kbalage

[MOD] 42069 Extreme Adventure RC variations - PF+Sbrick/Buggy+BuWizz/Wheels

Updating the first post to have all three RC mods in one place.

1st version - Power Functions motors & SBrick control

This is a quick and dirty upgrade, it started as a test to see if 2 or 4 L motors can drive the set properly, but things escalated quickly :) The aim was to add the PF components without taking apart the set completely or to change original structure, so obviously there are more elegant ways to hide all the motors and to upgrade the suspension and the drive train. The list of the added elements:

4 PF L motors (drive)
1 PF Servo motor (steering)
3 PF M motors (functions)
1 PF switch
2 8878 Battery boxes
4 PF lights
2 SBricks

The 4 L motors can drive the car, but it has no extraordinary performance due to the added weight. The servo motor is struggling sometimes (especially when the car is not moving), it'd need another servo motor or some other solution for the steering to work smoothly. 

2nd version - pickup-style body, 4 buggy motors, 2 BuWizz units

After the first attempt I wanted to build something faster, so I had to reduce weight and add more power :) The back part of the truck was removed, I removed also a lot of non vital elements (like the fake V8). 4 Buggy motors were added and they were powered by 2 BuWizz units. The results was pretty fast considering the tracks and could handle the obstacles well.

3rd version - tracks removed, wheels added, pickup-style body, 4 buggy motors, 2 BuWizz units

This is my third and last Lego 42069 Extreme Adventure remote control mod. After the previous version I did not plan to create another one but I was convinced by some comments on my YouTube channel (thanks for the tip!). Although I really liked 42069 on tracks, I realized that the top speed was limited by the construction so the 4 buggy motors could not show their full potential. I removed the tracks and added the wheels from the 9398 Crawler set.
The pickup-style body was kept from the previous mod to ensure the car is as light as possible. The axles were rebuilt completely to fit the buggy motors and the wheels.

The car is driven by 4 buggy motors and there's a PF Servo for steering. It is controlled and powered by 2 BuWizz units. It became surprisingly fast, I was curious so I added a small GPS tracker to measure the top speed - you can check the result in the video :)

Edited by kbalage
updated with all versions

Wow, great job! I'm surprised how well it manages obstacles with the tracks. A mobility comparison with wheels would be interesting. :thumbup:

Wow! A lot of functions even it's not a big model. Thanks for sharing your creation!

Great job! You hidden the motors so well. Only that I only have 3L motors (I'm ashamed) and 1 Sbrick (also ashamed). Im waiting to get this set on stores so might do it when I receive it.

I'll add my Wow! As well. Lots of function in such a small package. I am surprised how well the model held up on all the shaking on the garden rocks.

Andy D

As far as I can tell after looking at my 42069, adding PF XL motor for drive would be even easier. All that is needed is to remove the fake V8 and place the motor on its place.

Nice solution! You need a closer look to see some of the power functions. I will do the same to for winter.

Probably you don't need every function. For a great playability i would prefer drive + sterring and control the winch.

Thanks everyone! @Paknaloid to be honest I wanted to motorize the doors as well, but I had to realize that my 2 SBricks only have 8 channels altogether, and I already had to combine the two front L motors and only had one switch to change the direction.

Hi,

do I still have other bricks to finish this RC project or do I need only the listed parts?

Are all already existing parts of the set sufficient?

The list of the added elements:

4 PF L motors (drive)
1 PF Servo motor (steering)
3 PF M motors (functions)
1 PF switch
2 8878 Battery boxes
4 PF lights
2 SBricks

GreetZ

Joachim from, Germany

@Joey73 these are only the PF components and the SBricks, you'll need some extra elements as you'll need to rebuild the axles with the L motors, and some gears and stuff needed to fit and connect the M motors. I don't say it's not possible only with the parts from the set, you can give it a try :)

@Joey73 I replied to your pm.

@BrickbyBrickTechnic I'm not planning to do instructions as it was an ad-hoc modification, my aim was to install the motors by simply removing and replacing the manual components and without the need of taking the model apart. I will disassemble the model in a couple of weeks as I'm planning another mod, I can take some more photos of the internals if it helps.

1 hour ago, Joey73 said:

Push ;-)

Hello Joey. Please do not make replies like this, and bumping the topic. Posts should be more constructive. Thanks.