Ayrlego

[COR - Jul FB] Infantry Barracks, Port Woodhouse

Situated astride the strategically important Garma's Strait, Port Woodhouse is planned to be the seat of the Corrish administration in the Paradise Isles. While the Royal Navy looks to the sheltered waters of Safety bay, the army is constructing barracks and planning the landward defences.

Here a half-company parades outside their barracks for inspection by their officer. Sentries on guard duty look on from the attached watchtower.

36152153941_e5a4786c7f_z.jpg

Just a quick build before the end of the month, trying to breath some life into Port Woodhouse! I'm attempting for a more 'classic' kind of feel, but using modern techniques. Also a good opportunity to display one of my half-companies ('Platoon' somehow seems too modern! ). I currently have just over two whole companies of redcoats, not that I'll probably ever use them all at once in a MOC - what can I say, I'm a tragic army builder! Anyway, hope you enjoy, will be licensed as a medium residence.

Incredible! The "rocks" gave a really nice touch! I also love the cannon, I can't really see the cannon. I was hoping on building it :pir-laugh: can you teach me?

Olive palm tree leaves?!?! :drool:  Are those in a recent set?  Great fort anyhow, good use of those arched bricks.  And lovely collection of tricornes! :pir-grin:

Lovely build, instantly recognizable as your style! The car fenders as arches above the windows is a nice detail, and the rough gray foundation and dark tan and earth colors mixed into the wall give it that proper colonial feel. And I just discovered those olive palm leaves recently; I have some on order! All around nice build! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

That's a nice barrack with tower... I like the exposed beams

Thanks Professor!

1 hour ago, Mjazzw7 said:

Incredible! The "rocks" gave a really nice touch! I also love the cannon, I can't really see the cannon. I was hoping on building it :pir-laugh: can you teach me?

Thank you! I've used that cannon before, it's based of this design by workshysteve and here is a photo I made last time showing the construction.

30345871425_d4da380914_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

Olive palm tree leaves?!?! :drool:  Are those in a recent set?  Great fort anyhow, good use of those arched bricks.  And lovely collection of tricornes! :pir-grin:

Yeah, from the Star Wars Battle on Scarif set (75171). I got one when they were first released especially for the leaves, then ordered some more on BL recently. At first I was going to use normal green in this build, but decided the olive were too good not to use! Glad you liked them.

1 hour ago, RocketSeason said:

Yeah, those palm leaves are beautiful. And the stucco work is quite lovely as well!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Capt Wolf said:

Lovely build, instantly recognizable as your style! The car fenders as arches above the windows is a nice detail, and the rough gray foundation and dark tan and earth colors mixed into the wall give it that proper colonial feel. And I just discovered those olive palm leaves recently; I have some on order! All around nice build! :thumbup:

Thanks Capt Wolf, hopefully we'll get a greater range of medium dark flesh plates one of these days!

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

Thank you! I've used that cannon before, it's based of this design by workshysteve and here is a photo I made last time showing the construction.

30345871425_d4da380914_n.jpg

Awesome! Luckily, I have all the peices! I will make that beauty and make a little battle. You know, constitution vs British 

Great barracks. The fact that it is of such little height really creates a appropriate atmosphere. Nice wall technique, and those small arches above the windows are really nice. And a nice palmtree. And nice soldiers.

BoBS definitely is flooded with industry-MOCs, great to see some more military presented.

This is perfect. It is exactly the style I aim to achieve somewhere down the road. :wub: The subtle colors adds so much realism and fit well together. :thumbup:

A great build and it definitely does breathe of classic lego influence. My favorites are the roof, and the wheel covers over the windows. Of course, I also love a build that has a good display of soldiers. I would love to see you fit all your troops in one build. :pir-sweet: I already tried it for myself though I couldn't get everyone in. I only got 52 redcoats and some scouts in. Back to your build, I always enjoy the texture you add to your ground and this is no exception. 

Yummy as always! I love how you use all those detailed textures even in your small-ish builds! And I second Elostirion in that we need a bit more military builds! Fight some more people!!! :tongue:

Only thing I would alter in your build is that flag pole but I am also struggling to find a way of making one that doesn't look weird in minifig scale :sceptic: 

Beautiful little barracks, Ayrlego - I like how Port Woodhouse is developing into a truly military settlement. I too like the use of arches and white, yellowed white, dark tan and dark flesh goes really well together in these walls! I like your roof too (although I am not a fan of the printed tile included) and the squat little tower. The surroundings are great too, and one can't help envy you your beautiful troops! Great work!