MovieMocs

[HELP] How to make professional instructions?

I really need help to make some professional looking Lego instructions. I want to start selling them on ebay and I have a ton of awesome LDD files that I want to convert into professional looking instructions. I tried Blueprint but my graphics card can only run OpenGl 3.1 (You need 3.2) and I tried Ldraw but I can't upload LDD files into it (It keeps crashing) and I tried Lpub but you need an Ldraw file for that. I'm really frustrated and don't wanna buy a new graphics card so I can use Blueprint. I need some help. does anyone have suggustions or how you make high quality instructions? Thanks, MovieMocs

I think you mean Ldcad,  LDraw is the parts library. 

If you want to use your current files, first import them to Stud.io, and then export as Ldcad compatible files(I don't remember the extension) to use Lpub. 

I hope this will help.

PS: .lxf files can only be opened in LDD and Stud.io 

Edited by Xewyz2001

No offense, but OpenGL 3.2 is already like 8 years old I believe. I can perfectly understand that you don't wanna buy a new gpu just for that, but just keep in mind that chances are high you're gonna run into more compatibility issues as time goes on. What graphics card do you currently have?

Anyway, about your question. For LDD files there's, like you said, Blueprint. I haven't used it myself, but from what I can see from the screenshots and the discussions I've read here in the forum it looks like a really great piece of software.

For LDraw files, the most used instructions editor is LPub3D. But, that's LDraw based and not LDD based. You can export LDD to LDraw (this program works really well), but the export is not always guaranteed to be 100% error-free. Also note that you probably have to edit the LDraw file afterwards in an editor like LDCad. You see, LPub3D doesn't create the steps, callouts, submodels etc. It's just a tool to generate the images and create the layouts. You have to create all your steps, rotations, submodels etc. etc. yourself. I won't go into detail here, because I can go on paragraph by paragraph. But, I believe the same applies to blueprint (although maybe in a lesser extent).

I've created a lot of instructions myself using LDcad + LPub3D, mostly for ~2000 piece Technic models. I've never timed it, but from begin (rebuilding a digital copy of the model) to end (final pdf) I think it takes at least about 100 hours. But, the amount of time it takes really depends on the type of model (Technic takes more time than simple bricks and plates), the size of the model, etc.

No matter what tool, or technique you use to build you great, i think... instruction. OpenGL is only for High Performance Graphics. Because process of rendering it time consuming behavior. You do not need this power for

display single Portable Document File. However, as legolijntje say: you can step in random issues, that corresponded with health of your hardware. 

8 hours ago, legolijntje said:

No offense, but OpenGL 3.2 is already like 8 years old I believe. I can perfectly understand that you don't wanna buy a new gpu just for that, but just keep in mind that chances are high you're gonna run into more compatibility issues as time goes on. What graphics card do you currently have?

Anyway, about your question. For LDD files there's, like you said, Blueprint. I haven't used it myself, but from what I can see from the screenshots and the discussions I've read here in the forum it looks like a really great piece of software.

For LDraw files, the most used instructions editor is LPub3D. But, that's LDraw based and not LDD based. You can export LDD to LDraw (this program works really well), but the export is not always guaranteed to be 100% error-free. Also note that you probably have to edit the LDraw file afterwards in an editor like LDCad. You see, LPub3D doesn't create the steps, callouts, submodels etc. It's just a tool to generate the images and create the layouts. You have to create all your steps, rotations, submodels etc. etc. yourself. I won't go into detail here, because I can go on paragraph by paragraph. But, I believe the same applies to blueprint (although maybe in a lesser extent).

I've created a lot of instructions myself using LDcad + LPub3D, mostly for ~2000 piece Technic models. I've never timed it, but from begin (rebuilding a digital copy of the model) to end (final pdf) I think it takes at least about 100 hours. But, the amount of time it takes really depends on the type of model (Technic takes more time than simple bricks and plates), the size of the model, etc.

Thanks for the help! My computer has Intel Pentium G645, I don't really know what that means except it can't run opengl 3.2 which means I can't run Blueprint. I really don't want this to be a 100 hours project just for the instructions so I'm looking for more of a "Import the LDD file and out pops your instructions with a bit of tweaking. Since my card is so old, my dad just suggested I buy a new graphics card because I've ran it to problems like these before with other programs. I might just do that. Thanks again for the help!

legolijntje Is right You may have to spend some time learning the basics of MLCAD or similar. I very recently found that "Stud.io" from Bricklink converts LDD files to Ldraw or vice versa. It also very easily renders wonderfully easy (at least with my PC). LPUB or LPUB3D is great for making the instructions from an LDRAW file.

LDD can export to LDraw, you just need to use the most recent ldraw.xml file as found here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/137193-more-up-to-date-ldrawxml-lddldraw-conversion-file/

It still might need some corrections afterwards though.

Once you have a model corrected in LDraw you can 'sprinkle' it with stepping and LPub metas so LPub(3D) can generate a PDF out of it. Depending on the model just adding steps alone could be enough for some nice looking basic instructions.

As for OpenGL, LPub needs that (through LDView) for generating the 3D images. So LPub itself doesn't care about the version. LDView does, but I believe 3.1 is high enough a version for it to run comfortably.

My own LDCad should work on OpenGL as low as 1.1 but it prefers to use 3.0 so you should be ok.