Sariel

Another YouTuber stealing your Technic videos

On 2017-5-2 at 8:06 PM, xlib said:

I just wanted to point out that those "stolen" videos doesn't actually infringe copyright. Whenever I browse sites like rebrickable or this very forum, I never saw license terms attached to some model (unless instructions are sold). This said, if I take, for example, Sariel's model, assemble it and make a video about it, law says that I'm legitimate copyright holder.

Re-posting video is also "a-OK" in the eyes of law, especially when you do it on the same site (youtube). It may be some TOS violation, though.

Plagiarism is bad, but not illegal.

As far as I am aware copyright doesn't need to be registered at all, or even explicitly stated; instead it immediately applies to all works of literature, science and art, including visual arts. Which in turn would include both a video but also the original LEGO creation. Copyright also seems to me to be a whole lot more comprehensive than most realize. It basically means (in my layman's words) that the creator has control over his creation. Meaning you need permission from the creator to do anything substantial with his creation, including but not limited to: making changes to the creation; broadcasting the creation; reproducing the creation; using the creation as a basis for an audiovisual work. Of course there are also some exceptions like Fair Use, but those would never apply to the situation you seem to be referring to. 

Ow and plagiarism is illegal in most cases. However, fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view, very few people are actually convicted or taken to court over it because the infringements are many and the financial interests are often too small to warrant hiring a lawyer. That makes many small creator feel pretty powerless. We have rights but we can't enforce those rights. This topic is one of the very few small things that creators can do to get the feeling that they are doing something to protect their rights. So when you pretty much state we don't have the rights we do have, you put into words exactly what the problem is and what the source of our frustration is. It's a bold move but not particularly sensitive.

Edited by Kelkschiz

On 5/7/2017 at 2:58 AM, Kelkschiz said:

Ow and plagiarism is illegal in most cases.

I don't think it's as simple as that.  From wikipedia:

Plagiarism is not in itself a crime, but can constitute copyright infringement. In academia and industry, it is a serious ethical offense.[4][5] Plagiarism and copyright infringement overlap to a considerable extent, but they are not equivalent concepts, and many types of plagiarism do not constitute copyright infringement, which is defined by copyright law and may be adjudicated by courts. Plagiarism is not defined or punished by law, but rather by institutions (including professional associations, educational institutions, and commercial entities, such as publishing companies).

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "most" and have used "can" instead, because I have no facts to back that up. But other than that the wiki quote supports what I said. Also, the forms of plagiarism that don´t constitute copyright infringement are generally not applicable to the context we are discussing here. 

Edited by Kelkschiz

5 hours ago, agrof said:

Unfortunately appeared:

@rm8 - Trophy Truck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e34nLgN9nQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E3AAi4ISJ4

@Sariel - Pagani

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHpwwdqPu4g

All presented as MOC of the copycats... :hmpf_bad:

Thanks

Not really a problem since this are new channels with near zero subscribers and views. But it is a big problem to fill all forms when you want to claim that those videos are stolen from you. Really waste of time.

Edited by rm8

@Sariel - It looks like rcMart.com has stolen one of your YouTube videos and uploaded it to Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/rcmart/videos/10155265672557008/

they have given you credit (link to your YouTube Channel), but it is still 5.5k views (at the time of writing this) that you have missed out on.

Unless you have a prior arrangement with them, you might want to investigate further.

Facebook: Reporting a Violation or Infringement of Your Rights: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/634636770043106

1 hour ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

@9v systemIt says in the intro that the video was shared with permission - is this a lie?

the video was shared to beyond the brick but this guy has stolen it off them 

A question: 

I have seen these videos by I don't know who called "5 Awesome LEGO Machines" I cannot tell if they have been copied, does anyone know?

8 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

A question: 

I have seen these videos by I don't know who called "5 Awesome LEGO Machines" I cannot tell if they have been copied, does anyone know?

yea i think they are as its just the same video from different people who are reuploading it

On 2017-6-10 at 3:07 AM, 9v system said:

@Berthil your video has been stolen 

Thanks, went through 3 forms on Youtube to claim it is mine but I don't think it has landed at Youtube. Anyway, it happens in this digital world :)

21 minutes ago, Lipko said:

No one is stealing my videos :pir-look:

That's the new measure of success? :D

This guy stole a bunch of Solde's videos of his engines. +14000 views 

Not even a single mention of the original creator apart from the text on screen present from original videos

Edited by LXF

Why are people here giving those copycats free links to their videos, with their ads so they earn more money? Isn't that exactly what they want?

Why not link to the original, giving that extra views, and put the link to the tcopy in a spoiler so the author can use it to report the copycat?

37 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Why are people here giving those copycats free links to their videos, with their ads so they earn more money? Isn't that exactly what they want?

Why not link to the original, giving that extra views, and put the link to the tcopy in a spoiler so the author can use it to report the copycat?

+1 Great point Erik, we should definitely do this from now on.

I have been browsing youtube for quite a while and I have been seeing videos being stolen and re-uploaded by other users.

the channels that steal these videos don't even change anything in the description or anything. they just upload anything they think is popular and claim it is theirs.

if you have seen your videos stolen or someone else's stolen post it here.

Edited by 9v system

I don't have any particular examples to hand, but have definitely seen LEGO set reviews on YouTube with the original English soundtrack replaced by one in another language, e.g. Korean. 

If you're wondering how I know that the English version was the original and not the other way around, the videos sometimes include text in English with the US$ price. Also, on the original English soundtrack, there are sounds such as the noise of the set's box being opened and baggies of bricks sliding onto the table. Those sounds aren't there on the dubbed versions. 

I have merged the topics. We could move this to the General Discussion if necessary.

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:26 AM, AmperZand said:

I don't have any particular examples to hand, but have definitely seen LEGO set reviews on YouTube with the original English soundtrack replaced by one in another language, e.g. Korean. 

If you're wondering how I know that the English version was the original and not the other way around, the videos sometimes include text in English with the US$ price. Also, on the original English soundtrack, there are sounds such as the noise of the set's box being opened and baggies of bricks sliding onto the table. Those sounds aren't there on the dubbed versions. 

im not sure if I call this "stealing" because they are translating it into another language