b33_m.jpg
Looks okay, nothing spectacular. 

7 BUILDING EXPERIENCE
Cool steering mechanism and extinguisher arm.

7 FEATURES
Simple manual features and a single gearbox. 

7 PLAYABILITY
Enough playability to keep a kid busy for a while.

7 PARTS
Only common parts, unless you are into red panels.

7 VALUE FOR MONEY
16244195165_2b8d3e102f_m.jpg 
Price is okay for what you get.

7,0 IT IS WHAT IT IS

Thanks you for reading this review. All pictures can be found here.

Actually the top nozzle needs to be "folded" under the arm when it's not used. Like this:

42068-1.jpg 

Quite dissapointed with this set , was excited about it when it initially was 42051, but it seems to be unnecesarily over-engineered and looks unfinished. I certainly would've liked to see a rack-and-pinion instead of those linkages, a pair more panels to cover the roof, and something better on that arm. The insides look like if someone was randomly taking parts from his collection without looking at colors , would be better with a more organized scheme. And sorry , those blue paels as seats are't growing on me , a 3x5 liftarm MOD is a must. Something that also bothers me is that you have to buy the 8293 instead of them including them by default like in 8052. This set would benefit from some technic firefighter figs , having i mind the tools included.  On the positive side , seems like a not bad parts pack , 6 frames, differential, 6 wheels, red panels, a pair of red flex axles... and a silver ribbed hoses :laugh:

Thanks for the extensive review Jim , are the worm gears of the newer mold type ?

Edited by Xewyz2001

Hmm. Whilst a good set with nice functions and a less-common theme for technic, I feel it's a bit too colourful on its roof and arm. Viewed from a lower angle looks better, but there are still a few too many gaps for my preference on a model that uses a lot of panels elsewhere. The angles around the front cab nose section do look great though.

40 minutes ago, Jim said:

sales figures for this set would probably have been effected too much.

I think (and so does google) that this should be affected, not effected. Nit-picking as usual, an otherwise excellent review as usual!

4 minutes ago, ColletArrow said:

I think (and so does google) that this should be affected, not effected. Nit-picking as usual, an otherwise excellent review as usual!

This is not nitpicking, since it means a totally different thing. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I will never make this mistake again for the rest of my life :sweet:

6 minutes ago, Xewyz2001 said:

Thanks for the extensive review Jim , are the worm gears of the newer mold type ?

These are not the 1L wormgears. If that's not what you mean, I am not aware of a new mold. Looks just like the plain old worm wheel. You can see it in the part list.

I think its a nice set, simple in looks , it can have PF added, but after getting the extreme adventure set yesterday I think set 42069 is the better H2 lego technic set, which is odd, as at first the fire truck was the one I liked the most, until now.

8 minutes ago, LvdH said:

I believe someone posted in the General Part Discussion topic that it got a slightly different mold. 

Ahh okay, I wasn't aware of that, so I didn't pay too much attention. I need to take a closer look.

Thanks again for your review. These are helpful as I try to make my limited Lego budget go as far as it can each year.

12 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Little bit off topic but here it is :grin: 

It's perfectly on topic if you ask me :thumbup:

@Jim I'm afraid that the "two other 2H sets that generate Oooooh and Ahhhh" isn't a plural noun. :tongue::laugh::grin:

Edited by nguyengiangoc

Lol...fair enough :tongue: :laugh:

Nice and fair review, Jim! I think this set is not very interesting for experienced builders, but excellent for kids or beginners. 

Looking at the instructions, the B-model actually seems very nice and probably even more functional than the A-model.

I'm actually glad Lego released a more mundane technic set this year after last year's onslaught of awesome and expensive sets.  I can just focus on the off roader extreme adventure and possibly the tow truck if it goes on a deep sale.  Like others have said though, looks like a good parts pack if you can get it for around $70 or less.

Edited by TheRacker

Very nice review @Jim, simple and nice mid size set. Actually B model looks real nice. Just one small thing - I think there is 12 tooth double bevel gear at the rear :wink:

Thanks for the nice review Jim! I'm still jealous every time I look at your fantastic photos, those colors really pop :blush:

Regarding the set I share your view, AFOLs are not the primary target for it, but it's a great and appealing set for kids who want to build something bigger after the Technic pullbacks :)

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Very nice review @Jim, simple and nice mid size set. Actually B model looks real nice. Just one small thing - I think there is 12 tooth double bevel gear at the rear :wink:

Hmmm did I say 16T? I always tend to mix them up. Or do you mean double bevel instead of just bevel?

Nice review. I will be skipping this set for the time being, the 42069 is the best of them, and the one I will buy.

I do like the steering system, though it takes up a massive amount of space...

9 hours ago, Jim said:

Hmmm did I say 16T? I always tend to mix them up. Or do you mean double bevel instead of just bevel?

When you were describing rear part for extinguishing arm raising/lowering

5 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

When you were describing rear part for extinguishing arm raising/lowering

Corrected, thanks. 

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Corrected, thanks. 

You're wellcome :thumbup:

@Erik Leppen My guess is that the gear rack has been done so many times that linkages make it a much more interesting set.  Many recent sets have linkage steering - 42030, 42043, 42054, 42061 - and they are often one of the most discussed features of those sets.

Just now, BusterHaus said:

@Erik Leppen My guess is that the gear rack has been done so many times that linkages make it a much more interesting set.  Many recent sets have linkage steering - 42030, 42043, 42054, 42061 - and they are often one of the most discussed features of those sets.

That would be my best guess too. "Do something different"

Doing something different for sake of different is nothing I appreciate. The linkage steering is usually much more sloppy than rack and pinion and I would say that young builders would understand rack solution better. Give a kid example of linkage system and rack and let him build his own creeation - my bet is the one with rack will get working steering.