BrickWild

60th Anniversary of the LEGO Brick (2018) - Your Predictions

I'm hoping for an anniversary set for each of the major themes - City, Castle, Space, etc. Kinda like the small white-boxed promo minifigures and sets from the past couple years - Space for 2014, Castle for 2015, Pirates for 2016. 

It could be a great re-occurring theme of anniversary sets or reissues. 

On 6/8/2017 at 6:33 PM, Glerick said:

A Creator Expert museum seems very appropriate for an anniversary.  A large brick museum jam-packed with references to old themes. It sure would excite a lot of people.  

I think you may have nailed it with this prediction. A museum or gallery celebrating the history of Lego and perhaps a gala opening party happening on one level seems highly plausible.  I think it's more likely than some type of retail store unless  it's a modular Lego store.

I always get a chuckle when dealing with LEGO anniversaries.... usually because LTG doesn't always get it right....  for example....

1957 (late in year) first appearance of the tube bottom brick, but Patent was sent in in January 1958.  Where do people get the idea that LEGO bricks didn't exist before 1958?  There were (1949) slotted bricks and (1956) hollow bottom bricks, before the advent of the tube bottom bricks.

So many LEGO anniversaries are either ignored by TLG or they got them wrong.

I remember the 1998 introduction of the Silver Anniversary Bucket (with silver 2x4 brick) and Tub sets to mark 25 years of LEGO in the USA.  Well that wasn't quite right.  1973 was the first year that TLG took back the USA LEGO license from USA Samsonite (they had it since 1961).... and not the true anniversary of the first year of LEGO in the USA.

Sometimes TLG produces ambiguous anniversaries... that aren't quite right... but close...... :blush:

Some anniversaries get skipped altogether by TLG.... so if you don't anticipate them.... you won't be disappointed when they're not celebrated.

15 hours ago, LEGO Historian said:

1957 (late in year) first appearance of the tube bottom brick, but Patent was sent in in January 1958.  Where do people get the idea that LEGO bricks didn't exist before 1958?  There were (1949) slotted bricks and (1956) hollow bottom bricks, before the advent of the tube bottom bricks.

Actually, I think it has to do with the patent which was done in 1958.

US3005282-0.png

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Most likely not, but it would be cool to see a large, Expert series set of the LEGO House opening next month.

There is already a new Archicteture set for the Lego House.

7 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

There is already a new Archicteture set for the Lego House.

Yes, but at the moment you have to go to the Lego House to buy one.

1 hour ago, LucyCol said:

Yes, but at the moment you have to go to the Lego House to buy one.

It would make more sense to make a wider realease of the Archicteture set than to release a new Cretor Expert of it.

I'd love to see them bring back classic space, but slightly remixed and improved upon - and moulds like the slightly larger heads, old space helmets brought back

There are now some preliminary catalog images of the five 60th anniversary sets SvL had earlier mentioned up on Instagram.

I also want to mention that prelims of four Creator sets were also shown, but unfortunately, nothing groundbreaking for the theme. Personally, I was perhaps hoping to see some Space or Castle themed sets for it, but we will have to see what more 2018 has in store. :sceptic:

But I will say, there is a cute Creator set of a minifigure scale beach van that's nice.

I would really like to see Lego make another one of their massive life-size builds. Or a Lego model of the original workshop! That would be a great piece of history! I would also like to see one of the classic Lego toys before the brick was invented. Something that would be a great conversation and display piece.

32 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Or a Lego model of the original workshop!

There was actually sets of it given only to LEGO employees in 2012. 

Edited by Hart New Bob

19 minutes ago, Hart New Bob said:

There was actually sets of it given only to LEGO employees in 2012. 

Cool, I didn't know that! It would be great if they did something like that for Lego fans!

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:17 PM, brickmasterben11 said:

Perhaps we'll get a classic space set? But like an updated version,like how they updated the town plan set for 2008.

Never owned one of these, so I hope they do this!

I would like a big D2C set for Castle (and one for the Space fans as well), given their individual anniversaries.

Or a "Legends" line with re-imagined editions of classic sets (not just straight up replicas), with new minifigs, parts and colours.

On 16/09/2017 at 8:19 AM, Hive said:

I would like a big D2C set for Castle (and one for the Space fans as well), given their individual anniversaries.

Or a "Legends" line with re-imagined editions of classic sets (not just straight up replicas), with new minifigs, parts and colours.

This could very well be a line of re-imagined editions of classic sets, we honestly know nothing. I think classic replicas are more likely, but reimaginings could appeal more to kids and collectors. 

I don't know how Toys'R'Us will be faring throughout 2018 given its financial woes, but I wonder if we may see at least one 60th System/40th Minifigure anniversary Bricktober pack by the time that month next year rolls around.

On 9/14/2017 at 1:33 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

I would really like to see Lego make another one of their massive life-size builds. Or a Lego model of the original workshop! That would be a great piece of history! I would also like to see one of the classic Lego toys before the brick was invented. Something that would be a great conversation and display piece.

While we already know the set, I would love to see the wooden duck as an anniversary set. 

11 hours ago, Vindicare said:

While we already know the set, I would love to see the wooden duck as an anniversary set. 

Me too! It would be a great tribute to everything that was before the brick and what made the Lego company popular in the first place!

On 12/20/2017 at 5:19 PM, Vindicare said:

Wouldn't that make more sense for an anniversary of the company as a whole, rather than an anniversary of the Lego brick?