Ron Dayes

Cars for Modular Round 2

Modulars are the big player in the category of "AFOL" aimed sets and we all have seen probably several displays online/on conventions.
It has always bothered me how TLG doesnt really include more cars to that line or a car based buidling (garage etc). Its either that City is the series for that (to save some expanses) or that they dont really agree on a scale there (one must admit, the Cinema limousine is fairly poor designed and doenst match the City line designwise). Perhaps they just know we will find our own solutions ;)
Therefore i ventured out last year to analyse and calculate sizes of certain elements, such as windows, doors and their standard measures (also comparing world wide) - since those are the only standards we have regarding the "modular scale", fixed elements. Everything else can vary (height, length etc), as it does irl. Thats why its not easy to say which scale we are actually getting here...which would in return be necessary to "agree" on a car scale
I brainstormed it all into this old thread, which led me to 1/42 scale.
...and i've been updating the scale and ideas since, currently arriving to a 1/43 scale (the difference is quite huge in this micro scaling!)
Now i know this is certainly not the usual approach and we will never know the "true scale" of modulars, leaving quite a lot of scale options possible.
Also the following builds are rather "scale models" than "minifig cars" - but perhaps this is to somebodies liking here, so i just post the second run of vehicles for the fun of it.
One of the main things i really like of working in this scale is the "puzzeling" of parts in several directions in SNOT, just like the modulars have it done in their detail areas. The other thing is that the size of vehicles lets the Modulars appear a lot bigger then when city scale/ Speed Champion is being used. So this car in its design principle is quite modularish, but if it blends in well i leave for you to decide ;)
Nuff talk, pics:
36254044126_f1b8ea1b1a.jpgModular context, sundown by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

36155140811_9d97d4eedc.jpgscale universe 1:43 by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

35482888233_6bfbb640f2.jpgPickup by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

35894612410_8f1586f3a7.jpgambulance US by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

35482888503_684206b8a5.jpgSports SUV by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

33638801193_356e9c1132.jpgVintage Racing Porsche by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

33320840950_206afe5438.jpgVW T1 redesigns by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

33370278680_4a5afa06b4.jpgCar collection by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Edited by Ron Dayes

Another fantastic batch of vehicles from you! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Not only are they all to scale (and what a small scale it is!) - they are also immediately recognizable throughout which is not so easy to achieve even in much larger scales. And as if that wasn't enough, you've covered a wide range of different types of vehicles with lots of different solutions, shapes and colours. This is minifig scale car building at its best!

The only downside I can see is that hardly anybody will be able to join you in this uncompromising approach towards a "real" Minifig/Modular Building scale. And I include myself here - I'd have a hard time to identify all the sophisticated techniques being used on your models. 

However, what I'm able to identify is very inspiring - like all your models in general. Would be keen to see them "in the brick", of course. Keep up the excellent work!

3 hours ago, ER0L said:

Another fantastic batch of vehicles from you! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Not only are they all to scale (and what a small scale it is!) - they are also immediately recognizable throughout which is not so easy to achieve even in much larger scales. And as if that wasn't enough, you've covered a wide range of different types of vehicles with lots of different solutions, shapes and colours. This is minifig scale car building at its best!

The only downside I can see is that hardly anybody will be able to join you in this uncompromising approach towards a "real" Minifig/Modular Building scale. And I include myself here - I'd have a hard time to identify all the sophisticated techniques being used on your models. 

However, what I'm able to identify is very inspiring - like all your models in general. Would be keen to see them "in the brick", of course. Keep up the excellent work!

Many thanks Er0L ! Much appreciated and i'm glad you like it!
This range of vehicles should finish the quest to have the common stuff on "four wheels" done, so i might even try doing other stuff apart from cars one day soon (planes, trains)
Hmmm...yes i get what you mean - yet nobody ever asked for any instructions to 1/43s, therefore i never bothered doing any instruction pics. :/
BTW, i allready have some stuff ordered - just takes time completing most of these since i cant always get hold of the parts i want (i did have a few HTF parts here and there because i dont want them all to be red or black...)
cheers and thanks for stopping by! You stay at it aswell!

On 2.8.2017 at 11:12 PM, peedeejay said:

Nice package. My favorite is the ambulance by far!

On 5.8.2017 at 8:13 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow the ambulance is gorgeous ...and the pick-up is cool too!

Very sleek!

Seems that the ambulance finds its fans. Currently thinking of doing instructions for this one... thanks for the praise!

On 5.8.2017 at 3:31 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

The Sports SUV is my favourite!

Thanks - also my fav of the bunch

On 7.8.2017 at 6:40 PM, TheFunnyMan said:

If this is rude to ask - please forgive me.  Is it possible to get instructions for these?  I am willing to pay.

Thanks!

Its not rude to ask.

The thing is im currently trying to find a way of getting nice instructions done. Perhaps they will pop up soon for sale or a bunch in an e book or something...
I'll write you then :)