Sign in to follow this  
andrepinto

[MOC] 29 PETERBILT 352 86 CABOVER

After a make the 352 110 cabover i have to make the 352 86 with original paint scheme, and i will do the 352 54.
this one have was reference the international transport inc from Minnesota, all the trucks are yellow and green

35080183136_9b2c5b8afd_z.jpgPETERBILT 352 86 CABOVER by André Pinto, on Flickr

35119816835_5292bdb2af_z.jpgPETERBILT 352 86 CABOVER by André Pinto, on Flickr

35119814945_29b031a4fd_z.jpgPETERBILT 352 86 CABOVER by André Pinto, on Flickr

35119812735_d198916ff8_z.jpgPETERBILT 352 86 CABOVER by André Pinto, on Flickr

35125788854_1654cc74a3_z.jpgPETERBILT 352 86 CABOVER by André Pinto, on Flickr

35832591971_a8645d3171_z.jpgPETERBILT 352 86 CABOVER by André Pinto, on Flickr

35080183816_b5a584a44f_z.jpgPETERBILT 352 86 CABOVER by André Pinto, on Flickr

35119817885_092f746703_z.jpgPETERBILT 352 86 CABOVER by André Pinto, on Flickr

35080184456_0114bb603f_z.jpgPETERBILT 352 86 CABOVER by André Pinto, on Flickr

35155129303_48c14ec1a0_z.jpgPETERBILT 352 86 CABOVER by André Pinto, on Flickr

They are two nice trucks. I do think the cabin is too high. This is a 1:16 scale. The Lego wheel diameter is 62.4 mm. An avarage truck wheel is about 1000 mm (24.5 inch rims on steering axle plus avarage tire), that makes 1:16.

Having a height of around 11 feet (ex stacks), will give you a max. height of around 20-21 cm. I think your height is a bit more.

Edited by Bricksonwheels

1 hour ago, Bricksonwheels said:

They are two nice trucks. I do think the cabin is too high. This is a 1:16 scale. The Lego wheel diameter is 62.4 mm. An avarage truck wheel is about 1000 mm (24.5 inch rims on steering axle plus avarage tire), that makes 1:16.

Having a height of around 11 feet (ex stacks), will give you a max. height of around 20-21 cm. I think your height is a bit more.

Hello and thx

this model have 22cm, but you know better them me, some times we have to chose and is not possible to be everything scale, in this case to have all the interior, open doors, the curve in the Back and more was to be like this

if the Doors dosent open I can get 21cm

thx

On 8/2/2017 at 9:02 PM, Bricksonwheels said:

Yust one comment, usual truck tires on 22.5" wheels are tires like very common 315/80R22.5 on european trucks (Arocs, Econic, DAF XF...)  1100mm overall diameter and U. S. trucks usually have 12.5R24.5 which are about 1150mm overall diameter. Please read Michelin or Continental truck tires brochures as example and you'll see that U.S. trucks in order to be represented by 62.4 Tire should be made in 1:17.5 or 1:18 scale. For 1:16 they should have smaller tires... Even new Kenworth K200 (successor of famous K100) has some 115cm tires...I can tell something about that relation LEGO tires to real tires due to years long calculations for my models. Even  my last finished moc; Unimog U423 had some 6-7 month delay because of correct tire dimensions and proportions

...no hard feelings but please use mentioned brochures and recalculate. Since all trucks are (more or less) some 2500mm wide (chassis) they should be some 18 studs wide as mocs :wink:

When looking those cabovers blue and white is my favorite :wub:

Edited by I_Igor

I have use brochures e técnical draw, this is the closer possible to do with lego.

this is my best, a have only have star doing this one year a go

thx

24 minutes ago, andrepinto said:

I have use brochures e técnical draw, this is the closer possible to do with lego.

this is my best, a have only have star doing this one year a go

thx

Andre this is the only right way to make proper moc of real thing but starting point is tire :thumbup:

Edited by I_Igor

My friend the dimension of tire is ok, the only thing out of proporcion is

half stud wide and one stud tall, i have to do this to have all the details.

thx

8 hours ago, andrepinto said:

My friend the dimension of tire is ok, the only thing out of proporcion is

half stud wide and one stud tall, i have to do this to have all the details.

thx

You'll make it , I know it :wink:

13 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Yust one comment, usual truck tires on 22.5" wheels are tires like very common 315/80R22.5 on european trucks (Arocs, Econic, DAF XF...)  1100mm overall diameter and U. S. trucks usually have 12.5R24.5 which are about 1150mm overall diameter. Please read Michelin or Continental truck tires brochures as example and you'll see that U.S. trucks in order to be represented by 62.4 Tire should be made in 1:17.5 or 1:18 scale. For 1:16 they should have smaller tires... Even new Kenworth K200 (successor of famous K100) has some 115cm tires...I can tell something about that relation LEGO tires to real tires due to years long calculations for my models. Even  my last finished moc; Unimog U423 had some 6-7 month delay because of correct tire dimensions and proportions

...no hard feelings but please use mentioned brochures and recalculate. Since all trucks are (more or less) some 2500mm wide (chassis) they should be some 18 studs wide as mocs :wink:

Don't ever say scale builders don't do their math :classic: This discussion is already very very old and us scalebuilders have already put a lot of research in this. Actually we have joked a lot about this during meetings.

to your comments:

12.5R24.5 is by far not a common truckttire in the USA. Secondly, you refer to the Kenworth K200, but this one is built in Australia for Australian market and not a typical refference for USA trucks. Nonetheless, I checked and it commonly runs on 295/80R22.5 Bridgestone tyres which are 1058 mm for long haul, normal duty (see picture) .

DEF_Tank.jpg

In the USA tyres for class 8 trucks have long been around 11R24.5 as a standard. Nowadays they move more towards smaller wheels for long haul. The Peterbilts I built very often run on slightly smaller than 11R24.5 wheels, in fact many USA trucks do, especially on regular long haul. Here is for example a common type Peterbilt 389 running on smaller 75R24.5 ones: http://www.truckmarket.org/trucks/?vid=6552

The ones I have built were all on 22.5's. Depending on the profile height of course it gives a different diameter but the trucks I build have been around 40,3 inch to 41.3 inch. The last ones all had 295/75R22.5, which gives around 1:16 with a 62.4.

Some refference table attached.

Bridgestone.jpg

@Bricksonwheels I understand what you're trying to say, but like you made one photo, I can do number of them every day on way to work and home to support tire dimensions that I've written about.

Australian built Kenworth K200 was mentioned example (friend of my father was wisiting us from Australia two weeks ago and they have about 115tire; trucks that drive only on road use 24.5 tires and 22.5 is used on nonasphalt roads because they have bigger profile - he works for a truck dealer).

Every european truck that I see every day has tires that I mention. I agrree with you that newer U.S. truck tend to smaller tires (they got a little bir better acceleration and tire dealers here ib Croatia say they are cheaper) and about that I completely agree, but Peterbilt 352 is older model and in 1991 I was studying English language in California and saw number of "pimped" trucks with 12R24.5, (ordinary tire was 11R24.5 but they were not chromed ones ) used on chromed wheels. But for even older model Kenworth bullnose you can use your idea of scaling with 62.4 Tires; it had smaller tire. 

If you use Bridgestone tire 295/80R22.5 as some kind of reference and have 62.4 tire for representation you got 1:17 scale (1058 / 62.4 ~ 17). Math can be cruel sometimes :wacko:

Of course we can joke about everything so even about this. :wink:

BTW how did you do with your bikes? Did you base them on tire or chassis dimensions?

Edited by I_Igor

I_Igor where can i see your work?  just to check the math

I have blueprints and i´m a architect, i understand scales

lol

Edited by andrepinto

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

f you use Bridgestone tire 295/80R22.5 as some kind of reference and have 62.4 tire for representation you got 1:17 scale (1058 / 62.4 ~ 17). Math can be cruel sometimes :wacko:

But thats not what I said. I was talking about my truck as a refference: 

2 hours ago, Bricksonwheels said:

The last ones all had 295/75R22.5, which gives around 1:16 with a 62.4.

And 1023 / 62.4 ~ 16.

Pinto.. I want to buy a house from you, its always bigger than what you pay for :-) 

In the end the truth is somewhere bewteen 1/16 and 1/17. My feeling would say 1/16 for typical lopro long haul, and 17 for heavier duty.

@Bricksonwheels I was writting generally, I do not have right to say anything bad or criticism about your work and even if my work would be better I have right only to give some suggestion and what I wrotte was only a suggestion based on year when truck was produced. Sorry to missunderstand your point, but bikes are the best I saw so far. This problem of proper scale is often causing me problems so I've ended on 1:17,5 - 1:18 scale because I'm not concentrating on only one type of machinery.

@andrepinto my model is Technic model and can bee seen here

Introduction is not final version, but in few weeks I'll update introduction. There are other models that I've made but don't public them here.

Edited by I_Igor

7 hours ago, Bricksonwheels said:

In the end the truth is somewhere bewteen 1/16 and 1/17. My feeling would say 1/16 for typical lopro long haul, and 17 for heavier duty.

That dilema is something that I had some years ago, proof that you have a point here is model that I've made in wired scale 1:16.875 

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=535335

Oh and Ingmar would now say "You are using dishes to act like rims? To me it looks like wheel caps!".

:laugh:

On 12/08/2017 at 7:27 PM, I_Igor said:

That dilema is something that I had some years ago, proof that you have a point here is model that I've made in wired scale 1:16.875 

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=535335

Oh and Ingmar would now say "You are using dishes to act like rims? To me it looks like wheel caps!".

:laugh:

I Just try do to the best i can, let me say with one year doing moc with lego i think i do a Nice work

thx

15 hours ago, andrepinto said:

I Just try do to the best i can, let me say with one year doing moc with lego i think i do a Nice work

thx

For my your blue and white Peterbilt is best model with 62,4 tires (and @Dennis Bosman's kenworth k100 is the best 1:13,5 models). 

Thanks to @Bricksonwheels attached table with tire dimensions I've decided to make all of my models in scale 1:17,5, so fitst is Unimog on the line for modifications and after I finish with it I'll make new topics (but in Technic). Since most of my projects are dealing with machinery I needed Tractor tire with 111mm diameter, so yesterday afternoon I've found a solution for that using 42054 set tire. There is much more to come, but your model and specially @Dennis Bosman's Kenworth are inspiration for U.S. tow truck that will follow after I finish current running projects. Again most beautiful cabover with 62,4 tires that I saw so far :wub:

Everybody can do the math, but you never can get it to the mm i think. That beying sayd, i think all the great scale modeling builders overhere and on other social media, are doing a great and amazing job. I dont look at a few mm at a tyre on a truck. I look at the whole build of the models, witch as i sayd are just great, stunning, amazing ect. You have to be a very great creative and technical builder to create these beautyfull pieces of art. And then you also need to know witch bricks there are in the market and the colors avaleble. So to all you scale modeling builders i will say, keep up that amazing hobby, so we can see all those stunning models from time to time and enjoy them... :thumbup::thumbup:

On 8/20/2017 at 10:41 PM, JDL1967 said:

Everybody can do the math, but you never can get it to the mm i think. That beying sayd, i think all the great scale modeling builders overhere and on other social media, are doing a great and amazing job. I dont look at a few mm at a tyre on a truck. I look at the whole build of the models, witch as i sayd are just great, stunning, amazing ect. You have to be a very great creative and technical builder to create these beautyfull pieces of art. And then you also need to know witch bricks there are in the market and the colors avaleble. So to all you scale modeling builders i will say, keep up that amazing hobby, so we can see all those stunning models from time to time and enjoy them... :thumbup::thumbup:

Complete truth and there is nothing to add on this comment - thumbs up :thumbup:

I think the look great, only thing I don't like are the rear wheel arches on the yellow and green truck.

Tire size, okay, maybe they aren't the right size, but it doesn't look bad.