35945855912_6d5e046a65_b.jpg
[Digital Render] Mining Barge (Starmancer) by Artemiy Karpinskiy, on Flickr

Here’s something fresh. This is a fan-art of the mining barge from the currently-in-development indie space colony/station simulator game Starmancer (you can follow its development on their Tumblr blog) made in a gorgeous isometric pixel-art style.

Here's a mandatory rotational GIF:
796452689f0079b9d420a0878718c175.gif

Here's the source material created by one of the Game Devs:

tumblr_otaon8xrfT1w89avto1_540.gif

Edited by The Mugbearer

I like it. If you made this I could see you making some custom stickers to add some of those extra small details.

Just now, MovieMocs said:

If you made this

What do you mean if I made this? It's a MOC I've assembled in Lego Digital Designer and rendered in POV-Ray.

I could see you making some custom stickers to add some of those extra small details.

I can't see me making some stickers. Firstly, not all surfaces are decal-able, and secondly it's too much work I don't want to do.

I like it.

Thanks. =)

Oh...sorry that wasn't a very useful comment :( I assumed that since you displayed it on the forums as a digital file you hadn't actually made it out of real parts. and with the stickers I just thought that might look cool. When I comment I try to add some constructive comments so people can improve because if nobody gives you feedback how can you get better? That's my philosophy. Again, I love the model. I don't play the game but I saw some other pics and it is very similar. Great work, hope to see more of it :)

15 minutes ago, MovieMocs said:

When I comment I try to add some constructive comments so people can improve because if nobody gives you feedback how can you get better? That's my philosophy.

That's a good philosophy that I wholeheartedly support.

But you've assumed that I made it out of real parts. Can't blame you, you don't know me and what I do. But I am a purely digital MOCer.

16 minutes ago, MovieMocs said:

I don't play the game

It's still in development? It's not even released yet? Why do you assume again?

29 minutes ago, The Mugbearer said:

That's a good philosophy that I wholeheartedly support.

But you've assumed that I made it out of real parts. Can't blame you, you don't know me and what I do. But I am a purely digital MOCer.

Oh, cool. I tried to do a MOC completely digitally and I couldn't. I have to see the parts in front of my face to be able to make anything. Don't get me wrong, I love digital programs and I make instructions for almost all my mocs before I take them apart.

@MovieMocs I've got 10 years to get good at it honestly. And I've built up a significant LDD file library. :P You can take a look at my Flickr to see my latest works... I don't exactly post on Eurobricks often, people seem to overlook or just ignore my threads.

WOW You are really good at mecs! I'm following your flickr. I love your renderings, what do you use?

@MovieMocs I build with Lego Digital Designer, then use a fan-created utility to convert LDD file into a POV-Ray Tracer format, then render the file in POV-Ray. After that I usually do some post-processing in Adobe Photoshop.

Thanks for the follow! ^^

Edited by The Mugbearer

I read MovieMocs's first post as "if you built it [with real bricks], I think it would look good with stickers.", which I agree with, at least to add the pale diagonal "Caution" lines, or dark stripes near the rear top. No snark detected, I guess it depends on your state of mind when you read things. :classic:

If I can go off for a sec:

I get salty too that my stuff gets ignored, but it's not because no one likes it or there's something wrong with the builds. It has more to do with building stuff you love, but no one else cares about, so they don't feel the need to comment.

Make a modular building or Transformer with LEGO and watch as people come out of the woodwork to ask you to bless their babies with your godly touch. But build an obscure car in a scale no one likes, or a replica of a video game weapon no one uses and you're almost guaranteed to be dancing by yourself, or however the song goes lol.

Have you found any other LEGO forums that have a more active community, or are at least into other themes? I mostly post my stuff on Flickr too, at least there sometimes people ask for build tips and you can get a conversation going.

Anyway, I like seeing the results when people try to recreate something as accurately as possible with LEGO. Sometimes I slip into a zen coma as my brain tries to imagine how to fit parts together to get the right proportions or offset or whatever it is that's driving me crazy at that moment. :wacko: lol

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

1 hour ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

at least to add the pale diagonal "Caution" lines, or dark stripes near the rear top.

I could have probably added those to the bottom of the side sections by adding a bunch of decorated 1x1 plates and just replace the decos with a tile-able stripe pattern. Idk. :D

Make a modular building or Transformer with LEGO and watch as people come out of the woodwork to ask you to bless their babies with your godly touch.

It actually sounds similar to how the Bionicle fan artists struggle with their fellow fandom. Draw something of your own, and you'll get several likes and one vague comment. Draw a canon character, or a bunch, and you'll get showered with likes and praises.

Have you found any other LEGO forums that have a more active community, or are at least into other themes?

The TTV boards, although Bionicle-centered, was pretty accepting in regard of my non-Bionicle themed builds.

Anyway, I like seeing the results when people try to recreate something as accurately as possible with LEGO.

It's my jam: translating non-LEGO media into LEGO format. <3