This is a fully functional electric guitar. Unlike some other ones that can be found on Youtube, the whole body and neck are 100% Lego (only the pickup and string are not). Despite my best efforts, its rigidity is somewhat lacking - as a result, the tone changes quite a bit depending on how it is held. Not to mention I can't play guitar...

I have decided to use one string, because:

-easier to play

-less tuning

-the body cannot really take much more tension

The pickup is connected straight to the computer by audio jack. There, the software (Guitar rig 5) acts as an amplifier.

This project needs more love from everyone. It's very well done. :thumbup: The string on the back is a very clever way of balancing the tension of the front string. Does applying pressure on the back string change the notre being played? 

This is really cool. I assume you use a piezo pickup to avoid having to put on metal strings? Anyway. Its a fun idea and it definitely works! :classic:

Thanks for feedback! :classic:

I use electromagnetic pickup and a metal string. However, a piezo pickup is a great idea, I'll definitely try that!

Changing pressure on the back string significantly affects the tone. Now, the string on the back is tied to the same tuning key as the front one - the tension is changed on both sides at the same time, keeping forces balanced. This is important because even a small bend on the neck significantly changes the distance from the string to the neck  surface. I'm thinking about adding a vibrato lever to change the tension of the back string :devil:.

Thanks guys!!

BTW are there any tehniques to make a stiffer guitar neck, or generally strong technic beam? I have 4x8 plates near the body and then 2x8 plates and 1x8 plates sandwiched between technic bricks, with ocasional 2x3 plate to connect them, making some sort of a H-beam (see image). What could I do, apart from using longer plates and bricks? 

neck.PNG

Edited by Davidz90
Added image

On 8.08.2017 at 0:05 AM, kieran said:

Lots of old black friction pins may help

Thanks, that worked quite well! After some stiffening (and running out of black pins :D), I could actually tune it better and try something more difficult. This is the result:

I showed your latest video a couple of friends and they love it! :classic: Now I wonder if 2 strings would be possible as well... :wink:

I have arleady tried 3 but failed. Technically, its possible, although the tuning keys took pretty considerable space. The problem is that due to insufficient rigidity of the guitar the tone wanders a lot. With one string that is not an issue - the whole song just sort of "flows". With multiple strings, they quickly become detuned from each other and the sound is quite awful.

Anyways, I'm definitely planning to try 2 strings in the future... and learning to play it :D

1 hour ago, Davidz90 said:

I have arleady tried 3 but failed. Technically, its possible, although the tuning keys took pretty considerable space. The problem is that due to insufficient rigidity of the guitar the tone wanders a lot. With one string that is not an issue - the whole song just sort of "flows". With multiple strings, they quickly become detuned from each other and the sound is quite awful.

Anyways, I'm definitely planning to try 2 strings in the future... and learning to play it :D

Ah yes, of course. It gives quite a lot thanks to the pull of the strings. And two of them is a significant load on the neck...

I hope it's okay to revive an old topic, but I have updated the guitar. Neck is now slightly thicker and stronger, electric components are actually soldered and shielded, which results in way less noise. Still needs some fine tuning.

Yen another update - now the guitar has a proper fretboard. The downside is, apparently I'm even worse at playing this than a fretless one XD I will try to find someone who actually knows what he is doing to really test how much can be done with this design.

1 hour ago, aFrInaTi0n said:

Haha, super nice project! Kudos for the working guitars!

Thanks!

Another big update. Now the guitar has 2 strings! The key was to use piezoelectric pickup that can detect vibrations of nylon strings instead of steel ones. That greatly reduced the tension and also prevented bricks from getting damaged (steel strings were burrowing themselves into the bridge).

Overall, it looks like this:

52940250479_28648e477e_c.jpgover1 by David_Z1, on Flickr

The piezo pickup is a little, handy device, normally attached to an acoustic guitar. Since I have no resonant chamber, instead it sits just below the bridge to get a strong signal. 

52939507287_331a0f17e0_c.jpgpiezo by David_Z1, on Flickr

To save space, tuning keys are on the back. This results in a very slim overall profile.

52940562718_700cc29337_c.jpgkeys2 by David_Z1, on Flickr

There is a reinfoircing string on the back that acts as a truss rod. Its tension is regulated, so that neck angle can be slightly corrected.

52940494925_ce95019f7d_c.jpgtension2 by David_Z1, on Flickr

To get proper fret positions, I have written a computer program that found optimal guitar lengths, so that frets coincide with plates as much as possible. Black lines are ideal fret positions.

52940495500_b05124c451_c.jpgLego_Frets by David_Z1, on Flickr

Finally, a video:

Ashbury made a bass with rubber strings. They might suit the aesthetic and tension needed for that. Great project though!

Thanks! I didn't know that rubber strings are a thing outside some toys. Yes, that could work well with Lego.

is that with the piezoelectric pickup enabled? i liked the other more tbh. buf great effort nonetheless.