Quick poll on how you like to control your mocs

Lego technic controllability  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer?

• Fully mechanical
    • Hybrid of both
    • Fully radio controlled

Hey guys!

I was wondering how the majority feel about controlling their mocs or purchased sets. 
Do you prefer your legos to be mechanically operated by pushing levers or spinning gears? Or do you perhaps enjoy radio controlling your mocs? Maybe you're the small category that likes both and uses hybrid techniques like radio controllable tracks but manually operated arms on an excavator? Cast your vote. 

[There is a great option for polls at the EB site itself! I just helped you with that. No thanks. JopieK] 

Edited by JopieK
Integrated poll

Both operations have their perks. Manual is 100% only levers and pulleys. It's simple to build and reliable. 
Rc is fully automatic. You don't need to touch the model. It's awesome to control and enjoy your own robot. 
And then comes hybrid. It's the mix of both. The model could have switches on top of it that you switch on to move a part. The bucket wheel excavator is a good example of this. 

For me, i like mechanical for it's simplicity, 

When it comes to MOCs, I'd like to build them full manual. Just gives me more pleasure and adds a challenge of creating proper controls for the mechanics as well. 

I can't completely side with manual, because I don't like to sit something on a shelf, and not drive it, so I see more interest towards rc, rather than manual.

Nearly always manual, as many of my models don't have the space for PF stuff, and I only have one BB anyway.  Also, I will always try to group the controls into one 'panel', as that is far more satisfying to me than controls sticking out at every direction from a MOC.

I build GBC's (Great Ball Contraptions)... so I like mine being mains-powered, with a single motor driving all mechanical functions (per GBC), and some nice old 9v Train controllers, to easily fine-tune the speed... handy to dial it down a notch

So, how I expected the poll to go:

1- Power functions
2- Mindstorms
3- Premade Lego RC base
4- Sbrick
5- BuWizz
6- Other

To that poll, my answers would be:

1- Power functions if the model is slow and/or used mostly indoors
2- Sbrick if the model needs precise control, needs to work both inside and outside without interference, and if I can be bothered with their software.

So yeah... put me down for "fully remotely controlled".

34 minutes ago, mahjqa said:

So, how I expected the poll to go:

1- Power functions
2- Mindstorms
3- Premade Lego RC base
4- Sbrick
5- BuWizz
6- Other

To that poll, my answers would be:

1- Power functions if the model is slow and/or used mostly indoors
2- Sbrick if the model needs precise control, needs to work both inside and outside without interference, and if I can be bothered with their software.

So yeah... put me down for "fully remotely controlled".

Great idea for a "what brand of automation do you prefer" poll. 

Ha, I put hybrid in the lead.  :laugh:   Which ones I use depends on my build. 

And I just added another for hybrid :sweet:

Ultimately I think u get more functions with hybrid.  Remote control can only control so much with the limitations of Lego.  A hybrid approach allows one to rc lots of stuff, but manual can add detail functions, like opening doors, bonnets, etc that often aren't even bothered to be motorized.

Added "Hybrid" as well.

I am into trains (phew) and using some mechanical technic elements to get remote control going (throwing a switch here, lowering a bridge there). As well as some custom electronics, nothing noticeable, it is indeed mostly LEGO stuff (PBricks, all of them, some RF add ons)

Best
Thorsten  

hybrid for sure....I.m a sbrick user and now Buwizz. Static non remote controlled models are also great I have quite a few and I am getting pickier at what those are because those super cars are awesome and need space to park!! 

Manual - can never find charged batteries when I just want a quick play and there's something special about pushing models around or spinning controls by hand that takes me back to my youth, sitting on the floor surrounded by bricks and a mostly finished model.

23 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

I own:

7x PF M motor

6x PF L-motor

7x PF XL-motor

2x PF servo-motor

1x 9v old style motor

4x PF light

1x PF laser

1x PF electromagnet

and 7 sbrick's (2 of them sbrick plus)

Who can guess what I voted? :tongue:

I think I have you beat with power functions, except for the laser, electromagnetic and sbricks