Captain Genaro

(GBW- CP3) Filace - A Walk in the Park

Map Name: Studica
Grid: E4

As always, comments and criticism are welcome. 

With the hills surrounding the Basin firmly under COAC control and a steady flow of troops landing at the recently captured beachhead, the order came down for the 55th to carry out their part of the mission. It was supposed to be an easy mission, move into REDACTED and secure one of the main roads leading inland from the beach. After all, the RoN hardly put up any fight at the beach, and they were supposed to be completely disorganized. A walk in the park, as one general described it, and for that reason you won't need more than a tank and some infantry. Heck, he bragged, the infantry could probably handle it alone. Just march in, take the road and make sure the rail line is secure before the RoN can move in reinforcements. Of course, these staff officers didn't exactly jump at the chance to volunteer to lead the assault; better to leave the glory to a younger officer. And that's how the recently promoted 2nd Lieutenant Pierre Noche found himself trying to coordinate his troops as a handful of RoN survivors put up a desperate yet futile defense. 

36169644651_1657bb1b4f_c.jpgP1110549 by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

"We could really use some guns now George!" Pierre yelled at the Plantasian spotter attached to his unit. In theory, the Plantasians were supposed to identify targets and let the big naval guns know their coordinates. Then the navy could unleash hell and clear the path for the ground troops. Of course, this theory didn't take the general staff into consideration.

"No go, chief," George replied. "CGS doesn't want to risk civvies."

Pierre swore before continuing. "You tell that SOB that if he doesn't get us some cover, he's looking at a dead unit. And if we miraculously survive, I'll personally kill him." 

George just gave Pierre thumbs up before conveying Pierre's message using words that were less likely to result in a court martial. 

36260849606_48ba34b5d8_c.jpgP1110540 by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

A medic attended to a soldier who was shot just below the heart. At this point, all that could be done was to try and comfort and pray for the dying man. 

36302625525_867033b8d6_c.jpgA Walk in the Park by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

The generals may have been worried about civilian casualties, but the tank commander was far more concerned about RoN snipers and anti-tank rockets taking cover in the buildings overlooking the road. 

35467790544_0f1c17dce4_c.jpgA Walk in the Park by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

36169219341_ea96f30c48_c.jpgA Walk in the Park by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

35496172803_dd4d727376_c.jpgA Walk in the Park by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

The RoN put up a valiant defense, but one that was ultimately in vain as the small unit quickly began securing buildings and overwhelmed the defenders before reinforcements could arrive. 

36169239181_83373f906c_c.jpgA Walk in the Park by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Edited by Captain Genaro

Excellent urban combat scene. The broken corner of the building is magnificient.

Congratulations! A small scene but full of many nice details. A strong story running in different levels, and 3 interesting city buildings. 

You’ve been awarded (10) points (+4 Bonus Points).

Judges’ comments…

This one takes the cake for this campaign. You continually drive me to make better builds myself. The detailing in everything here is superb. I scored this one nearly perfect so I can't really provide any sort of constructive criticism for you. If I had to..... I'd say make more so I have more to look at. Great Job!

I really enjoy your builds! You bring everything together in some great ways. You have a scene which meets the minimum size. In that scene, you have three building facades. You also include scenery, details, and a vehicle. Then, you have detailed soldiers. The vehicle is your own custom tank, kudos there because my creative building has not yet reached vehicles, no matter how hard I try. I don't recognize the buildings from anything so those are custom creations as well. You added terrain and battle damage. Then, you have lighting. I can't tell if you used a photo booth or outside. Either way though, this is well lit. Even the alleyway where the soldier is hiding, I can still see him clearly with no dark spots. All aspects here...hit and hit well. My only critique? Buy a white sheet to use as a background instead of multiple sheets of paper. Other than that, this is great!

Thanks for playing!