Kelkschiz

[MOC] Blacktron Blackbird C3 frigate class spaceship

36232300776_6426a90fd4_c.jpg

After getting reinvested into the LEGO Blacktron theme with the Scouttrax, Trooptrax and Liberator ground vehicles, it was a given that I also had to build a Blacktron spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!!! I wanted something big like a command ship but not so big that I would have to spend a small fortune on Bricklink. So I opted for a frigate class ship.

This is the Blacktron Blackbird a Blacktron C3 (command, control and communications) frigate. Designed to act as a forward HQ for an AO (area of operations). As most ships in the Blacktron fleet, it is fast, heavily armed and cool looking as hell. It has two modes of operation. It's standard cruise mode in which the ship is one long sleek craft. And then it has a battle mode in which the front cockpit detaches and acts as a multipurpose fighter/bomber. The fighter is called the Wasp it has a variable-sweep wing which can be completely folded backwards. When the fighter detaches the main ship is controlled from a secondary cockpit slightly farther back.

It is not difficult to see where the inspiration for this build came from, I think. It had two main sources of inspiration the first obvious being the Lockheed SR-71. The second is a bit more obscure but I hope fan of the Star Trek universe will still notice it.

Have to say I had a lot of fun making this build and also making some of the images. All my other MOCs since my dark age rely heavily on LEGO Technic, all of them are remote controlled. This is quite the opposite. Hardly any technic involved here. Nor any complex mechanisms so I was able to fully enjoy the design process, which was a lot smoother than normal. Still planning to expand my Blacktron forces further.

BT4EVER!!

36107005042_9256b1bd27_c.jpg

36232293346_8128b9cca7_c.jpg

35879569650_10ae2ac8e0_c.jpg

36140791691_8d53a98d78_c.jpg

For more pictures please check my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/33425520@N07/albums

Edited by Kelkschiz
Added photo

SWEEEEEEET!

Talk about swooshable, this looks great! I don't usually like heavy usage of solid yellow on Blacktron I creations, but in this case, I really dig it! I definitely can see the SR-71 inspiration in this, and the Trans-red on the thrusters looks very nice. :thumbup: :sweet:

This looks really cool. Elegant lines and distinctive design. I really like the wingtips. They give it a hint of a predatory bird, with quite a bit of glamour in the mix as well.  A sight that should definitely terrify helpless space travellers. Good work! :classic:

20 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

SWEEEEEEET!

Talk about swooshable, this looks great! I don't usually like heavy usage of solid yellow on Blacktron I creations, but in this case, I really dig it! I definitely can see the SR-71 inspiration in this, and the Trans-red on the thrusters looks very nice. :thumbup: :sweet:

20 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

This looks really cool. Elegant lines and distinctive design. I really like the wingtips. They give it a hint of a predatory bird, with quite a bit of glamour in the mix as well.  A sight that should definitely terrify helpless space travellers. Good work! :classic:

Thank you both for your absolutely lovely comments. You two really put a smile on my face :). 

Very nice model, never thought that the Lattice Towers can be used in plane/spacehip :) the wings are awesome!

Thanks Moviemocs, it was my first attempt at a composition photo and it worked out wonderfully with a background made by GrahamGT over on DeviantArt. 

Thanks Istakaciti, at first I was planning to use those for a Blacktron base but I found out they make a very lovely wedged shaped profile piece as well. I think it makes the build look a bit more utilitarian, which I like.