Sariel

Another YouTuber stealing your Technic videos

32 minutes ago, ImanolBB said:

Is so bad that there is still people who who just rips the videos of other users with no reason more than to get subscribers and likes (which they don´t get), about the pinned topic, will create it? i ask this because i would like to avoid posting a topic and realizing there was another one posted at the same time (at least that "pinned" topics can only be posted by certain users and not by everyone).

I don't mean a new topic for every time someone spots stolen content, I would suggest a single topic that is limited to just information on the channel, not everyone's speculation on the stolen content, just strictly for reporting found content. It could also be used for suspicious activities. 

21 minutes ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

I don't mean a new topic for every time someone spots stolen content, I would suggest a single topic that is limited to just information on the channel, not everyone's speculation on the stolen content, just strictly for reporting found content. It could also be used for suspicious activities. 

That is exactly what i suggested that some time ago, but it is needed to have a rank of admin or something like that to post a "pinned" topic?

Just now, ImanolBB said:

That is exactly what i suggested that some time ago, but it is needed to have a rank of admin or something like that to post a "pinned" topic?

Yeah, I guess we could always ask Jim and see what he thinks about it.

I wasn't going to report him, but he actually had the nerve to claim that he was the creator of the video! Like he straight up said "how do u know that its 'stolen'??? its not actually..... just asking eiw u think that it is stolen....." and when baba called him out he actually tried to "bribe" baba! it's ridiculous how cocky these people are!

another one I found stolen from brick builder. they even edited out his intro! pitiful

Edited by MRP_

OMG look at this : 

8 millions views on a stolen video! Seriously, this is awful. this need to be removed immediately from Youtube. I still don't understand why people do this.

Edited by Charbel

24 minutes ago, Charbel said:

OMG look at this : 

8 millions views on a stolen video! Seriously, this is awful. this need to be removed immediately from Youtube. I still don't understand why people do this.

Probably for money :(

Edited by Milan
Removed quoted video.

1 hour ago, Charbel said:

OMG look at this : 

Send a message to Akiyuky on youtube with the video, saying it's stolen. Then He can decide to pursue a copyright against it, and have it removed. My guess is that most of his content is stolen on the channel.

Well, that's not my account so the video is indeed stolen, but I don't think that 700 views in 2 years is enough to bother with taking it down. 

I found another one, Madoca's avtoros shaman seems to be a popular video to steal.

On 3/10/2017 at 4:05 AM, JJ2 said:

I found another one, Madoca's avtoros shaman seems to be a popular video to steal.

Not only that..but Lepin have made a real life set of it as well!

Edited by Milan
Please don't quote video from previous post.

8 hours ago, Richard Dower said:

Not only that..but Lepin have made a real life set of it as well!

Yes, I know, and they have done a cruddy job about it too. Let's not talk about Lepin though, the forum does not really like that,

Edited by JJ2

Hi all, sorry to resurrect a slightly older topic, but I have been having trouble with people stealing my videos recently and I wanted to seek your advise.

I uploaded some of my videos to YouTube (https://youtu.be/YqCm709V1kw and https://youtu.be/DbPBwtX-BaE), but they have been stolen and re-uploaded to Facebook without my permission.

The first one that I found (thanks to eldeeem on Flickr) had taken my video, stripped off my intro and outro, taken away my voice-over, used different music, and not provided any attribution/credit at all.
I contacted them to ask them to remove it, but they ignored my request.
So I filed a Facebook Copyright Infringement Claim, and the video was taken down within a few hours.
I also looked at the other videos on their Facebook page, and a quick search of YouTube shows that they are not the copyright owners for (at least some of) those videos either, so I left a message for the original owners on YouTube in the hopes that they will also file a Facebook Copyright Infringement Claim,

The second one I found kept my video intact, and even provided me with attribution, however they had still copied my video to upload it to Facebook without my permission.
I don't think this second one meant any malice as they did give me attribution, however I don't think they realized that they breached my copyright either.
As I am the copyright owner of my video, I am the only one that is allowed to copy the video.  Anyone else that does it is stealing it.

The problem with others uploading the video to Facebook or any other platform (apart from the copyright issue) is that I don't get any benefit from those views, such as more exposure of my YouTube Channel or YouTube Monetization.  The first one had 1.1 million views on Facebook before it was taken down, but those people don't know that it was my video.  As I currently allow my YouTube videos to be embedded, I would be okay if they chose to embed my original YouTube video or link to it rather than steal it and re-upload it, and then I would also get the benefits of the YouTube views.

Has anyone else had trouble with their videos appearing on Facebook?
Also, how do you find copied videos on Facebook if someone else hasn't notified you?
Searching for videos on any platform is difficult as you generally only have the title/description/tags to search on, but if they changed these then the copies can be difficult to find.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

This is somewhat unrelated to the topic, but I've noticed that the OP's Technic book is being listed on ebay as a PDF from time to time.  I don't know if that means it has been copied and converted (eg: stolen?).  

@Splat what you're experiencing is called "freebooting" ─ first learnt about it 2 years ago from SmarterEveryDay; Kurzgesagt has a great summary:

If your stolen video was taken down within just a few hours, it sounds like a whole lot better that what happened to SmarterEveryDay:

@miguev - Thanks for posting those videos.  I am subscribed to Smarter Every Day, but I don't remember seeing that video.  Maybe it just didn't apply to me at the time, so I didn't pay it much attention.  But yes, that is exactly what is happening.  I didn't get any notification from Facebook when the videos where taken down, but when I checked a few hours later they were gone.

Facebook recommends messaging the user first before filing a claim, but both of these users just ignored my messages.  I gave them 24 hours, and them filed the claim.  But in the future I think that I will just file the claim straight away.  Brothers-Brick blogged about my videos ( :grin: ), and they embedded my videos, so I still get views for that.  Now people on Facebook are just sharing the Brothers-Brick post, which is a much better situation.

I just wanted to point out that those "stolen" videos doesn't actually infringe copyright. Whenever I browse sites like rebrickable or this very forum, I never saw license terms attached to some model (unless instructions are sold). This said, if I take, for example, Sariel's model, assemble it and make a video about it, law says that I'm legitimate copyright holder.

Re-posting video is also "a-OK" in the eyes of law, especially when you do it on the same site (youtube). It may be some TOS violation, though.

Plagiarism is bad, but not illegal.

14 hours ago, xlib said:

I just wanted to point out that those "stolen" videos doesn't actually infringe copyright.

Wrong. If it's not posted under a creative commons license (or something like it) it's owned by the video creator, and you legally can't do anything with it unless you have permission of the owner. 

Of course, this being the internet, nobody seems to give a flying fadoodle about that.

Edited by mahjqa

@mahjqa

We all feel bad when something like this happens, but please refrain from using language like this when posting.

3 hours ago, mahjqa said:

Wrong. If it's not posted under a creative commons license (or something like it) it's owned by the video creator, and you legally can't do anything with it unless you have permission of the owner.

That's not accurate either.  What you can and cannot do without permission of the copyright holder is a complicated business, and varies by jurisdiction.  See e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitations_and_exceptions_to_copyright

On 5/1/2017 at 11:01 PM, miguev said:

@Splat what you're experiencing is called "freebooting" ─ first learnt about it 2 years ago from SmarterEveryDay; Kurzgesagt has a great summary:

If your stolen video was taken down within just a few hours, it sounds like a whole lot better that what happened to SmarterEveryDay:

Thanks miguev for the videos, I had no idea of this phenomenon and this makes me think twice about wasting my time scrolling down in Facebook...

@xlib if you're a lawyer, please let us know. Otherwise, I'd recommend against stating firmly anything about what law is or is not, or what's illegal or not. I just noticed you're the first to touch to the legal aspect of the problem at hand, and it looks like you've touched a sensitive topic ;)

If you assemble your own copy of someone's model and film it yourself, it is indeed your own video. If you then omit whose model it is, that's neither illegal nor against any Terms of Service, just plainly unethical. It is not plagiarism either, unless you claim the model is of your own design. Unless you are an great filmmaker and make a video as good the original, I don't think you'd be posing any problem for anybody, as most of the audience will stay with the original designer.

The problem comes when you download someone's video (specially a good one) and upload it as "yours" on Facebook, YouTube or any other site. Then you're effectively stealing content, audience and potentially ads revenue. To the best of my limited knowledge, this is not only against the Terms of Service of most sites, but also an copyright infringement, specially (or maybe only strictly so) if the content is registered as copyrighted work somewhere official like copyright.gov ─ and this is probably the main reason for content providers to react promptly to reports of copyright infringement, because they are at risk of being targeted by legal actions from content creators.

Another thing: there are 2 ways to share a YouTube video on Facebook, Bricklink, this forum or anywhere else.

The Good Way: take the URL of the original video and share that. In this forum, you can just paste it on your message and it'll show the video. This way, you're referencing to the original content (even if embedding it) so it's not a copyright infringement. The same goes for Facebook, Google+, etc. In other places you may need to use the "embedded code" that YouTube provides: http://www.simplehtmlguide.com/youtube.php

The Bad Way: download the video (which is against the Terms of Use of YouTube) and upload it to your Facebook (which is against the Terms of Use of Facebook) and then share "your" video, without every providing the URL of the original video. That's what "freebooting" is, and it is copyright infringement.

BTW, once a video is on Facebook, anybody can download it with a very simple trick, even if it's only shared with a small audience. Not a place for private videos.

In this forum topic we're reporting and discussing people who do it The Bad Way. In the last of Splat's comments, he mentions that Brothers-Brick blog is doing it The Good Way.