Sign in to follow this  
Lowa

4DBrix Automation Reviews

Both BrickTsar and DunksterBricks seem to have had a lot of fun making a review of our automation system!  BrickTsar focuses on how to get the system up and running while DunksterBricks shows what it looks like in a real layout.  Now that the switch motors, traffic lights and sensors are out, what do you think we should focus on getting out next ?

Hey, this is looking very good, I just found this. Great!

Is there a software version planned for smartphones (IOS, Android), or a Mac version (not a windows user anymore... :-(  )

As for your question what to tackle next:
Maybe a system for a train level crossing, complete with signaling lights and boom barriers?

On 8/5/2017 at 9:49 AM, DoomedACE said:

Hey, this is looking very good, I just found this. Great!

Is there a software version planned for smartphones (IOS, Android), or a Mac version (not a windows user anymore... :-(  )

As for your question what to tackle next:
Maybe a system for a train level crossing, complete with signaling lights and boom barriers?

The software is available on Windows, macOS, Raspbian and Ubuntu.  We're working on a system where you can use you phone as remote control while the system is connected to computer to control and power the motors, lights, etc.  The 'computer' can be very small/cheap as we support nControl on the Raspberry Pi.

We made a prototype of a level crossing with lights and boom barriers a while ago:

Unfortunately there are supply problem with the servo motor we used for this prototype, so we'll have to redesign it using the servo motor we use for the track switch motors.

10 hours ago, Lowa said:

...We're working on a system where you can use you phone as remote control while the system is connected to computer to control and power the motors, lights, etc....

@Lowa, this would be my request for the thing you work on next. I think the electronics side is your company's strength.

10 hours ago, Lowa said:

The 'computer' can be very small/cheap as we support nControl on the Raspberry Pi.

I didn't think of using a Raspberry Pi for this! I may need to investigate further as I don't like the idea of having to have a computer or tablet (with USB) in the same room as my train layout - if I don't have to. With a Raspberry Pi, I could hide it under my layout table.

11 hours ago, Younge said:

@Lowa, this would be my request for the thing you work on next. I think the electronics side is your company's strength.

I didn't think of using a Raspberry Pi for this! I may need to investigate further as I don't like the idea of having to have a computer or tablet (with USB) in the same room as my train layout - if I don't have to. With a Raspberry Pi, I could hide it under my layout table.

The Raspberry Pi is very handy for this.  With the current version of our control system/software you can already use it in combination with a tablet by logging in remotely.  It's a solution that really makes sense to me as you have an small control unit (Raspberry Pi) that manages and power the automation system.

15 hours ago, Lowa said:

The Raspberry Pi is very handy for this.  With the current version of our control system/software you can already use it in combination with a tablet by logging in remotely.  It's a solution that really makes sense to me as you have an small control unit (Raspberry Pi) that manages and power the automation system.

Out of curiosity, what OS would you be running to get your software to work on a Pi?

4 hours ago, Younge said:

Out of curiosity, what OS would you be running to get your software to work on a Pi?

Raspbian was mentioned further up and is the most widely used.

Just now, justinwebb said:

Raspbian was mentioned further up and is the most widely used.

Yeah, I just checked out the 4dBrix website and saw what they are using. I really have to get my butt into gear and start ordering some of their items!

On 7/30/2017 at 10:35 AM, Lowa said:

Both BrickTsar and DunksterBricks seem to have had a lot of fun making a review of our automation system!  BrickTsar focuses on how to get the system up and running while DunksterBricks shows what it looks like in a real layout.  Now that the switch motors, traffic lights and sensors are out, what do you think we should focus on getting out next ?

A time machine to go back in time and buy more 12V stuff when it was being cleared out as the 9V was coming in.  Also to buy stockpiles of 9V straights.

Any idea for making the train stop when using PF? An intelligent positioning system and controller inside the train, like "Railware" for example, might be too much to ask for. What i thought about is a kind of magnetic killswitch between reciever and motor and a few small electromagnets powered in conjunction with the red light? A speeding train might just overall this "barrier" but so far it seems the easiest solution. Anything mechanical might not be suitable for all the different train models.

On 7/30/2017 at 10:35 AM, Lowa said:

Going back to your question about what to build next, and this would be 3D printing and not automation technology, but something to incorporate the monorail motor into a car.  Instead of just having the plain motor cover, have a modular cover where you can add to extensions to the bottom of it, and attach maybe 6 bricks wide to either side and have essentially a middle car that's nearly as long as the front and back cars (not entirely sure if this would cause clearance issues on the inclines/declines) just something that I thought up.