42069 - Extreme Adventure - Rating  

202 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

2. 2. Do you prefer treads or wheels?

3. 3. Which of the wheels do you prefer? (multiple answers possible)

• Power Puller wheels and silver rims
    • Tumbler rires and black rims
    • 4x4 Crawler tires and black rims
    • Claas tires and red rims
    • Claas tires and yellow rims
    • Claas tires and yellow rims and hub caps
    • Unimog tires and silver rims
    • Unimog tires and yellow rims
    • Unimog tires and yellow rims with pulley decoration

10 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

One question though, what is the purpose of the 9L links?

I'm not 100% sure, I do need to remove them to see what happens. But the rear axle is held in place by two Steering Arms with Towball Socket, while the front only attaches to one of them. So I assume the 9L links are meant to keep the front axle in place and/or prevent it from rotating too much.

10 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

.... The track units do add a lot of parts though.

By the way, what is "the shotgun side of the vehicle"? Is that the passenger's side and if so why is it called that?

I think the play report by the children that visited you, is somehow the most enjoyable part of the review to read. I wonder, how much and what did they do with 42070, also compared with 42069?

Riding shotgun means that you are on the passenger side of the vehicle. It goes back to the Wild West area where you had two people on the Coach, one of them handling the horses (aka driving) and the other was using a shotgun to prevent bandits from taking over the vehicle. When you are planning on driving with four people and you are not the driver, you can call "shotgun" to get yourself the front passenger seat :wink: More information about Riding Shotgun can be found on Wikipedia.

The tracks only add 108 parts, so it still has a lot of other parts.

I had them build two pullback racers before introducing the two sets, so when they got to play with the tow truck, they were towing and hauling the pullback racers. Lifting them up with the crane and putting them on the bed. Oh sorry, putting them in the area where the bed is supposed to be :wink: They really liked to operate the outriggers before moving the crane. They 4 year old had some problems with understanding the functions, but that perfectly understandable, since it's not a toy for a 4 year old. I was seriously surprised that he has played with it for quite some time, with a little help here and there.

The 42069 allows for a more story driven play session. Paper towels turned into snow, Technic figures driving the car, using the Jerrycans, etc. And of course the Technic figures need to be pulled in by the winch and driven over by the 42070. They did suffer a lot, maybe that's why TLG is reluctant to bring these guys back :laugh: Since the 42070 is RC it can only be played with by one person at the time, but the 42069 allows for more kids operating the functions. Of course, this isn't always a benefit and can result in disagreement :tongue:

9 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Your 360 is making the page to ten miles across, and it doesn't seem to work.

What do mean by going ten miles accross? The pictures in the 360 are the same width as the other images, so it wouldn't make the page any wider.

I did notice that it sometimes doesn't seem to work, reloading might help. I have had problems on iOS devices too. Not sure why.

But it's not supposed to "screw things up".

9 hours ago, kolbjha said:

Thanks for an outstanding (as always) review Jim! Together with the review of Sariel, I'm totally convinced! Question now is whether to get 1 or 2 sets... IMO, the Unimog tires with yellow rims and black pulleys have the right balance between design and bad-***-factor. Thanks for these pictures!

BTW, is there an auto correct function on EB, that translates "alpha-sierra-sierra" into "megablocks"?

My favorite as well :wink: 

Yup, lots of words are automatically changed to megablocks :laugh:

8 hours ago, chezzymann said:

Im pretty sure that bricklink list is missing the Saturn V, I just checked mine and it has metallic silver wheels included

You could very well be right about that. My information (Bricklink) usually doesn't account for sets which are also released around the time of the sets I am reviewing. Might be a good time to finally open the box and check it out :tongue:

8 hours ago, JunkstyleGio said:

Thanks Jim....:wink:

Sorry to hurt your wallet Gio :laugh:

8 hours ago, Max The Ace said:

Funny that the most oddball of the 2H 2017 sets has now become my favorite of the trio.

Indeed funny how opinions can swift. I didn't like it one bit when I first saw it....and now I love it. I will definitely pick up a second copy.

8 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

One question - are the spare tread links on the roof supposed to be sleeping bags?

Nope, the spare treads are supposed to be...spare treads LoL :laugh: 
Although I like the way you think!!! :thumbup:

22 minutes ago, Jim said:

What do mean by going ten miles accross? The pictures in the 360 are the same width as the other images, so it wouldn't make the page any wider.

I did notice that it sometimes doesn't seem to work, reloading might help. I have had problems on iOS devices too. Not sure why.

But it's not supposed to "screw things up".

On my browser (Firefox, win10) the 360 is just a wide (1000px) picture of about 20 pixels high. I can just see the tips of the antenna and that's it. I can move them around though:laugh:

BTW: Excellent review. I have my version on pre-order with an estimated delivery date of another 5-6 weeks. Seeing it popping up in different stores already is going to be a test of patience...

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

7 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

Milan did an excellent job with this...

Jim, I do have one question, the LBG shocks that spring the doors open, I assume they are compressed when the door is shut, correct..?

He sure did. I have to take a look to be sure, but I don't think they are compressed. Maybe a bit, but not a lot. I would have noticed, since that really bothers me. The mechanism rotates/pivots from open to closed. Somewhere halfway the suspension is compressed but at the ends (open and closed) it's not (or not soo much). Interesting question, I will take a look and let you know.

Is it technic figure size? I've got a few, one is sitting in Brickmonkeys Mx5 on my desk at work

23 minutes ago, Jim said:

The 42069 allows for a more story driven play session. Paper towels turned into snow, Technic figures driving the car, using the Jerrycans, etc. And of course the Technic figures need to be pulled in by the winch and driven over by the 42070. They did suffer a lot, maybe that's why TLG is reluctant to bring these guys back :laugh:

Would you please take a picture with technic figure inside on seat and outside of the car? I also think you misplaced shock absorbers - hard should go front and soft into back.

3 hours ago, Jonfensu said:

On the "Highlighted parts" I would include (27940) - Axle and Pin Connector Hub with 2 Axles. It is the first set to have more than 3 in the inventory (11). Even the "flapship" does not have any one.

I am missing a picture with Porsche Rims and Wheels :laugh: - Even If it requires replacing the turntables with wheel hubs -

I could indeed have highlighted the connector you mentioned :thumbup:

The Porsche is at my work on my desk, so I didn't have the wheels when I shot the pictures. Otherwise I would also have tried to change the bodywork to orange. Let's say I didn't want to spoil the fun for you guys :wink: 

10 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

On my browser (Firefox, win10) the 360 is just a wide (1000px) picture of about 20 pixels high. I can just see the tips of the antenna and that's it. I can move them around though:laugh:

Interesting. I have seen the entire image without arrow, I have "seen" no image at all, but I have never seen a partial image.

1 minute ago, Ivan_M said:

Would you please take a picture with technic figure inside on seat and outside of the car? I also think you misplaced shock absorbers - hard should go front and soft into back.

That doesn't make sense, using harder springs in the front. i'm pretty sure they are placed correctly :wink:

I can shoot a picture with Technic figures. I was planning on doing that anyway, but I somehow forgot to do it.

10 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Just now, Jim said:

Interesting. I have seen the entire image without arrow, I have "seen" no image at all, but I have never seen a partial image.

Working perfectly here (Firefox, Win10).

10 minutes ago, Jim said:

That doesn't make sense, using harder springs in the front. i'm pretty sure they are placed correctly :wink:

I can shoot a picture with Technic figures. I was planning on doing that anyway, but I somehow forgot to do it.

Thank you. I have checked Sariel's speed build and you are correct, hard ones are in back. Based on my experience from mocing I would swap them because front is usually heavier due to more parts there

Thanks for the excellent review. Superb pictures as usual. Milan has done an awesome job at designing this. The B model also looks really well thought out.

Just to recall the last time when Lego used Ackermann geometry in their set was back in 1998 with the 8462 Tow Truck. The AWD and Ackermann system used together even more into the past we need to seek as we have to go back to 1994 and the 8880 Super Car. 

I think this is one of the best set for some time - congratulation Milan ! 

Jim - superb review !!!!

When I saw it for the 1st time, I thought...nothing...it did not leave any impression, any likeness, any dislike, any interest, nothing. Complete miss with me. Uninteresting neutral indifference.

Now I am 180deg opposite. I really like it. And it is very interesting for me.

It is still super odd vehicle, but good odd. I am not such a fan about decorating Technic with system bricks accessories (jerrycans, fire extinguisher, shovel), it is very very sticker heavy.

I would prefer white+purple or full purple.

But this is splitting hair. 

I like it. As a typical late adopter, and someone who is really behind with my building plans, I will not get it any time soon, but I will get it later. Even colour coding is tuned down.

@Jim Thank you very much for the review. Your standard - which means extremely excellent review. :wink: 

360deg is supercool, I would like to see more of these (BTW: how do you do it? I know how to render something like that in 3D but I never did it for "real picture")

Edited by J_C

8 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

Have there been any other sets that used regular shocks like this..?

One example is 8466, its dampened shocks are nearly completely compressed when the doors are closed.

4 hours ago, Jonfensu said:

Why small turntables instead wheel hubs

That's to separate the two functions:
1. transferring the forces from the chassis to the tracks
2. driving the tracks.

Otherwise you had all that force radially on the driving axle, giving you more and more plastic dust over time. GBC maintainers can tell you a thing or two about this. :wink:

I wasn't too sure on this kit, I think it is slowly growing on me. I think the reviews I've now read on this forum might have swayed me to go and buy this one.

Simply beautiful! :wub: Grohl's outdone himself. Not sure I'll actually be getting this since it's not construction or farming related, but it's a wonderful thing to look at and see demonstrated.

Great photos and a great review as well! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

4 hours ago, Jim said:

But it's not supposed to "screw things up".. It was the same width,

It would center to right side, and widening the edge of the page, like when a topic has a long title.

EDIT: no, still doing it.

Edited by Aventador2004

Great photos, review and a great set. 100% sure about buying this one. One thing I do not like though are the brown axels going through the support wheels on the tracks. They should be black or red.

Delicious review, clearly seen the affection of the author for it. :wink: :thumbup:

It is a car, but still something surprisingly different, so I am welcoming the treads. My only notice, that the gauge should be narrower, and normal wheel hubs could have been used in favor of normal wheel replacement. But this is still something easy to change in case.

did you notice the bad printing on page 2 of the parts list ? 3rd and 4th parts in 1st column of your second photo

4 hours ago, schraubedrin said:

One example is 8466, its dampened shocks are nearly completely compressed when the doors are closed.

There were several sets that used those dampened shocks for opening functions.. I was referring to regular or standard shocks being used like that...

Edited by Paul Boratko

Just now, Seasider said:

did you notice the bad printing on page 2 of the parts list ? 3rd and 4th parts in 1st column of your second photo

Nope and I still don't see it :look:

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Nope and I still don't see it :look:

sorry 3rd column of the grey parts, 3rd and 4th items down ... item 4 is over item 3's part id number ... i was zoomed in

On a side note you can't do a complete orange body, 3 of the parts that make up the bonnet arent in orange yet

Just now, Seasider said:

sorry 3rd column of the grey parts, 3rd and 4th items down ... item 4 is over item 3's part id number ... i was zoomed in

On a side note you can't do a complete orange body, 3 of the parts that make up the bonnet arent in orange yet

I see what you mean. 

The bonnet looks black enough to keep it this way :classic:

That's for a great review Jim. Just looking at this from first marketing pictures, most would be on the fence about this one at first. Getting to know how much value is packed into this set from detailed reviews will no doubt lend to a greater appreciation for the design of this set and (bad for us) less money in our pockets (but that's not a bad thing considering it will be well spent!). I for one will be looking to pick up 1 or 2 sets... well done Milan Reindl for another excellent design! Whilst not too sure at first about tracks as opposed to wheels, I now think it was a good choice as it's different and so easily modded anyway to change to wheels if one should be inclined to do so.